Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi

Not officially, not on general sale, but there are importers who import them from Japan etc.

2. #12 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 

3. #13 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi

Yeah, it quite an interesting article.

4. #14 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genuine_Scooters

I always question myself and hate it when I get it wrong, there is liability on the internet for making false statements.
    I am fairly certain the CB400SS was made in Japan and can say that because it’s the truth. Only distributed in Japan to the best of my knowledge.
    Hey everyone wants to feather their own nest, however they have to sleep in it as well.

What I know for certain is that there are national regulation in most every country for stating a COO as the Country of Origin since the CB400SS was only distributed in Japan as far as I can see...the article claims presents conflicting information.
    Last edited by MJH; 01-22-2016 at 12:21 AM.

5. #15 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi OK

You have doubts, that's fine, to be honest, it doesn't particularly bother me where my bike was made, afterall, I had a British Triumph America, oh, only except, it was made in Thailand. The country where it's distributed does not necessarily mean the same as country of manufacture.

I remember working in the clothing industry, where dressing gowns would be imported from Turkey, but due to a loophole. Marks & Spencer could market them as made in Britain !!

Also, don't forget, there's a lot on the CB400SS, engine etc, still used on current Honda products, including their ATV's

I'm sure there are commercial reasons why Honda chose not to market the CB400SS outside Japan, just as there were likely commercial reason that Yamaha didn't market the XV400 outside Japan, instead, opted to market the XV535 instead.

I'm not saying whether the CB400SS was or wasn't made in China, and to be honest I find that detail irrelevant, however there are many tie ups / partnerships between western and chinese manufacturers, and not just in the motorcycle industry.

Airbus have a manufacturing plant in China and local tie ups, Embraer and Boeing also, many car manufacturers have tie ups in China, the list is almost endless.

6. #16 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    About exhaust pipe discolorations mentioned here: it is normal occurrence. On temperatures bit lower than 200 deg. Celsius, you are getting this yellowish tone, some 10 deg. extra / brownish, and so on, up to approximately 250 deg. when you'll get bluish/deep blue tone.

So, if your bike's exhaust pipes suddenly turn blue, you should know that something is not right (for example, air/fuel mixture is too lean, and the engine overheats). In all other cases, it is matter of aesthetics, nothing more.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

7. #17 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    It’s definitely a matter of esthetics, for example the Honda CB350 came with double lined exhaust pipes and they did not discolor if you see them with discoloration the pipes are not original.

8. #18 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    Not everyone cares that much about where something is made, if the CB400SS was for sale through Honda it could have any country of origin. Honda does not hide its manufacturing partners not in any way that anyone is aware of. Honda strives for consistency through its global manufacturing operations. Anyone that wants to know can find the information, it’s not a secret.
    So claiming a factory as a one-time Honda OEM rides on that premise, it conjures a logical assumption. That being if they made the model for Honda then it would be up to Honda standards. The problem is that the claim is not substantiated, just words on a very small web blog.
    For sure the model is a copy of a Honda and in that Honda has the rights to the design.
    It’s the responsibility of the resellers (Mash, Genuine) to get assurance from the OEM (Shineray) that it has the rights to make the copy from Honda. Those are typically contractually negotiated before and sometimes after the manufacturing, the later would be a settlement.
    Honda does not typically hide were its products are manufactured, the claim of Shineray being an OEM would mean they were doing just that and selling them in Japan and not disclosing they were made in China. Why would they do that, they do not do that with any other models. It all fall apart on the claim that the models made in China were exported to South Africa and other countries, if that was the case then they would be in those markets, if they were made from 2001-2009 there would be allot of them around and there are, but only in Japan.
    So you have a blog out of Chicago, that is also were Genuine is located, that makes this claim and in an article that is leading and for a reason that being to conjure a logical assumption.
    If genuine is going to import and sell the copy, they really need to make sure that Xinyuan really does have the legal rights to the design. I am pretty sure it’s impossible to hide were a vehicle is manufactured, to date I have never heard of any manufacturer attempting to do that, not any with any business sense. Yes there are loopholes, typically based on value added, based off inputs of material and labor, it varies by country.

9. #19 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    You must to take in account are exhaust pipes made of buffed stainless steel, chrome or nickel plated, wall thickness...
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

10. #20 Re: Mash (Shineray) XY 400 
    C-Moto Senior
    Eh?? Many, many items are manufactured in one country specifically for a market in another country, and yes, Honda and I suspect others etc, all have models manufactured in not just China, but in Brazil, Mexico, India etc, heck, they even build cars for export here in the UK, cars that are definitely not for the UK market !! As I said, I really don't care where my bike or car for that matter is manufactured, just so long as I like it and it runs fine.

The issues I've had with non chinese bikes, have not typically been any different, and at times have been worse than those chinese bikes.

Eg, the VTX1300, exhaust shrouds rotted through and came loose in under 3 years, the Triumph America, again, suffered corrosion issues with the laquer after being caught out in the road salt just the once, and the engine would cut out randomly, even after the dealer remapped it !!

If Honda really do have a problem with Shineray and their XY400, they have had over 2 years to do something about it, and, from what I can see they haven't, so, I would hazard a guess it's a non issue. It happens in other industries as well, for example, De Havilland Canada used to build the Twin Otter, however, production ceased quite some time back, and then a company called Viking bought the rights and now Manufacture and sell it once again as the Viking Twin Otter. Likewise, in the US, McDonnel Douglas built a licensed copy of the BAE Hawk, Martin Baker did the same with the BAC Canberra, going on to make their own derivatives, Harrier etc, it happens all the time, and not everytime is down to some ill gotten conspiracy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast