Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. #51 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    As I recall, your plan is to start this journey this spring? I don't believe that overheating will be in top 10 of your issues.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

2. #52 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    I just found out as of the 1st January 2016 UK passport holders need a VISA for Mongolia now......
    Here is the list of country who are still visa free.

As you can't obtain a IDP in China I and the 2 other Chinese riders are just getting is a international translation of our Chinese DL , the other 2 Chinese riders talking to other Chinese people in China tells them it works ok ???

Fan looks ok should do the trick with only 10 weeks before we leave time is getting short to sort out the last details ...

VISA FREE COUNTRIES /with ordinary passport/
    Posted on 2016 January 21 by Selenge Taivanjargal

№ Country Duration of stay Visa exemption Agreement
    1 Belarus Up to 90 days 2013.09.04
    2 Brazil Up to 90 days 2015.09.21
    3 Hong Kong Up to 14 days 1998.06.18
    4 Israel Up to 30 days 1996.03.12
    5 Kazakhstan Up to 90 days 1994.12.02
    6 Kyrgyz Up to 90 days 1999.12.04
    7 Cuba Up to 30 days 2001.10.08
    8 Macau Up to 90 days 2004.07.03
    9 Malaysia Up to 30 days 1994.06.06
    10 Singapore Up to 14 days 1990.03.09
    11 Ukraine Up to 90 days –
    12 Philippines Up to 21 days 1994.05.13
    14 Turkey Up to 30 days 2013.10.10
    15 Laos Up to 30 days 2007.10.14
    16 Thailand Up to 30 days 2008.01.13
    17 Serbia Up to 90 days 2013.11.08
    18 Russia Up to 30 days 2014.09.03
    19 USA Up to 90 days 2001.07.06
    20 Japan Up to 30 days 2010.03.24
    21 Canad Up to 30 days 2013.10.12
    22 Germany Up to 30 days 2013.05.30

Fitted a set of YSS shocks to my Yamaha as well works fine should not have a issue

hainan&thailand& china 2014 2015 327.jpg
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #53 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I dont think overheating will be a problem at the beginning of the trip, later might be tho.

Its a bummer about the visa to Mongolia, I do need one now too. Called consulate in Shanghai but no one answered so went there only to find out that in February they cant process any visa applications. Im doing my Chinese visa now so I dont have my passport. I reckon I will stop in Beijing to get it on in the consulate at the Mongolian border in Erlianhaote.

How are you translating your DL? Through normal translating company or one that is accredited by Chinese Notary Public? I emailed every country Ill go through and got only one reply from Turkey, here is the email

First of all, we wish you a safe ride and successful journey on the motorcycle!

What we can suggest is the following steps by step:
    1) You can make your Chinese license translated into Turkish through an interpreter accredited by a Chinese Notary Public where you reside in China.
    2) Ensure that the translation be approved by the Chinese Notary Public.
    3) Ensure that the seal of the Chinese Notary Public be approved by the Provincial Foreign Affairs Office (FAO) of the province where you are residing.
    4) Bring the translation to the Turkish Embassy or the Turkish Consulate for the approval of the Provincial FAO’s stamp.

The above-mentioned steps will make the “translated text” a valid document in Turkey.

Up to date, the Consulate has made similar approvals for those Chinese national who have wished to rent a car in Turkey.
    However, yours is the initial case for us since you will be taking (riding) your own vehicle with you.

4. #54 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    I dont think overheating will be a problem at the beginning of the trip, later might be tho.

Its a bummer about the visa to Mongolia, I do need one now too. Called consulate in Shanghai but no one answered so went there only to find out that in February they cant process any visa applications. Im doing my Chinese visa now so I dont have my passport. I reckon I will stop in Beijing to get it on in the consulate at the Mongolian border in Erlianhaote.

How are you translating your DL? Through normal translating company or one that is accredited by Chinese Notary Public? I emailed every country Ill go through and got only one reply from Turkey, here is the email
    All 3 riders got these ...

http://www.drivenepal.org/

Been told by other Chinese riders these work ok and is better then having F... all

A IDP ( international drivers permit ) must conform to what is laid out in the 1968 convention.

Read pages 61 to 66 from the link here..... http://www.drivenepal.org/UN_Convention_NOTED.pdf

Is there consulate at the Mongolian border in Erlianhaote. ???

Just found this on the internet???? could be outer date

link...http://www.strippedpixel.com/mongolian-visa-erlian/
    Last edited by prince666; 03-29-2016 at 11:58 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #55 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I will call the consulate there to confirm before I go but it looks like there is one
    http://www.travelchinaguide.com/emba...g/mongolia.htm
    http://www.mongoliavisa.com/embassies-consulates.html

I have a contact to a guy in the Philippines who can help me transfer my Chinese licence into a genuine Philippine licence and then get the IDP. All can be done in 2 days but I need to be there and the whole process is not cheap. I am still waiting for a confirmation. If it wont work out, Ill get the same one you have. Did you get it on taobao or directly from that website you posted?
    Last edited by modron; 03-16-2016 at 05:26 AM.

6. #56 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    I will call the consulate there to confirm before I go but it looks like there is one
    http://www.travelchinaguide.com/emba...g/mongolia.htm
    http://www.mongoliavisa.com/embassies-consulates.html

I have a contact to a guy in the Philippines who can help me transfer my Chinese licence into a genuine Philippine licence and then get the IDP. All can be done in 2 days but I need to be there and the whole process is not cheap. I am still waiting for a confirmation. If it wont work out, Ill get the same one you have. Did you get it on taobao or directly from that website you posted?

It would be great if you can confirm that a Mongolian Visa can be obtained from Erlianhaote.

I am aware about the Philippine deal 1 of MCM members recently obtained both...

Yes I think my and the other 2 riders got the IDL from Taobao but you can apply direct from the web site.

Now this is how I see it........... "WE" in China with a Chinese DL CAN'T get a real IDP end of story no IF or BUTS FULL STOP ......

So country can't ask for one??? but I do understand each country must be satisfied that we have the correct license to ride a motorbike and we need to show our Chinese DL covers for motorbikes???.

So all we can do is get a IDL with a translation in 8 languages - six United Nations official languages (English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic and Chinese) plus German & Japanese.

WHAT IS THE INTERNATIONAL DRIVERS LICENSE

The International Driver's License (or Permit) issued by our Organization is a translation of a national driver's license which helps the motorist to drive in different territories without experiencing difficulties with various language barriers. This International Driver's License, however, can only be used along with the original driver's license.

The purpose of the International Driver's Permit is described in UN International Conventions on Road Traffic and Safety, which were held in 1923, 1943, 1949 and 1968, and established the standards for International Driver's Permit.

Many countries do not have organizations like, for example, the AAA in the USA, which provide International Driver’s Permit only for those who possess a US driver's license and want to use it outside of USA. Our Organization helps people from those countries that do not offer International Driver’s Permit overcome difficulties driving within foreign countries by providing an International Driver’s License.

The International Driver’s License is a translation/interpretation of a native driver's license and is very straight forward and easy to understand. The International Driver's License issued by our Organization consists of two parts: a plastic card and a passport-like booklet. The plastic card resembles the format of other well recognized Driver’s Licenses for easier comprehension. The passport-like booklet has English data numbered with a foreign language translation adjacent to it for easier comparison and understanding.

A IDP ( international drivers permit ) must conform to what is laid out in the 1968 convention.

Read pages 61 to 66 from the link here..... http://www.drivenepal.org/UN_Convention_NOTED.pdf

As a security feature, to avoid any forgery of International Driver's License, is the Security Shield Hologram that covers each card. It protects the card, prolongs its life and also eliminates any possibility of counterfeiting.

A database of all our members, which is securely located on a special web page, is worldwide accessible, The status of the persons who obtained International Driver’s License from us may checked by entering their name and IDL number in the IDL Verification window.

Possessing an International Driver's License has many advantages

1. The International Driver's License is intended to overcome the difficulties you might have while driving a vehicle in another country that may have different language requirements than your own. It's easy to imagine how this might solve your problems. If a police officer for some reason stops you, or you need identification, you shall present both documents, International Driver’s License and your original native driver's license. This way, obviously, the Police Officers can easily understand the contents of your native driver's license.

2. There is no official test required to obtain the International Driver’s License because it is a translation of your original driver's license. It is printed
    in 8 languages - six United Nations official languages (English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic and Chinese) plus German & Japanese.

3. If you need to rent a car, it will be valuable as well. In fact, in more than 150 countries you can not rent a car unless you have an International Driver's License. In Europe, travel officials say that "the International Driving Document is more necessary in some countries than others, but it's advised for most."

4. Also, an International Driver's License can be used as a secondary non-government type of identification. Please remember that all ID cards issued by our Organization are non-government ID cards and in no way can be used as a primary official valid type of identification.

5. The International Driver's License is recommended by most countries and mandated by many for driving.

Important Note

Your International Driver's License MUST be accompanied at all times by your original valid driver's license. You are not allowed to present International Driver’s License as the main document because it is a translation of your original driver's license. International Driver’s License is not a substitute of an official driver's license, as well as of expired or revoked driver's license.

That's my 10 cent on this matte

Just found out the cost and i have been advise it was 328 RMB and took 14 days to process
    Last edited by prince666; 03-29-2016 at 12:01 PM.

7. #57 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Fair enough, point proven and hope you are right. I still have some time before I leave so will try to figure out if that Philippine licence is worth all the extra cash.
    Cheers

p.s. Ill let you know about Erlianhaote

8. #58 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Fair enough, point proven and hope you are right. I still have some time before I leave so will try to figure out if that Philippine licence is worth all the extra cash.
    Cheers

p.s. Ill let you know about Erlianhaote
    I hope too I am correct if not then I will be "Up shit creek without a paddle" as well but I am 99% sure all will be ok .

P.S. will soon find out lol

9. #59 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I finally had some time so did some wrenching. I put crash bar on and changed steering bar to higher one which proved to be a pain in the arse cos clearly the bars for new bikes are a bit different. There are some welded bits that are in the way and there are no holes in places where there should be (for YBR that is). I had to put clutch and throttle cables outside cos they were too short but it shouldn't be a problem.

Doing all this I encountered a problem. When I turn my ignition to ON too fast it wont turn the bike on. I need to turn the key 1-2mm back and then the lights will come on. When I turn the key slowly and carefully its ok. It seems that there is a problem with the connection. I sprayed oil there generously but its still the same. Hope I wont have to replace my ignition before the trip, I will look into this later this week

10. #60 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    HI Modron

There are some welded bits that are in the way and there are no holes in places where there should be
    If you are talking about left- and right side switch cluster? then this is normal to drill a hole to locate the switch clusters.

I need to turn the key 1-2mm back and then the lights will come on. When I turn the key slowly and carefully its ok.
    Replace it now very cheap to do.....

Ill let you know about Erlianhaote

News ???

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast