Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Build your own kit bike 
    C-Moto Senior englishman in china's Avatar
    Hello lads and lasses,

I've been given the opportunity to get involved in a business producing and selling kit bikes. We have a nice looking cafe racer which has a Zongshen 125cc engine (full EURO 4 certificate) and the idea is to provide it in kit form with tools, instructions and instruction videos to enthusiasts who may like to build their own bikes.

The bikes will be branded 'Levis' which is an old, legendary marque that won the TT a couple of times back in the 30's.

The whole kit will cost around 20000 RMB (2 thousand quid) and will offer a selection of different colours, and certain parts.

I would like your opinion on the project before I start it as an ongoing business. Good? Bad? Daft idea? Inspired genius?

Please let me know

all the best

Dave

Here's the beast in question

Cafe retro.jpg

2. #2 Re: Build your own kit bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by englishman in china View Post
    Hello lads and lasses,

I've been given the opportunity to get involved in a business producing and selling kit bikes. We have a nice looking cafe racer which has a Zongshen 125cc engine (full EURO 4 certificate) and the idea is to provide it in kit form with tools, instructions and instruction videos to enthusiasts who may like to build their own bikes.

The bikes will be branded 'Levis' which is an old, legendary marque that won the TT a couple of times back in the 30's.

The whole kit will cost around 20000 RMB (2 thousand quid) and will offer a selection of different colours, and certain parts.

I would like your opinion on the project before I start it as an ongoing business. Good? Bad? Daft idea? Inspired genius?

Please let me know

all the best

Dave

Cafe retro.jpg

Hi Dave
    With stuff like this I say if you are not prepared to lose ALL the money you put into a project like this ??? and can afford to lose such money, then don't do it.???

Good luck
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

In China that will fail. The rich guys don't want small bikes. The simple guys will buy 8k RMB 125cc bikes.
    More or less all of them have no handcraft skills and if they have they have no space to work on this hobby.
    And crazy guys like me ... Have money, space, skills, tools ... But too less time ...AND ... Have a wife that says "no, not another bike"
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

4. #4 Re: Build your own kit bike 
    But look at those spokes...

BTW, Dave, something that looks like this pricey "Black Douglas" would be much more interesting offer.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

5. #5 Re: Build your own kit bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by englishman in china View Post
    Hello lads and lasses,

Please let me know

all the best

Dave

Cafe retro.jpg
    Hi Dave, Nice machine! Are you working with this yourtube vlogger? https://www.youtube.com/user/serpentza/featured He makes custom cafe racers from copy CG's etc. :) If you are not working with him then perhaps you are on to something as he seems to be doing OK for him self cash/business wise. :)

6. #6 Re: Build your own kit bike 
    SerpentZA used to be, or still is, a member here. I remember his name from a few years ago.

7. #7 Re: Build your own kit bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post

AND ... Have a wife that says "no, not another bike"
    Ha!! Plus 1
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

8. #8 Re: Build your own kit bike 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    In China that will fail. The rich guys don't want small bikes. The simple guys will buy 8k RMB 125cc bikes.
    More or less all of them have no handcraft skills and if they have they have no space to work on this hobby.
    And crazy guys like me ... Have money, space, skills, tools ... But too less time ...AND ... Have a wife that says "no, not another bike"
    +1

On another note, how would one get the bike plated inside PRC LFZ? Will the kitset come with all of the documents required or necessary to complete those formalities.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

9. #9 Re: Build your own kit bike 
    Buying something that needs assembling is essentially an excuse gateway for buying more tools. Quality tools last a lifetime and having the right tool for the job will make all the difference and ensure skin remains on your fingers and nuts and screws can be undone again in the future.

While a kit bike will only be as good as the man that built it, and that is the problem if you are selling to the domestic market.?

But I do have 1 question......

What would be the saving on the kit bike compared to "IF" it came fully assemble by you.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

10. #10 Re: Build your own kit bike 
    That market segment in the UK is locked in a minimum price war, Direct Bike, Lexmoto, Sinnis and WK battle for sales of the little retro bike segment. The lowest is pegged right now at 899.00 GBS plus shipping. There are other versions selling for more, Like Herald asking 1,750 for their Classic and then their Mutt version for 2,750.00.
    A flooded market always sets minimum prices.
    All of those share parts, they all come from the same supply chain.
    Selling custom/spare parts to them would be possible, but not very lucrative.
    Selling kit bikes at a premium would not likely get many takers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast