Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    i prefer carbs over EFI. I have riding mate with an X2 EFI and he has only trouble with it.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

2. #22 Re: What’s better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    My guess would be that any model sold in China over 150cc without EFI has some sort of falsified papers. The factories likely printed out more certificates then they manufactured, my guess would be that there are allot of 250cc models being registered as 150cc models?
    I would expect that at first production models with EFI would have issues that eventually get resolved.
    There is a government crackdown on manufactures and also some making efforts to offer models with EFI, eventually you will see more and more of them.

Once that becomes the normal the prices come down, the false option goes away with the crack down and the higher prices of EFI then fall as it becomes common. I am not sure if the configuration on the Jialing is problematic or not, this is likely a copy of that configuration and component parts?

It makes very little sense to pay more for the EFI and get headaches, this bike has the same engine and sells for under 9k RMB. Its made by Shineray.
    http://mall.newmotor.com.cn/motor/314.html
    Last edited by MJH; 02-15-2016 at 03:09 PM.

3. #23 Re: What’s better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    OP here. Wow, what happened in this thread? Dirt and Dual Sport as far as the eye can see!

They look like loads of fun off road, but is that really what I need to tour? I am concerned with reliability first and street performance second with the assumption I will be buying a bike in China for touring China/SE Asia two-up.

I will say, the Yellow River is a handsome bike and tempting at 10k, but reading the forums you guys have me scared of Chinese bikes altogther.

I want to buy once and ride

4. #24 Re: What’s better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mot View Post
    Like the titles says... What’s better for me than YBR250/YS250?

So MOT, While your thread was completely hijacked by our CRF250 and X2 nonsense, did you come to a conclusion on what you might get?

I am thinking I will end up with the Kawasaki Z250SL ABS. Mainly because I am not a good mechanic and we don't have any good mechanics in Changchun. I took my Chinese bike to the mechanics here and they seem to break more then they fix and try to do everything the wrong but easy way. I had them install new turn signals and instead of pulling the wires down and un-clipping them they cut, twisted and taped... that is just one example of the local mechanic fail here. Now I am learning as I go doing it all my self. I think the Kawasaki might be a safer bet for me. Hell, they could not even align my front wheel so the new breaks did not rub. They took two hours fiddling and said the new break disks must be bent. I went home, loosened the calipers, spun the wheel, grabbed the breaks hard, repeat and held the brakes while tightening the calipers. No rub now. Took one forum and 5 minutes of work for a guy with no clue to figure out. Drives me crazy.

I would love to hear what you decide and why. I will be purchasing at the latest, mid March. Maybe my decision will be influenced further. When I first started looking I was going to get the CB190R. However I am paranoid about its power when riding outside the city and carrying my 220 pound body along with any luggage. Maybe I should diet for the bike? Not to mention, the extreme lack of actual user reviews on line. It is all speculation.

Sorry Shuben, I am scared of needing to repair the Shineray and having no idea what I am doing. I also like the idea of ABS on the Kawasaki for emergency rain stops. Last spring I slid quite far and removed a fair amount of skin from my left leg, side and arm. I also had a concussion and a huge lump on my head because I did not have my helmet on. (I almost always wear my gear) A taxi swerved in front of me and I hit the brake a little hard and locked it up and forced a low side. Ripped my handle bars completely off, ripped the left fairing off, tore the mirror off, tore the foot peg off and bent the front left disk. I hobbled around my house like a woman pregnant with quintuplets forever.

Needless to say, I am really sad about not getting a CRF but since I am dropping 38000 I want to make sure I am getting the best bike I can for the price with reliability and ABS being important to me.

Here is my off brand Chinese make. I am sure you have seen similar knock offs rolling around town.

12509281_10201214129470778_8478337018190670780_n (1).jpg

5. #25 Re: What’s better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    If I may weigh in.....

-Forget hp/kW, look at torque numbers.
    -I rate quite highly Japanese bikes made in Thailand and by Sundiro in China.
    -KTM Duke 390 'on paper' is the best bike for you, but made in India and assembled in China, so that's a bit scary.
    - Jianshe and Haojue bikes seem OK and pretty solid, but the latter seem a tad better.
    -All Chinese bikes are a crapshoot. People sing from the highest mountain about how good theirs is, Shineray, CFMOTO Benelli etc, but sometimes that's luck, and the next guy has been through the ringer with the same bike. Domestic versions can be worse too.

So, I think I would be inclined to agree with you the Z250 would be the top of my list, especially if you are thinking of bringing a pillion.

no worries. I wont talk u in a X2. For me the continuous maintenance and improvement is fun and i love to have my hands in oil. But of course I still have my GS any time available as long as it is gas in. So i do not depend on the X2.

The Z250L ABS is a great bike. My friend has one. I rode it and can say it has a very smooth engine and a wonderful neutral handling setup. I loved to ride it. Only it is too small for me (185cm).
    Anyway i think it would be a good choice.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

7. #27 Re: What’s better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    If I may weigh in.....

-Forget hp/kW, look at torque numbers.
    -I rate quite highly Japanese bikes made in Thailand and by Sundiro in China.
    -KTM Duke 390 'on paper' is the best bike for you, but made in India and assembled in China, so that's a bit scary.
    - Jianshe and Haojue bikes seem OK and pretty solid, but the latter seem a tad better.
    -All Chinese bikes are a crapshoot. People sing from the highest mountain about how good theirs is, Shineray, CFMOTO Benelli etc, but sometimes that's luck, and the next guy has been through the ringer with the same bike. Domestic versions can be worse too.

So, I think I would be inclined to agree with you the Z250 would be the top of my list, especially if you are thinking of bringing a pillion.
    Everything plays a role: valve train, compression rating, transmission gearing, and so on.

8. #28 Re: What’s better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    Progress...

The KTM Duke 390 is out. No one made a compelling case for it, plus the tiny fuel tank (limited range) and almost non-existent pillion seat spoil it for me, but because my local KTM dealer is just across the alley from the Honda dealer I will still go sit on one and rethink my life.

The Honda CBR190F is also out. Consensus seems to be its not enough bike. It’s cheap and it’s a Honda seems to be all it has going for it.

Also it appears the Z300 is not available in China, so we’ll slot the Z250SL in its place.

9. #29 Re: What’s better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mot View Post
    Progress...

The KTM Duke 390 is out. No one made a compelling case for it, plus the tiny fuel tank (limited range) and almost non-existent pillion seat spoil it for me, but because my local KTM dealer is just across the alley from the Honda dealer I will still go sit on one and rethink my life.

The Honda CBR190F is also out. Consensus seems to be its not enough bike. It’s cheap and it’s a Honda seems to be all it has going for it.

Also it appears the Z300 is not available in China, so we’ll slot the Z250SL in its place.

Oh god, more to think about. My wife really likes Honda. She wants me to get the Honda CB300F. Since it sells for only 3000 more RMB. Is this bike legal here in China?

CB300F vs Z250SL
    286cc vs 249cc
    30.4hp (a little lower rpm range) vs 27.6hp (a little higher rpm range)
    27Nm vs 22.6Nm
    145mm ground clearance vs 180mm ground clearance
    780mm seat height vs 785mm seat height
    158kg mass vs 150kg mass
    13L tank vs 11L tank

Both have ABS
    Honda comes with twin airbags (never thought about that on a bike before)

So Honda has more HP, torque, fuel capacity, passenger comfort, airbags, a lower seat height for my short self and a more upright seating position.

The Kawasaki is lighter, it is likely more nimble, has more ground clearance, is a little more narrow and is prettier.

Where would you put your money?

Honda CB300f

2015_CB300F_2000x1275_Red_42515B.jpg

Kawasaki Z250SL

2015-kawasaki-z250sl-spells-naked-fun-the-sfw-way-photo-gallery_24.jpg

10. #30 Re: What’s better for me than YBR250/YS250? 
    Ok so let’s slice this a different way. We’ve eliminated a couple of contestants and not identified any serious contenders (going once, going twice…)
    You’ve drawn my attention to a couple of important points. Ground clearance and torque. Let’s have a look at our field.
    Model GC(mm) Wgt(Kg) CR Torque(nM) Price (RMB)
    CB300F* 150 161 10.7 24.0 @6k 35-38k
    250SL 180 137 11.3 22.5 @8k 29-35k
    GW250 165 183 11.5 22.0 @6.5k 24-26k
    YS250 180 154 9.8 19.5 @6.5k 20k
    *I am presuming the naked Honda is legally imported into China. Only the faired version, CBR300R, is listed on Sundiro’s site, but I am pretty sure I sat on one last summer at the local Honda dealership.

How much ground clearance is enough? Obviously more is better, but what’s considered seriously lacking? Poster’s here comment on the GW250’s apparent lack of ground clearance, but is 15mm less than the YS250 really that big of a deal?

How about the compression ratios? Is crap fuel out in the rural areas going to give me problems?

Experience or opinions on the pillion seating?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast