Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 KTM Duke 200 in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I know that bikes over 250cc can't be registered in Shanghai. If the Duke 200 is registered in Shanghai can it be ridden in all areas/districts? Where are the banned district areas? There should seriously be a map of that if such places do exist as to avoid them from the start on G maps.

hoi.jpg

Of all new bikes the Duke 200 looks to be the best bang for the buck in the 250cc and under class.
    What makes it really interesting is the Duke 125/200/and 390 all use the same frame.
    So in reality you could get a registered legit Duke 200 and swap in a 390 engine and no one would know the difference (Did I mention there is now a turbo kit out for the 390 engine taking it to 60hp)

So anyone spotted any Duke 200s riding around Shanghai???

These bikes are now also assembled in China believe it or not.
    http://www.chinamotorcyclenews.com/joint-ventures
    KTM just ships them their engines and running gear and that gets put into the frame at the China factory.

2. #2 Re: KTM Duke 200 in Shanghai 
    Hi Ryan

99% of all new question on MCM have been talked about and answered in some way.

This is a great site to gain information about China you just need to look

To help you out here is a link for you

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ed-area%28s%29
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: KTM Duke 200 in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Hi Ryan

99% of all new question on MCM have been talked about and answered in some way.

This is a great site to gain information about China you just need to look

To help you out here is a link for you

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ed-area%28s%29

Thanks for that link, this map http://wenku.baidu.com/link?url=ZH2m...P0I7mMwdVk0u2W was useful and I did some reading on other sites to about the rules/regulations.

I suppose the answer to the question that I really wanted to know and should be asking here is... If the Duke 200 is a popular bike of choice for the ex pat community in SH. Are there any/many you see on the streets in SH? Where can I buy a Duke 200 in SH?

I don't want one of those under-powered outdated heavy china specific model 250cc bikes from the two models that are available.
    Not interested in the ninja 250 no engine upgrade choices and a bit heavy compared to the duke 200.

4. #4 Re: KTM Duke 200 in Shanghai 
    If I had to stay under 250cc I would likely buy the Kawasaki Z250SL. (A completely different model then the Ninja and Z250) It is the new super light street fighter. Me and several others just did months of research before purchasing Duke 390's. However, after all of that, if I could not go over 250cc I would certainly get the Kawasaki Z250SL. It even comes with ABS which currently is not an option on the Duke 200. With the crazy traffic and roads here, that is a great benefit. Just my opinion though!

Most expats are riding some Chinese makes it seems. Understandable, considering how much more a KTM or Kawasaki is. You are sure to stick out on the Duke or Z250SL.

The Z250SL
    2015-kawasaki-z250sl-spells-naked-fun-the-sfw-way-photo-gallery_24.jpg
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

5. #5 Re: KTM Duke 200 in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The duke 390 is the baddest little bike. When you put on the turbo it goes up to 60hp and given the bikes weight at that HP level it's in a class of its own. It's what I really want. But I don't want to have to right turn every time in SH riding a duke with out of city plates.

I was thinking which would be more troublesome, A duke 390 with out of SH plates or a duke 200 with SH c plates.

If the answer is duke 200 with SH C plates then that's the route I would go and just bolt in a second hand 390 engine since its a direct fit swap. And finally turbo.
    3902.jpg
    tb3901.jpg
    http://www.motoroids.com/ktm/meet-th...d-output-60hp/

6. #6 Re: KTM Duke 200 in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Regular
    I couldn't imagine you'll be even using 20hp in the centre of shanghai. If you're riding with 户C plates then you can't ride in the centre anyway.

Big bikes can get legal plates, kawa, BMW, aslong as they're purchased from a registered dealer with fapiao bla bla.

I live in shanghai and ride about, wanna meet up for rides or anything then add my wechat: joshuahowe123

In regards to foreigners riding bikes in shanghai, then I know one other. Most people don't tend to make this place their home or just don't feel the sake to fork out 200,000元 for a plate. Especially if their bike is not even worth a 1/10 of that.

Josh

7. #7 Re: KTM Duke 200 in Shanghai 
    IMG_3345.jpg
    spotted this beauty near the Peoples Square couple days ago. first 1000cc i've seen here.

8. #8 Re: KTM Duke 200 in Shanghai 
    Turbo would run hot as hell in the city . Its compressed air you know?

9. #9 Re: KTM Duke 200 in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    Turbo would run hot as hell in the city . Its compressed air you know?

Only when under boost will the Turbo get hot and that's around 4000/4500 rpm and till this point no heat from the turbo but also no power lol
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

10. #10 Re: KTM Duke 200 in Shanghai 
    Actually a turbo would be great in western Sichuan. Just planning a route which is ten days above 4000m . Bring on the boost!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast