Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
  1. #111 Re: Whats better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    Pure speculation on my part. I am going to the shop tomorrow afternoon to continue my registration, but it looks like all the new bikes have been sold/taken, so I won't be able to inspect them. I will ask the dealer, but you know how that goes here

Based on the other pictures I've found online, the radiator guard appears to have been added to the 390 sometime in 2015 production, which points to the white ones being newer, but not necessarily MY2016.

2. #112 Re: Whats better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    I just watched a video from KTM introducing the changes of the Duke 690 for 2016 and a short glimpse at the 2016 Duke 390. The 390 in the video did not have a radiator guard like the one in your picture. So that is quite weird. I thought the only change made in 2015 was that the radiator fan shroud redirected the heat downward now taking a lot of the heat off your legs.

So confusing, How does the clutch feel on your model? Is it definitely the Slipper clutch?
    I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

3. #113 Re: Whats better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    Finally Bo is registered, plated, and nestled in my courtyard for the night.

So my suspicions were confirmed, the white ones ARE newer. I dumpster dived the boxes, 5 bikes in all, including my own. All of the black ones were MY2015, March 2015 production. All of the white ones were MY2015, January 2016 production.

One of the new white bikes hadn't left yet and I got the chance to compare it side by side with mine. No discernible external differences other than the radiator guard.

There was a KTM Engineer from CF Moto onsite delivering a 1290 Adventure. He spoke very good English and looked over the bikes together with me out of genuine curiosity. He wasn't aware of the internal changes for MY2015 other than the slipper clutch. He also didn't think there were any MY2016's kits in China yet, but he would find out when they are expected for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Asymptomatic View Post
    ...So confusing, How does the clutch feel on your model? Is it definitely the Slipper clutch?
    Yes, my bike definitely has the slipper clutch. I put it through its paces doing some engine braking. However, you can get the back tire to scratch a little if you get too aggressive going down to first, it rev matches cleanly everywhere else.

Anyway, to be on the safe side you might want to consider a white one. If my dealer is any indication, CF Moto seems to be cranking the bikes out at a good pace so I wouldn't expect any significant delay.

KTM is telling me we can get theft insurance for a little more then 400rmb. Did they mention this to you? I just read the GW250 stolen thread and though, well this might be a good idea if it is legit. Last time I looked into theft i could not find a insurance company that offered it. I already got the radial wheel lock, huge chain lock and alarm.
    The shop owner confirmed theft insurance is available through the shop from PICC. They are checking to see if they can add it to my policy. Also, I am "stealing" your lock ideas

4. #114 Re: Whats better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    Interesting News:

I talked with my dealer and he stated that they have the bikes with the radiator guard. He even has a black one he just got in. However, he said they are not the 2016 model and that they just come with a radiator guard.

He also said that he will be getting the 2016 model in April and if I wait to buy until April that I could get one then vs take one of the bikes they just got in. Now I am debating waiting longer for the 2016 model. He said since I made a deposit I can have the very first one to come in. He said he will do what he can to find the differences for me.

Important: How will you store your bike at home? Do you have a garage or place for motorcycle parking? I was thinking about buying a cover on taobao that has a metal frame kind of like a tent that I can just drive into. I also plan to buy a ground anchor so I can fasten my bike to the ground overnight while in that tent. Am I going overboard. Will a tree and a traditional cover be fine? I need this bike to last 4-5 years so I want to take real good care of it.

We do have a garage thing here for bikes but it is packed full of them and i always see motorcycles laying on their side so I want to avoid it. However I live in a Chinese army residence so that place does have a full time army guard hanging out in front. It is a gated community with Army guys at both gates.

While writing this the dealer called and said nothing else changed for the 2016 model.

I have not gone to a dealer yet since it is 4 hours away. How light does the bike really feel? How nimble does it really feel? How jumpy is the clutch and throttle at low speeds?
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

5. #115 Re: Whats better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    ...How light does the bike really feel? How nimble does it really feel? How jumpy is the clutch and throttle at low speeds?
    It's my first bike, so I don't really have any basis for comparison other than to say yes it feels "light" and "nimble" to me.

As an inexperienced rider it is surprisingly easy to perform "stunt-like" maneuvers. The bike seems to say, "Oh, you want to go? Watch this!" Then executes everything in a fluid like manner while faithfully accepting input from you, all in the blink of an eye.

Afterwards the bike looks back at you over its shoulder, grins and says "See?", and you think "Well, I guess that's how we do that."

The throttle is snatchy at low speeds. Clutch is not jumpy at all. It's the transition from closed throttle to low throttle positions at low speeds that you notice it. From my little bit of experience tuning ECUs I'd say it's a fueling issue, most likely too lean on decel. It's a minor annoyance. You'll learn to compensate.

6. #116 Re: Whats better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    Important: How will you store your bike at home? Do you have a garage or place for motorcycle parking? I was thinking about buying a cover on taobao that has a metal frame kind of like a tent that I can just drive into. I also plan to buy a ground anchor so I can fasten my bike to the ground overnight while in that tent. Am I going overboard. Will a tree and a traditional cover be fine? I need this bike to last 4-5 years so I want to take real good care of it.

We do have a garage thing here for bikes but it is packed full of them and i always see motorcycles laying on their side so I want to avoid it. However I live in a Chinese army residence so that place does have a full time army guard hanging out in front. It is a gated community with Army guys at both gates.
    Mine will be inside the walls of a private home chained to a pole in the courtyard. Do I even want to know why you live in a PLA compound?

I wouldn't put too much stock in most guards, although they will certainly be a deterrent. I would just chain the bike something immovable/difficult to cut and put a cover over it to keep it clean and out of sight. Maybe a two-way paging alarm if you're paranoid.

The tent idea sounds nice for convenience as long as it doesn't scream, "SOMETHING VALUABLE IN HERE!"

7. #117 Re: Whats better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mot View Post
    Mine will be inside the walls of a private home chained to a pole in the courtyard. Do I even want to know why you live in a PLA compound?

I wouldn't put too much stock in most guards, although they will certainly be a deterrent. I would just chain the bike something immovable/difficult to cut and put a cover over it to keep it clean and out of sight. Maybe a two-way paging alarm if you're paranoid.

The tent idea sounds nice for convenience as long as it doesn't scream, "SOMETHING VALUABLE IN HERE!"
    I live in the military complex because my wifes entire family is military. Her mother, her father, her grandparents, her uncles. Literally everyone but her. We bought a home in her mothers name and her mom got us a great deal on a home in the complex. No crazy reasons but I should make up a story.

I was thinking about getting a few of these anchors. One for each of my schools and one to put in front of my home for my bike and then put the tent over it. What do you think about them?
    TB2zaxiaXXXXXaZXpXXXXXXXXXX-64343345.jpg
    http://world.taobao.com/item/3889193...ucket=2#detail

I was thinking about this cover tent thing.
    TB2oZ6KiFXXXXXUXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!646639229.jpg
    http://world.taobao.com/item/5255400...ucket=2#detail

I had one of these cover tents. Worked well.
    For the anchor ring put them somewhere at a wall so that the chain is hanging free.
    That makes it for thief very difficult to cut a chain.
    You just would need to find another solution for the cover
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

9. #119 Re: Whats better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    I had one of these cover tents. Worked well.
    For the anchor ring put them somewhere at a wall so that the chain is hanging free.
    That makes it for thief very difficult to cut a chain.
    You just would need to find another solution for the cover
    They make ground anchor U bolts. I was planning to use a few on the frame of the tent to lock it to the ground up against the building. Then I planned to put the motorcycle anchor toward the center so I could chain the open frame to the anchor which should also keep the chain off the ground.

Did the wind ever blow your fold over cover around?

I never a problem with it.
    I had bolted four screw as instructed in the ground. At very heavy wind the temporary deformation looked scary. But it not collapse or has been damaged
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast