Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Dual Purpose Tires! What do you use and why? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    Just compare to the data of the original tire. They tell about the dimension like rim width, tire height etc
    I found the tires everyone suggested on Taobao in the same size. 150/60/17 rear and 110/70/17 front, but with the tread being so much larger then a street tires tread I just wonder if the tread might rub the fender as it sticks out further.

2. #12 Re: Dual Purpose Tires! What do you use and why? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    The Kenda K270 is good on road and rough terrain but forget it in real mud. Then its closed instantly.
    On sand must watch out a bit but give nice drift opportunities with my X2-300cc.

@Doc: I wonder how u get out 7k from the Karoo3!?
    My rear one was totally done after 4.5k. The front one I have stored for now to use later again.
    How many percent do you ride on offroad terrain / soft ground?
    That's an average estimate. Don't know the percentages of tarseal versus other surfaces... I ride... if I come across gravel, stones, rocks, dirt, sand... or whatever I just keep riding, albeit more slowly depending on the conditions...

I don't worry about percentages... when it comes to riding... I just ride my bikes; including my ADV bikes as intended by the designers... to go almost anywhere.

When I get back to PRC I will be posting up another RR of PRC - > Laos -> Thailand etc. Lots of off road... on my GS. It's gotten dirty and even taken a couple of naps...
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #13 Re: Dual Purpose Tires! What do you use and why? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Asymptomatic View Post
    I found the tires everyone suggested on Taobao in the same size. 150/60/17 rear and 110/70/17 front, but with the tread being so much larger then a street tires tread I just wonder if the tread might rub the fender as it sticks out further.
    I don't think you'll have any trouble with the knobs clearing at those stock sizes. Here's some pictures of a Duke 390 with big ole knobby Continental TKC80's installed. 150/70/17 rear and 120/70/17 front which are dimensionally much larger than stock, even before taking the knobs into account.

Clears stock fenders, albeit just barely.

IMG_20150829_162450.jpg
    IMG_20150829_162507.jpg

Pics/info from here:
    Tire Sizes: KTM Duke 390 Forum
    Photos: KTM Duke 390 Forum

4. #14 Re: Dual Purpose Tires! What do you use and why? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mot View Post
    I don't think you'll have any trouble with the knobs clearing at those stock sizes. Here's some pictures of a Duke 390 with big ole knobby Continental TKC80's installed. 150/70/17 rear and 120/70/17 front which are dimensionally much larger than stock, even before taking the knobs into account.

Clears stock fenders, albeit just barely.
    Sweet! That is all I need to know. Can't wait to get mine home and go for the first ride. Actually I have to pick mine up in Shenyang. That means I have to ride 4 hours home. I will start our relationship out with a 300km + ride.

Hopefully one day I will make it south near you and we can see where the road takes us.
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

5. #15 Re: Dual Purpose Tires! What do you use and why? 
    Shenyang? That's my old stomping grounds. Maybe I'll make it up there for a nostalgia tour.

How's that going to work out for service/warranty? In China it seems they won't honor the warranty if scheduled service isn't done at an authorized outlet, which is a huge adjustment for me. I never let anyone touch my vehicles with the exception of bodywork and even then it's never up to my standards.

6. #16 Re: Dual Purpose Tires! What do you use and why? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mot View Post
    Shenyang? That's my old stomping grounds. Maybe I'll make it up there for a nostalgia tour.

How's that going to work out for service/warranty? In China it seems they won't honor the warranty if scheduled service isn't done at an authorized outlet, which is a huge adjustment for me. I never let anyone touch my vehicles with the exception of bodywork and even then it's never up to my standards.
    Great questions. For warranty work and service during the first year I either need to make the ride to Shenyang or if the bike can't make the trip I have to pay for the train ticket to my city. So it will be about 400rmb more per service to have them come to me. After the first year I will do everything my self if it is small and pay my dues if it is something I can not handle. I am no mechanic so I have no choice at the moment. I did just buy a old Dayang 150cc standard for 300rmb that does not run. It has been sitting for a few years. My goal is to rebuild it and start learning as my new hobby!

If you ever can come this way let me know. I will make it a point to take time off work to go tour some country side with you and even just meet you in Shenyang to tour the city with you.
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

1. Get a comprehensive good set of tools,
    2. Get the repair manual for the related bike
    3. Find a reliable machine shop where you can let make special support tools or parts
    4. Find a clean place with good lights and a bike support (don't crawl on the ground)
    5. Learn the Sesame street song: who does not ask stays stupid
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12