Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Shanghai newbie ... yet again 4 years on! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Back in Shanghai again, since 2011.
    Went back to Singapore to get my full bike license and did a solo ride across Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand-Cambodia-Laos

Shamelessly .. I only get to join a tour to ride Tibet in a CJ750 sidecar back then in 2011.
    Since i'm back here, it doesn't make sense for me to explore SEA but rather the North Asia!!

I will need to get my license converted here though...no more procrastination!
    with no consideration to buy my own bike here ... just yet!

I'm planning a ride within Xinjiang region (Can I roam freely without a guide ?)
    Anyone here knows where can I rent a bike in Xinjiang or outskirt town so I can ride in ?

2. #2 Re: Shanghai newbie ... yet again 4 years on! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Finally have the time today to get my license converted in Hamil Lu.

I'm wasn't interested in the C1 license like everybody else there!
    I wanted to get the D license quick so I can plan my tour on a sidecar.
    But to my frustration, my Singapore Class 2 license (400cc above) can only get a E license!

'Because here in China, D License is only for 750cc and above!' - the police chief emphasised.. Twice!

Now I have to go back home and check official website for rules, get it translated and re-submit again!

Anybody else have similar experience or already got their D ?

3. #3 Re: Shanghai newbie ... yet again 4 years on! 
    UK Types of Licence

A1 (Lightweight)

If you are aged between 17 and 19 this is your only option. This can be taken on a machine between 120 and 125cc.
    Upon passing the A1 you will get a full licence to ride on motorways and take pillion passengers, but you will never be able to ride anything bigger than a 125cc machine that produces a maximum of 11 Kwh (14.6 Bhp).

When you have held an A1 test for a minimum of two years you may upgrade to an A2 Standard licence by taking another 2 part practical test. You will not need to take the CBT and theory test again if you chose this route.

A2 (Standard)

If you are aged between 19 and 24 this will be your 2nd option.

If you have not already passed the A1 test then you must first take and complete a CBT course and the motorcycle theory test.

The test and training must be taken on a machine of a minimum engine size of 395cc that produces a maximum of 35 Kwh (46.6 Bhp). A minimum of 20 Kwh (26.8 Bhp) also applies. Upon passing you can ride any size/cc of motorbike but the power is capped at 35 Kwh (46.6 Bhp) this will never increase!

The other restrictions on this category are, the machine cannot be restricted down to 35 Kwh if it produces more than 70 Kwh or 93.5 Bhp in standard trim (from the manufacture) and the maximum power to weight ratio must no more than 0.2Kwh per kg.

When you have held an A1 test for a minimum of two years you may upgrade to an A2 Standard licence by taking another 2 part practical test. You will not need to take the CBT and theory test again if you chose this route.

It is possible to obtain your Full A Licence at 21 providing at least two years have elapsed since passing the A2 test.

A (Full) Direct Access Scheme

If you are aged 24 or over then you will be able to do Direct Access.

If you have not already passed the A2 test then you must first take and complete a CBT course and the motorcycle theory test.

The test and training must be taken on a machine of a minimum engine size of 595cc and must produce at least 40 Kwh (54 Bhp).
    You must be at least 24 years old or can be taken two years after passing your A2.

Upon passing you can ride any size/cc of motorbike.

CHINA Types of Licence.

You past your test on a 250cc and then you can ride all size C.C. motorbikes.?

Just don't make sense to me that you have a license to cover up to 400cc for a sidecar from your home county and the police dick heads are saying "NO". when you can buy a Shineray 400cc Side Car here in China ?

Need to go back and argue this point again IMO.

But China is a logic free zone
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #4 Re: Shanghai newbie ... yet again 4 years on! 
    I thought C1E is car and motorcycle and C1D is everything including sidecar. Next the police chief will probably make up something about automatic vs standard transmissions. Chief doesn't like whitey driving in China.

C1D is definitely car + sidecar incl. Motorcycles.
    A CCM limitation is not in place.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

6. #6 Re: Shanghai newbie ... yet again 4 years on! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    My guess is my Singapore Class 2 license doesn't state ’Sidecar‘ in the license.
    though it is legaly allowed with only guidelines on sizecar size and modifications compliance.

While Chinese D license is for 'Ordinary Three-wheeled vehicle'