Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Lifan USA

1. #1 Lifan USA 
    A friend of mine who knows the guy running American Lifan (the current version) said he visited their So. California headquarters where they have some of the new models coming to the US (the US EPA allows the temporary import of bikes by distributors for trial purposes and they can only remain for a year [don't quote me on exactly one year but I think that is the case] and have to be sent back or destroyed).

Even though their site shows the promising FM 250V, they are not planning to import this bike due to costs/MSRP vs. competitors' prices (i.e. Honda CB300). They are planning to bring the Mini 150 (not shown on their site), the KP200 and KPR200, their XP200 enduro (also not shown on their US site), and a few others. If the Orlando Motorcycle show happens as scheduled, it seems like they will introduce their lineup there, as teased on their site. Apparently they will not continue carrying the Pony 100, but will have the 250 cruiser (Royal 250).

http://americanlifan.com/

2. #2 Re: Lifan USA 
    As long as they sell cheap and online they would do ok, not sure what list prices they should use, my best guess would be under $2,200.00 delivered for the KP models. The royal would need to be at or around $3,500.00 delivered. The dual sport should be under $1,800.00 delivered.

I wonder if they have figured out what a shop manual is yet?

3. #3 Re: Lifan USA 
    I wonder why the LF250-3A and LF250-GY2 are not being considered?

I would consider the Cossack GY2 it has a 20hp 249cc, the bike is a modified Honda FTR223 with a more powerful engine. They sell them mostly in Russia, I image the emissions testing in Russia is similar to that in the US? They have certification regulations in Russia. Seems that Lifan sells these also in China so they meet those regulations as well? Hard stuff to sort out for the average Joe.

4. #4 Re: Lifan USA 
    I got some photos this past Thursday which my friend got from his buddy who is running American Lifan. These were taken from the Lifan booth before the Miami motorcycle show which I forgot to post.

Not the greatest photos, but do reiterate that the KP200/KPR200 will be their flagship models. Apparently they are banking on the savings in retail price of the 200 (near identical) bikes will be much more palatable than their FV250 which will be too close in price to what I guess is the CB300.

IMG_1365.jpgIMG_1364 (1).jpg

5. #5 Re: Lifan USA 

6. #6 Re: Lifan USA 

7. #7 Re: Lifan USA 
    These were pre-show photos, and obviously don't show all the bikes not directly in the photos clearly; for instance, if you look at the rear of the larger 4-wheel thingy, you can make out an enduro, but it is not clear. I can see a rear drum brake, which might help narrow it down based on the Chinese corporate site and their lineup of enduros shown there?

Their site has not been updated as of yet, so I anticipate it will be, and will also show better photos from the show.

I watched a Mototek video of the KPMini 150, and that seems like quite the bike as compared to all the bikes now in the Grom class. I am coining the term GLV, or 'Grom Like Vehicle' considering we have something like 6 or 7 bikes in this class and growing, with the top of the list being the two 'brand-name' bikes, the Honda Grom 125 and the Kawasaki Z125, and the rest being Chinese interpretations. The Lifan is unique having a vertical 150cc. It looks fast in the Mototek video...