Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Shandong to Thailand, Summer 16 
    C-Moto Regular cryptographicide's Avatar
    Hey.

I'm planning the next trip already. Although it feels like I just got back from the last one. This time, the plan is to take the bike, straight from my apartment to Thailand. Then throw the bike in a dumpster and go back home. At that point the 233cc bike will have around 20K km and will be nearly toast. (Of course I'll try to sell it, but I'll take anything at that point)

Beyond that, I only have two dates. My responsibilities end around the end of June and my Visa expires Aug 8th. But there are some creative things I can do to extend that a bit. This means I have 5 weeks to drive from Yantai to Laos.

I'll be going alone this trip. The wife has found herself a job in Canada that starts before the end of term. She will be going home without me. So, I'm wondering if anyone wants to share the road.
    1995 Suzuki Intruder (2005-Present){Canada}
    2003 Daelim Daystar (2011-2012){S. Korea}
    2014 Jialing 200 GY5A (2015-Present) {China}

2. #2 Re: Shandong to Thailand, Summer 16 
    Hi Cryptographicide

From longkou which is just West of you to Chiang Rai is just under 4000 KM by the toll roads I done the route in a car in just over 50 hours , by bike and not on the toll roads allow yourself a good 7 days but that's still nearly 600 km a day but try to hop on the toll roads when you can which will save a lot of time and headache.

The timing of your ride will coincide with the wet season for Thailand and south China so be warned,
    would love to ride with you but I should be near the UK by that time on the big one Longkou - London - and back and not due back to China until the start of September.
    Wish you well if you need some advice about border crossing to Thailand just ask or read BikerDoc RR on MCM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Shandong to Thailand, Summer 16 
    Tempting tempting, bookmarking this thread. However, I am still in the process of buying my first bike and contemplating other summer plans.

4. #4 Re: Shandong to Thailand, Summer 16 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Great general info about Thailand and bike riding = http://www.rideasia.net

APrider

5. #5 Re: Shandong to Thailand, Summer 16 
    Is this not the Forum that a old member from MCM (MY China Moto ) post now? and reading his last post on Rideasia says .....

Quite understandable they implement restrictions in Thailand in the future seeing how they (MCM = Muppets-Clowns-Morons) drive in the Middle Kingdom every single day and you don't want them dodgy illegal motorbikes in the "Land of Smiles" either.... nuff said'...
    link.... http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-f...8273#post58273

People now can understand more why he got banned from MCM NUFF SAID

Rideasia is mainly concerned with people riding in Thailand and Laos and most member live in Thailand and Laos with little or no knowledge of riding a Chinese bike from within China to Thailand with the experience of doing such a ride with the first hand knowledge of border and custom requirements for Chinese plated bikes.

MCM on the other hand has many long standing members who has done this trip many times and has posted very good information in RR on MCM, with 2 members currently riding in Thailand.

But I would agree that when you are in Thailand/Laos then RA comes into play.
    AS a former member of MCM saying MCM= Muppets-Clowns-Morons

I like to think MCM stands for

M = MORE ( Because members on MCM know more about riding in China)
    C= courteous (Because MCM members are just nice people )
    M=Mentor (Because others look up at us and learn?)
    Last edited by prince666; 02-29-2016 at 12:36 PM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #6 Re: Shandong to Thailand, Summer 16 
    I love muppets. All of my PJ's have muppets on them. My favorite are my animal PJs. There are like a thousand pictures of the muppet "animal" being awesome and goofy on them. They are great.

Being said. I take no offense to being called a muppet. My wife calls me muppet all the time.

7. #7 Re: Shandong to Thailand, Summer 16 
    Bump,

I'm calling again to see if there is any interest. I am able to ride, maybe. My wife is most likely not coming as her job is falling into place nicely. I had some trouble last week with the bike (All I'll say is negative experiences) and do not want to ride alone. I'll probably end up getting put in prison for refusing to take Chinas ideas of motorcycle safety and regulation respectfully lying down. I would really like someone else around so that I have someone who can tell me. Dude, you're gonna need to relax in those particularly sensitive times.

That being said, I would like a riding partner for the trip. So here is me selling myself:

I am a pleasure to ride with. My rule is the same as an improv actor: Always says yes and add to it. I can do long days and hard days and I can do cheap hotels and saving money. I can do expressways but I still have a few places in China that I want to see. Namely Longman Grottoes, the three gorges dam, and yunnan. Gonna spend some time in Yunnan. If you also wanna see these things and wanna have a great time this summer...you should be coming with me. I dislike straight-aways and know how to find the awesome twisty mountain roads. My bikes top speed is a pathetic 110 km/h.

Sadly, if I don't find anyone, I'm not going. I've decided this. I will simply sell the bike and return to Canada with my wife when she returns. I've gotten to the point that I'm tired of it all. I still wanna go through with the long trip...but I can't do it alone.

8. #8 Re: Shandong to Thailand, Summer 16 
    Hi
    Just on my way back to Longkou from Thailand crossed the border with Laos into China today and have traveled over 500 km today with BikerDoc who is on his BMW GS in a town called Lvchun in Yunnan - roads are mostly great with loads of mountains loads of corners and bends - if that's what you like. Lots of road works though in different parts. Some roadworks are running 100km or more of roading, meaning a variety of road surfaces encountered. Can be hard going and not advisable on anything other than a suitable DS or ADV bike with offroad tyres.

Best you do it very soon as the talk from the Thail government is that cars and bikes will be banned or very strict rules in place to limit vehicles coming to Thailand from China .

So it's, now or never.
    Last edited by prince666; 04-07-2016 at 08:42 AM.

9. #9 Re: Shandong to Thailand, Summer 16 
    OhGod. I do not blame them one bit. Do you think it will have been restricted by Aug? Can you keep me informed of the details, or if it's available publicly, could you share a link?

@ Prince666 My weeks are quite quiet these days. I would love to drive up to longkou one weekend. Perhaps we can do a little 4 day trek around shandong next weekend, or the weekend after. I'll take a few classes off. The boss-woman said that would be ok. What do you say, sir?

10. #10 Re: Shandong to Thailand, Summer 16 
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptographicide View Post
    OhGod. I do not blame them one bit. Do you think it will have been restricted by Aug? Can you keep me informed of the details, or if it's available publicly, could you share a link?

@ Prince666 My weeks are quite quiet these days. I would love to drive up to longkou one weekend. Perhaps we can do a little 4 day trek around shandong next weekend, or the weekend after. I'll take a few classes off. The boss-woman said that would be ok. What do you say, sir?
    Love too should be back in Longkou on the 7th send me a PM with your Wechat name and I make contact with you when I get back and I will send you the link about Thailand when I get back as well as I am only working off my IPhone just now .
    As regards to the new restrictions with cars and bikes in Thailand it's just talk for now and IF appplied I can't see it coming into affect untill the next Chinese New Year 2017 !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast