Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 2 weeks to ride! Starting in Jilin. Where to go? 
    Hello everyone!

I have the last two weeks of April off and I would like to go for a trip to somewhere. I am leaving from Changchun. No plans as of yet. Any suggestions? Also, I need to pack as light as possible. I will be making this trip on a Duke 390 with street tires. So I won't be able to do anything crazy till I get the bike modified a little later in the season.

jilin.jpg
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

2. #2 Re: 2 weeks to ride! Starting in Jilin. Where to go? 
    Pyongyang?
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

3. #3 Re: 2 weeks to ride! Starting in Jilin. Where to go? 
    check this RR out i done about 3 years ago very nice ride

Link ......http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-f...n-dandong.html
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #4 Re: 2 weeks to ride! Starting in Jilin. Where to go? 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    check this RR out i done about 3 years ago very nice ride

Link ......http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-f...n-dandong.html
    Very cool pictures. The trip looks rewarding and peaceful. I went through most of the thread. You took the S303? You mentioned making a map for others and would post it but I did not see it in the thread.

With a motorcycle that has only about 200km of range will there be enough fill up stations?

Also, some of those roads look like they were getting a little rough. Is that something I can make it through with street tires? I won't have dual sport tires till I go to America in August.

My Chinese is slim to none. Still new to China. Do you think knowing the language is a necessity in that area?

How was cellular reception?

If you have some time and can answer a few of those questions that would be great!
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

5. #5 Re: 2 weeks to ride! Starting in Jilin. Where to go? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Asymptomatic View Post
    Very cool pictures. The trip looks rewarding and peaceful. I went through most of the thread. You took the S303? You mentioned making a map for others and would post it but I did not see it in the thread.

With a motorcycle that has only about 200km of range will there be enough fill up stations?

Also, some of those roads look like they were getting a little rough. Is that something I can make it through with street tires? I won't have dual sport tires till I go to America in August.

My Chinese is slim to none. Still new to China. Do you think knowing the language is a necessity in that area?

How was cellular reception?

If you have some time and can answer a few of those questions that would be great!

From Changbai Mountain head west side of the mountain heading south on the S302 ??? towards Hyesan then pick up the S303 heading down river but try to keep close to the river all the time if that's means coming off the S303 then let it be so.
    At some parts you need to head inland as the roads don't follow the rive all the time but believe me the beauty of the ride is to keep close to the river all the way if you can?
    In 2011 the S303 was under road works but should be all done by now, I can't speak about all the other roads as things change so quick in China.
    So to your question about your tyres? based on my ride if we take out the S302 because let's say all the road works are done now, then you will be fine on road tyres but if you do the trip with loads of rain then the river road is prone to landslides which could be a issue like you see is some of the pictures I posted, IMO that's all the fun of a ride like this expect the unexpected but just take your time and you should be fine.

Carry so spear fuel and you should be fine.

Your Chinese is slim mine is slimmer lol just use your phone with a app ? all a part of the fun IMO

Like most remote parts of China and I have done a few cellular reception is good but I would down load a off line GPS map so reception will not be a issue with locations

Hope I have answered all the question ok if you need some more information just ask, Changbai Mountain is a must ????

Don't worry to much about this and that most things can be sort with $$$$$ just do the trip and all will be fine.

Good luck.

I think the best part would be the North part of Changbai which I have to do so a great ride would be to start Tumen or Hunchum and head south to Changbai and the take the route I posted that would be a good ride and you can say you have done all the border between China and North Korean ???

If you get time check out Google Earth and trace the route and click on some of the pictures posted on Google Earth.

Looking at your start location my route would be jump on the Express way from Changchun G12 heading east to Jilin and bye pass Jilin at the north side and pick up the G302 heading towards Jiaohe Dunhua Antu Yanbian looks like the G302 could be interesting road.

Looks about 450km from Changchum to the North Korean border .... a day ride lol

Link to road map .....https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...s.kAcCXtFHm6xM
    Last edited by prince666; 03-13-2016 at 06:16 PM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #6 Re: 2 weeks to ride! Starting in Jilin. Where to go? 
    I will definitely take this trip but wait until I get my bike changed up for the rough roads. Looks great and I feel I should wait until some of the green is back. It would prove to be much more beautiful then the barren dead foliage we have now. Thanks for the input.

For this two week break I am thinking to just get to know Jilin better by going to check out all the neighboring cities and towns. Once I have seen my province, the world is green and I have DS tires I will venture into the wilderness beyond! Hopefully, someone else will pop up and want to take that trip with me.