Why do we put up with this sort of poor quality?:

Just reading a road test where, and I quote:

“ Poor performance was traced to weak valve springs and a badly adjusted carburettion and ignition at the factory...a fast tickover was necessary to prevent plug fouling...tranmission snatch was evident at below 3000 rpm...the handlebar brake lever was seen bending under the stress of heavy braking...steering weaved all over the place at high speeds...after a couple of 1000 miles several bulbs were broken due to vibration, this vibration had split a fork shroud, the rear number plate and the battery carrier broke. The next 1000 km brought another broken battery cradle, the rear mudguard had split at all its mounting bolts, the other fork shroud split, the headlamp mounting bracket had sheared its welds, the regulator-rectifier mounting tab had broken...
There was a constant need to re-tighten nuts and bolts that kept coming loose.
The reverberation through the silencer meant the pillion passenger could not keep his feet on the pegs for more than a few seconds at a time as the silencer mounting bolt shared the same bracket as the footpegs...oil leaks from tappet inspection caps and pushrod tunnel and oil consumption of 400 miles per pint...”

Errr...

Wait a minute chaps...I'm sorry, I’ve picked up the wrong road test by mistake, this one is from a November 1967 Motorcycle Sport Magazine and the bike?: a brand new Triumph Daytona 500. At that time Triumph had been making bikes nearly 70 years...

So you see, we’re not that badly off with our Chinese junk.