Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    C-Moto Senior
    HI All

Well, I've owned one of these since July 2015

So, how does the bike perform?? Flawlessly, in a word.

The gear changes are very smooth, the acceleration is perfectly adequate, being a single, like my Enfield, whilst not super fast, you don't really slow down going up hills, either short and sharp, or long and steady !! The speedo appears to be relatively accurate, based on anecdotal evidence, as for example, when I slowed to an indicated 40mph for speed cameras, I kept parity with other vehicles around me doing the same.

So then, how does this compare to my other bikes, or bikes I've owned?? Well, I may possibly just have found my new favourite Chinese bike, finally pushing the Jinlun JL-250 off it's pedestal, no mean feat I tell you !! In many ways, Mash (Shineray) have realised the potential, that Enfield seem to be missing, by having an EFI 'classic' single at or below 400cc, and the difference in tax etc. It looks right, looks nice next to the enfield, and doesn't seem quite as flimsy as the Enfield, certainly gear changes are much smoother !! Obviously, for performance, it can't touch my since departed Honda XVS1300, or even my Triumph America, probably not the Diversion I got rid of either. It is however a pleasure to ride, it's a bit bigger than the 125's I've owned, and although probably not a huge amount quicker, has a much better road presence, and has that grunt that gives you the confidence to go up steep inclines, and not to mention, it has character in spades !!

Now then, interest from other road users and pedestrians. My Jinlun used to get plenty of interest, my Enfield still does, and based on my riding yesterday, so does the Mash, with a combination on thumbs ups !!, and some quizzicle looks, as people try and make out what it is !!

The big question is, would I recommend it, so far yes absolutely. 3000KM and no issues at all so far.

Anyhow, I think that's war and peace ended with !! So, have a look at some photos instead :)

IMG_4772.jpg
    MASH_XY-400_ROADSTAR_4.jpg
    MASH_XY-400_ROADSTAR_8.jpg

Cheers

Tony

They must have improve the gear box at that engine. When I owned the X5 the gear shifting was undefined and after 10k km I had a second neutral between 3 and 4 as I remember. Also the clutch never worked smooth on my bike.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

3. #3 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi

I hope so, honestly, so far, not even a hint of trouble.

Cheers

Tony

4. #4 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    They most likely have a second assembly line for export bikes hence higher quality

5. #5 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    C-Moto Senior
    I suppose they could, and perhaps Mash exercise some level of quality control?

6. #6 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    For sure they do, the material used in making those is not going to be as good as the original Honda CB400SS. For example you will never see an original with yellowing down pipes on its exhaust, because Honda used double walled pipes.
    I wonder if Honda has an issue with the copies or not and also if Mash secured the trademark for Von Dutch. Those issues do detract from sales, simply because if they do not have the rights they could be shut down and then the products have no support in the market. I suppose you could order any spares direct from China if that happens, but the availability would be based on how well they sell in China, the best Chinese bikes to buy outside of China are the ones that sell well in China, simply because you then can track down spares. Since the CB400SS was never sold outside of Japan getting original parts would be very hard to do also a Honda Dealer probably are not willing to work on them…if you ever need something done.

It’s tedious to follow the Chinese manufacturers in the markets, Jinlun as a brand had some past popularity in Europe and North America and since they seem to have lost that. The company behind Jinlun is called CIXI Kingring, they operate out of Zhejiang Provence, they may be associated in some way with Benda, and so your Jinlun twin may now be in a Romet in Poland? WK seems to also be offering a Benda product.
    Romet also intends to sell the CB400 Shineray in Poland.
    Last edited by MJH; 01-21-2016 at 03:34 PM.

7. #7 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi there

I do agree that the materials are unlikely to be a a standard Honda use, however, I can't guarantee that, the one I have is well put together, the chrome is good, if not exceptional, the nuts bolts etc are all stainless steel, so, i'm happy with the build quality, and, I could get hold of a 10 year CB400SS or pay less for the Mash 400, with 2 years warranty. Perhaps I'm lucky, as the dealership I got the bike from are very good, and nothing is too much trouble, and because I've offered to be a 'customner reference' I'm even getting cheaper servicing :-). I would have thought if Honda, or the owners of the Von Dutch trademark had something against these bikes, they've had plenty of time to do something about them. The Mash 400 (500) Roadstar, Von Dutch & Dirt Star have had loads of publicity in Europe, in various publications such as Classic Bike etc. However ..

Honda not having yellowing downpipes? Have a look here

HondaCB400.jpg

Also, I remember the exhaust downpipes on my VTX1300 discolouring as well.

Anyhow, it's soon to be available in the states as well

http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genu...ycle-for-2016/

So, no doubt, if the lawyers want to make some money, they will have every chance in the US. :-)

8. #8 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    Thats a CB400T, its a twin they never sold the SS super single outside of Japan. Honda is not an American Company so it be the Japanese that would be rasing any issues if they choose, not sure about the Von Dutch Trademark, it be a matter of reciprocity that being if the UK offers that for US Trademarks, its all a mater of due diligence, that being I would like to assume that anyone who ventures in would have done the research and not just do it without?

That’s interesting that Genuine Scooter will be importing those and the article claims some other models as well. They have yet to put it on their website…
    There is a local dealer here so if they come round I check them out, that dealer also sells Royal Enfield’s. They also are Chinese bashers, so they are about to get into hypocrisy again if they sell these.
    Last edited by MJH; 01-21-2016 at 03:59 PM.

9. #9 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    C-Moto Senior
    I know, it was just a general photo, showing discolouring on a Honda exhaust downpipe. The CB400SS is now pretty easy to get hold of, there are currently 10 for sale on ebay in the UK, and looking through the ads, almost all of them show exhaust downpipe discolouring, and at least 1 has quite substantial rusting as well of the exhaust downpipes, much like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB40...cAAOSw~otWctii

Also, not too sure what Jinlun has to do with topic. Yes, I owned one in the past, and loved it, I only stopped owning because it was stolen and burnt out. I thought, Jinlun effectively went to the wall, and the parent company predominently manufactures electric bikes now. I think over next 12-18months, there's probably going to be quite some consolidation of chinese manufacturers.

10. #10 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    Huh, so they did import those to the UK and yeah the downpipes are not double lined or they just rust?

WOW, did you read this
    http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genu...cle-in-detail/

"While that is the bike’s future, it’s the G400C’s past that’s more interesting. From 2002 on, a version of this bike was produced by Shineray for Honda, who sold it as the Honda CB400SS, seen below."

They claim that Honda made the CB400SS in China through Shineray...

LOL so is that true or has the deception been taken to whole new level….some interesting revelations either way.
    Last edited by MJH; 01-21-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast