Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Lifan LF250GY-2 - Need new Gearbox 
    Hi,

I have a very serious problem - I have a 6-speed Lifan LF250GY-2 (engine model: 173FMM) supermoto that has broken gears inside the gearbox. I don't even know how metal can break like this, it looks like it was made from glass. Very bad quality, and the bike has less than 4,000KM...

Anyway, tomorrow I'll get the final answer from the importer, but 99% they don't have and won't be buying any replacement parts for it.

What can I do, where can I buy a new gearbox or parts for a gearbox for this motorcycle? It's a very serious problem as I can't even drive it or sell it and I've already spend a lot of money on it.

Please help... I can pay for shipping for parts even from China if needed...

P.S. I'm located in South-Eastern Europe so any country in the Balkans that have parts would be of help, like Greece for example.

2. #2 Re: Lifan LF250GY-2 - Need new Gearbox 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhorn View Post
    Hi,

I have a very serious problem - I have a 6-speed Lifan LF250GY-2 (engine model: 173FMM) supermoto that has broken gears inside the gearbox. I don't even know how metal can break like this, it looks like it was made from glass. Very bad quality, and the bike has less than 4,000KM...

Anyway, tomorrow I'll get the final answer from the importer, but 99% they don't have and won't be buying any replacement parts for it.

What can I do, where can I buy a new gearbox or parts for a gearbox for this motorcycle? It's a very serious problem as I can't even drive it or sell it and I've already spend a lot of money on it.

Please help... I can pay for shipping for parts even from China if needed...

P.S. I'm located in South-Eastern Europe so any country in the Balkans that have parts would be of help, like Greece for example.

Hi Rocky

I have the same engine in my YBR have done over 20.000 km of hard riding and i have found the gearbox fine?
    Ok you have a problem, so here are some link for you to try and contact Lifan ....

Links.....
    http://www.lifan.com/English/
    http://www.motorcycles-china.com/Eng...01o3w8w1v3u8v7

Also look on here for a member called "English man in China" his name is Dave PM him and ask if he can help you this guy is very well connected in the parts department with all Chinese bikes.

I hope this helps

all the best
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Lifan LF250GY-2 - Need new Gearbox 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Hi Rocky

I have the same engine in my YBR have done over 20.000 km of hard riding and i have found the gearbox fine?
    Ok you have a problem, so here are some link for you to try and contact Lifan ....

Links.....
    http://www.lifan.com/English/
    http://www.motorcycles-china.com/Eng...01o3w8w1v3u8v7

Also look on here for a member called "English man in China" his name is Dave PM him and ask if he can help you this guy is very well connected in the parts department with all Chinese bikes.

I hope this helps

all the best
    Hey,

Thanks for the reply!

I just sent Dave a PM so we'll see if he can help out.

Lifan doesn't reply to their customer email address, I've tried that before :( I did find their Facebook page today though, and just send a message there. Their Facebook page says they reply in about a day, so perhaps their customer support works better over there.

Who knows, maybe one of these sources is going to be able to find me a new gear set :/

4. #4 Re: Lifan LF250GY-2 - Need new Gearbox 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhorn View Post
    Hey,

Thanks for the reply!

I just sent Dave a PM so we'll see if he can help out.

Lifan doesn't reply to their customer email address, I've tried that before :( I did find their Facebook page today though, and just send a message there. Their Facebook page says they reply in about a day, so perhaps their customer support works better over there.

Who knows, maybe one of these sources is going to be able to find me a new gear set :/

Dave is a good man also ask on here "humanbeing " he is the TAOBAO expert which is the Chinese eBay he should be able to find the parts you need on Taobao but you will still need someone in China to order the parts from Taobao or search on Goggle for people who are agents who buy and send out from china parts you need from Taobao cost a bit more.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: Lifan LF250GY-2 - Need new Gearbox 
    You might try Hamachi

6. #6 Re: Lifan LF250GY-2 - Need new Gearbox 
    Usually with the expense of fixing a motorcycle gearbox due to the complexity and therefore the time consuming nature of the work, in most countries given the cost of labor it is easier and cheaper to unfortunately change the entire engine.

Try to get Lifan to warranty the engine, or go with a 2nd hand engine from whomever Lifan cloned the original from. Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha most likely.

7. #7 Re: Lifan LF250GY-2 - Need new Gearbox 
    Here is a picture of the gear, you can see how much unused it is, the teeth are barely broken in, yet a WHOLE piece broke off from it (you can see it in the right side) and went into the other gears:

IMG_3150.jpg

Obviously the metal was not built up to the required tolerances for 20kW spinning power. I was very happy with my bike but I do not understand how the Chinese wish to compete with the Japanese while making porcelain parts for the gearbox...

Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    You might try Hamachi
    That was one my first tries, they don't have any parts for that engine :(

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Usually with the expense of fixing a motorcycle gearbox due to the complexity and therefore the time consuming nature of the work, in most countries given the cost of labor it is easier and cheaper to unfortunately change the entire engine.

Try to get Lifan to warranty the engine, or go with a 2nd hand engine from whomever Lifan cloned the original from. Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha most likely.
    I believe the warranty period is over.

Luckily, they finally did message me through Facebook! Email didn't work, but yeah Lifan responds via FB.

The bad part is they want around $140 in total for a complete gearbox and express DHL shipping. This is all good and I would receive the parts in just a few days. Will decide on Monday what to do once I can contact the mechanic again.

The labor is cheap here and I'll get it done for $70-$80. The problem is only replacement parts.
    Last edited by Rockhorn; 01-15-2016 at 01:31 PM.