Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Hi

For Loas and Thailand only bike documents and Chinese DL is needed ! I will be takeing the same route as you back to the UK in June this year with 2 Chinese riders we are getting a Carnet to be safe but the cost is only 50% deposit to be held as security for the bike so in our case with the CF650G cost US 54,000 Rmb we need to leave about 27.000 rmb + the cost for the document .
    Sorry I can't give much more detail on this matter as the 2 Chinese guys are sorting this out now back in Shandong , but if you need further details I can find make a call and find out more for you.

Thanks for a speedy reply. The 150% info came from the internet not from the actual place where the issue ATAs. Im glad to hear its 50% and Im glad to hear your friends are doing it for you. That means I might be able to send my ATA after Mongolia to a friend here in Zhejiang who can cash in that deposit. I only think aloud.
    Dont want to trouble you to call your friends. I will try to find out more after the weekend, If I get stuck I will send you a PM.

Its awesome that you are doing the trip. Maybe we can meet somewhere in the Stans for a beer. You are riding back on bikes too?

2. #32 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    Two more issues that no one mentioned so far: fuel filter and inner tubes.
    Very good point Zorge

I don't know much about the YBR fuel injection, but most FI bikes can't take any kind of inline fuel filter. The fuel pump is usually inside the gas tank and they run at very high pressure. I had some problems with my V-Strom, but I had much better luck after changing to Sinopec.

If the YBR has filters in the tank, I would change them now and maybe carry an extra set if they're small.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #33 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    Thanks for a speedy reply. The 150% info came from the internet not from the actual place where the issue ATAs. Im glad to hear its 50% and Im glad to hear your friends are doing it for you. That means I might be able to send my ATA after Mongolia to a friend here in Zhejiang who can cash in that deposit. I only think aloud.
    Dont want to trouble you to call your friends. I will try to find out more after the weekend, If I get stuck I will send you a PM.

Its awesome that you are doing the trip. Maybe we can meet somewhere in the Stans for a beer. You are riding back on bikes too?
    Hi Modron

Frst thing you need to consider is with the ATAs web site you looked at, was it a Chinese ATA site or some other country ? because maybe the Chinese website site for Chinese people are cheaper then compared to the site you looked at? remember the 2 other riders in the my group are Chinese.
    Our rough planed route is.

!. Start Shandong but this could change to CF head office near Shanghai

2. Head towards Beijing ACE cafe could have a send off from here as well?

3. Head towards Hohhot border of Inner Mongolia to take the new S101 to Erenhot already done this route with a group of riders from Thailand travelling to Vladivostok Russia

4. work our way south part of Russia towards Moscow, now because the 2 other riders are Chinese we will head towards Latvia and not cross into Belarus this will save on 1 visa ? and keep in the EU.

5. The cut into Poland, Germany, Belgium, France to the UK

Yes the ride is back to China, but will take the south route to the foot of Italy and take the ferry across to Greece , then into Turkey, take the ferry over the black sea to Russia again if things are cool with Russia/ Turkey.

Now at this point we need to decide if we head into Kazakhstan or go around this country back into china the same way as we got out?
    I say this because the bikes we are riding ( CF 650G Police bike IMO is not the best bike to do this trip on )
    By this time we will know if the CF can handle bad roads hope to do a tyre change for this part and fit continental TKC 80
    Our trip we will be travelling with a full supported Ford LWB Transit van that will take all our riding gear and tools/parts , the TR comes in at 265 kg wet so we need to keep the kg down.

You are welcome to look at your route and timetable and arrange a hook up by this time I will be in bad need to talk to someone in English LOL, my group has very limited English skills heheheh and my Chinese is about as good as their English but I have been riding with these guys for the last 5 years in China, good riders, good mechanics good guys with loads of money lol .

I am hoping to set up a WeChat account for this trip maybe called Ace to ACE ? and will post the detail on MCM so other members can follow the trip with daily pictures and update with location maps.

Hope we can hook up along the way.

Steve (prince666)
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #34 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    Thanks ChinaV for taking the time to write such an informative post.
    It would be awesome to be able to replace oil after 6-7k km but I recon its impossible on my bike. Even when I used most expensive 15w50 Motul oil, my bike started to complain at about 3-3.5k km, is Spectro oil really twice as good to double the intervals? . I My bike does run a little hotter then it used to. I probably am going to stick with changing the oil cooler though I noticed the way the tubes are attached to the engine is a bit funny and Ill have to find a way to attach the ones from taobao.
    However, didnt have time to dwell on this much as am trying to sort out the legal issues. I hit the wall contacting customs about documents Id need to leave the country and enter again. Nobody seems to know in my little town, they are busy drinking their green tea and posting selfies on wechat.

Their is a friend of a friend in Urumuqi to whom Ill be sending tires and some other stuff. I remember reading on MCM that Urumuqi Yamaha center is nice and helpful so I will visit them for sure. I recon Ill need a check up after Mongolia.

Nice tip about the cables, Thanks.

@W3HS
    Thanks for the info on carbs. YBR250 is fuel injected so no problems here. It does run like a 50cc scooter at around 3500-4000m ;)

Fitted a oil cooler to my YBR 125cc with a TTO spark plug head readout found this is the best and easy way to check the engine temperature. found the engine around town run nice at 120/140c but would rise to over 180c flat out hard riding made a point to keep it under 200c much about this you will be running into the danger area but at lest I had this TTO as a warning? cheap to buy but you need to buy from a eBay site?

Here are a few pictures of my oil cooler set up.

hainan&thailand& china 2014 2015 236.jpg

hainan&thailand& china 2014 2015 238.jpg

hainan&thailand& china 2014 2015 447.jpg

hainan&thailand& china 2014 2015 510.jpg

A few links to TTO for sale ...

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/tto

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?poi...d=966987923148
    Attached Images
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #35 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    ...then into Turkey, take the ferry over the black sea to Russia again if things are cool with Russia/ Turkey.
    And to circumvent Georgia?

If I can judge from the words of a few of my friends and acquaintances who have visited/worked in Georgia, it is a sin not to visit this country.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

6. #36 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    And to circumvent Georgia?

If I can judge from the words of a few of my friends and acquaintances who have visited/worked in Georgia, it is a sin not to visit this country.
    Thank you for the advise I could end up being a sinner just trying to cut down on Visas needed !✂️

7. #37 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    It worth it!

8. #38 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Sorry for late reply Steve having laptop/internet problems.
    Your trip sounds amazing, Id love to go through Russia but its nearly impossible to get a visa for a Pole in a current political situation. Definitely you should start a thread here and post some pics, Im already preparing popcorn ;)

Knowledge is everything, have I known about that plug thermometer I would have gotten it long ago. I will get it before I get the new oil cooler and see if I really need one. Thanks for that.

I talked to ATA people and a nice girl there said its 40% deposit to Mongolia and there is no service charge until the end of August. She said also that deposits vary depending on a country and are cumulative, meaning that if one travels to 2 countries need to pay 2 deposits....and so on. This procedure sounds a lil strange to me. I really wanted to go it Iran but Carnet de Passages is about 300-400% deposit which put me right off. Now, Iran is in ATA zone so maybe I can get into the country with just ATA but this will require more research so stay tuned.

Zorge Im not sure what fuel filter is in YBR, Ive not looked into this yet. Ill make sure to replace it before the trip. Also I will be using Mr Funnel so this should give me some results.
    As for the oil tube connections, look at 13, 14 and 15 on the pic

The bolts that hold the tubes in place are next to the out/inlets which makes it more difficult to find the right replacement, I didnt have a proper look yet tho. Will have a lot of time in spring festival so I hope to get the gear/part shopping list then.
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (43.5 KB, 3 views)

9. #39 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Cunning bastards!

"Yamaha" people started to demotivate weekend mechanics straight from the drawing board.

Only they know why they used such fittings on oil cooler lines. If you are firmly determined to fit more efficient/bigger oil cooler, you could find some shop in your neighborhood with hose fittings crimping machine, remove old hoses on those inlet/outlet pipes fitted on the engine, fit new hoses ending with a fittings that new oil cooler needs and crimp all four joints. If you can get some really good clamps, you can omit to visit crimping machine shop.

10. #40 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    im probably a bit out of touch but is it too hard to pass through Iran? Do they require a Carnet?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast