Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 CF650TR Pannier crash bars - Help with fitting please. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi All

I purchased a pair of these via tabao/agent. However, they didn't come with fitting instructions... Can anybody point me in the right direction please?

http://sea.taobao.com/item/en/522062...101.357.ChxrLl

Along with the pannier bars shown in the advert, was also these, shown below :-

TBR0B99EAW226937-3.jpg

So, if anybody has any idea how to fit these I'd be grateful. I've read I might have to take off the side panels, and the panniers themselves, again, any pointers there would be welcome, as I don't want to cause any undue damage to my bike :)

Many thanks

Tony

2. #2 Re: CF650TR Pannier crash bars - Help with fitting please. 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Tony, I have fitted pannier protection/crash bars to my 650TR middle of last year. The fitting is fairly straight forward IMHO.
    You will need to partially remove the panniers to fit the bars. The RHS pannier comes away/off far easier than the LHS pannier as the LHS has the seat release mounted inside with the cable which is very difficult to unmount.

You need to use an Allen/Allan key wrench to remove the bolts inside each pannier. Also remove the bolts underneath each pannier using a standard spannier. Like I state, the LHS pnnier won't come way from the side of the bike without unmounting the seat release mechanism and cable. If you cannot achieve this, then get yourself a stool, chair or such like to help support the pannier.

Easiest way to visualise the fitting of the bars IMO -> get a RHS bar, hold it aside/against RHS pannier, with the little 'U' shape bracket closest to the pillion/passenger footpeg. That should serve as a starting/reference point for you. The aforementioned 'U's shape mounting bracket attaches to the pillion/passenger footpeg. The other two mounting points thereby become obvious as to where they each mount. One will be to one of the underside pannier mounts, whereas the other will mount to the subframe mount between the bike and the pannier, and lastly the mount to the pillion footpeg bracket.

Not sure what that bracket is you have pictured in the plastic bag. The bars I bought were a one piece affair for each side, meaning no additional brackets required.

Hope this helps...
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #3 Re: CF650TR Pannier crash bars - Help with fitting please. 

Mounting points:
    Underside of pannier.
    Pillion footpeg/footrest.
    Beside pannier.
    Attached Images
    - Pablo Picasso

4. #4 Re: CF650TR Pannier crash bars - Help with fitting please. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi

Thanks, I did wonder what the extra brackets were, but, if i don't need them, all well and good. Also, thanks for the tips on fitting them, when the weather is dry enough, I'll wheel the bike out, and have a go :)

Cheers

Tony

5. #5 Re: CF650TR Pannier crash bars - Help with fitting please. 
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxyeti View Post
    Hi

Thanks, I did wonder what the extra brackets were, but, if i don't need them, all well and good. Also, thanks for the tips on fitting them, when the weather is dry enough, I'll wheel the bike out, and have a go :)

Cheers

Tony
    Just to clarify, my set of protection bars didn't come with any additional fittings other than the bars themselves and additional bolts etc (I used my own bolt hardware). The extra brackets you have been supplied with, may have a purpose depending on the design of the protection bars you've acquired. Once you roll your sleeves up and get into fitting the bars - it should become obvious if those additional brackets are needed or not.

- Pablo Picasso

6. #6 Re: CF650TR Pannier crash bars - Help with fitting please. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi

I'll find out, they look the same as your crash bars, and the extra brackets weren't on the tabao page for the crash bars, Like you say, hopefully, all will become apparent once I get started.

7. #7 Re: CF650TR Pannier crash bars - Help with fitting please. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi All

I purchased a pair of these via tabao/agent. However, they didn't come with fitting instructions... Can anybody point me in the right direction please?

http://sea.taobao.com/item/en/522062...101.357.ChxrLl

Along with the pannier bars shown in the advert, was also these, shown below :-

TBR0B99EAW226937-3.jpg

So, if anybody has any idea how to fit these I'd be grateful. I've read I might have to take off the side panels, and the panniers themselves, again, any pointers there would be welcome, as I don't want to cause any undue damage to my bike :)

Many thanks

Tony
    Recently fitted mine with the same crash bars, apparently CFMOTO changed some mounting points on the bike making it slightly different for different year model.

The following is based on the 2015 ABS version. You will need to purchase 2x M6 Bolts, 4x M6 Nuts(or 2x nylock ones), 4x washers

1. Remove Pannier
    2. Remove the plastic panel above the foot-peg mount, revealing the bolt connecting the sub-frame to the foot-peg mount, undo the bolt.
    3. Remove the retaining pin on the rear foot-peg, replace the pin with the bolt in your picture.
    4. place the bent bracket on the bar between the sub-frame and foot-peg mount, loosely attache original bolt.
    5. Attach the crash bar to the footpeg using the replaced bolt in step-3
    6. Place the bracket above the pannier rack, and use the bolt you purchased to clamp it onto the rack.
    7. Tighten up all the bolts and replace pannier and panel.

If you need pictures please PM me for my wechat number or email address.

8. #8 Re: CF650TR Pannier crash bars - Help with fitting please. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi All

Thanks for the replies, hopefully next week I'll have the opportunity to look at this :-)

Cheers

Tony

9. #9 Re: CF650TR Pannier crash bars - Help with fitting please. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi all

Well, had a go, and couldn't for the life of me get the crash bar to line up, also ended up taking more oft he side panels off than I'd intended. Perhaps I'll have another go.

10. #10 Re: CF650TR Pannier crash bars - Help with fitting please. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi all

Well, had a go, and couldn't for the life of me get the crash bar to line up, also ended up taking more oft he side panels off than I'd intended. Perhaps I'll have another go.
    Mine took quite a bit of elbow grease to fit, they are not very accurately made and do not line-up properly. Try do the footpeg first, then the peg bracket to subframe, then the one to the pannier rack.