Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 CC goes to Deal's Gap, BRP - Non CMoto 
    Last weekend the Versys and I had a meeting down in Tellico Plains, NC at the western end of the Cherohala Skyway and near Deals Gap (The Dragon). The idea was to meet a bunch of old Honda V4 cronies down there at Hunt's Motorcycle lodge but first ride the ol' Blue Ridge Parkway down to Boone, NC and stay at the Willville Campground in Meadows of Dan, VA.

A departure from fun and light weight single cylinder bikes, the Versys is more Interstate capable and comfortable for two people. Not only that, but it's my first fuel injected bike and while it proves reliable so far, I do kind of miss the low speed throttle control of carburated bikes.

Both campgrounds are great and worth a visit if you're in the area. Twisty roads are everywhere and the cops are minimal (except on the Dragon of course).

Anyway, here are some pics if you're interested. I may post the GPS tracks later but I expect many of you have already been on the BRP, Cherohala and Dragon.

First lets start with some Versys overlook pics! :)

In Virginia, much of the vistas look like this and get a little more dramatic in North Carolina.

And on the BRP, much of the roads look like this. VERSYS HEAVEN!

There's no doubt the V is a great bike for twisties and an extremely competent all rounder...

...especially when farkled out for touring.

Once at Hunt's Lodge in Tellico I met up with a bunch of old V4 cronies and we did the usual croning and consuming of beans, BBQ and inebriating beverages.

Let not forget good times around camp-fires!

and talking to the wee hours...

Beautiful stars that evening as well. As a matter of fact, the weather couldn't have been better on Friday and Saturday.

---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

The next morning, the crew got up and prepped to ride the hills and mountains of NC and TN.

A scrumptious breakfast which consists of eggs, biscuits, gravy and cheese potatoes is served to get everyone kick started.

If you haven't been to these places to ride yet, GO. Lots of great people and terrific roads to get your lean on. The Cherohala Skyway is about 46 miles of beautiful scenery and perfectly smooth sweeping turns cutting through thick forest.

This could be you!

Of course it doesn't take too long before the Sport bikes and motards come on the scene.

But now for perhaps the most famous and well known of twisty roads in the US... Deal's Gap, US129 aka: The Dragon.

This road has collected it's fair share of spills and wipe-outs as the "Tree of Shame" attests to.

The road sports over 300 turns in 11 miles and attracts all kinds of tricked out vehicles besides bikes. Apparently there was two GT40's there scaring the hell out of the motorcyclists the day before I arrived.

- IMAGE FROM US129.COM -

Hi performance cages aside, bikes of all kinds ruled the road and I was lucky to get one spot where I could photograph the traffic. Every good available turn suitable for pictures was taken by local motographic entreprenuers.

This dude in the new VMax and color coordinated outfit was doing some major peg scraping up and down the dragon.

And speaking of color coordinated suites! Many of the riders there were sporting their bling and trying out for the League of SuperHeros on Bikes.

- Knee Draggin' -

And let's not forget the ladies riding pillion having a good time!

Then there's the ladies riding up front, having probably an even better time!

But after a full day of riding and photography, it was time to head back to the ranch for more delicious eats. BBQ and Motorcycle cakes!

Unfortunately the next day it was time for everyone to pack up in the rain and head home. It was an 11 hour wet day in the saddle to get from Tellico to Northern VA but managed to get and stay ahead of the serious rain.

Good times had by all and now after my first real trip on the Versys I gotta give it a triple thumbs up! She's an inexpensive mid-weight bike but extremely reliable with strong performance. If China can eventually manufacture mid-weight bikes in this league for a good price, I say LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Ride Safe Ya'll,
    CC

I have always wanted to do the Dragon but never got pass east of Denver Great report CC. I will come tour the US again when I can't handle the roads of China anymore.

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Great reporting and photography as usual Carl. Thanks.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

Great to see you back in the saddle and hitting the "motography" in style. I lived in Atlanta for a year and managed about a half dozen trips to "The Dragon", it really is one of the greatest motorcycle roads in the world. Lots of twisty roads out there, but few of them have the surface and engineering quality you find in those eleven miles. Must have been designed by a motorcyclist.

I agree with you on the fuel injection, there's a "forgiveness" with carbs that just can't be programmed into FI.

Thanks for sharing

Cheers
    ChinaV

Great report!

I'd love to go to Deals Gap, but I have never even been to the continent of the the Americas....One day! Still I've had more than my fair share of beautiful twisty roads.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

Looks like a perfect weekend with perfect pics from Carl

I was on a nice, scenic and very twisty mountain road between Miyun and Pinggu (Beijing) last weekend - by car . Loads of Porsches, Ferraris, ..... but no bikes. They all seemed to recognize the road as their private race track. If you want to ride there you gotta be on the spot by 6 am or on a weekday to avoid all these idiots.
    I heard from a bunch of perfect motorcycle roads in Germany which are closed to bikes on weekends for obvious reasons.

So, how about discipline and civilized behavior at the dragon and in the US in general ?
    Andy

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Brings back great memories. I used to live in Randleman, NC and used to go up to the BRP at least 5 or 6 times a year.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franki View Post
    I have always wanted to do the Dragon but never got pass east of Denver Great report CC. I will come tour the US again when I can't handle the roads of China anymore.
    Well it's certainly a different experience in China that's for sure. Pro's and con's I suppose. The challenges of riding in the US are different and take some getting used to. I'm going to have to plan another IronButt ride sometime soon... maybe on my way to Alaska?

CC

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Great report!

I'd love to go to Deals Gap, but I have never even been to the continent of the the Americas....One day! Still I've had more than my fair share of beautiful twisty roads.
    ZMC,

I imagine you'd be like that guy who's draggin' his knee on the sportbike. There's lots of very skilled riders there but most of them are cruiser riders just chillin' out. There's tons of roads in the area with killer twisties and less traffic that 129 but, Like ChinaV said, this one is extremely smooth and well engineered.

If you like looong hihg speed sweepers, the Cherohala Skyway is a better candidate and packs less fuzz.

CC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast