Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Shad boxes

1. #1 Shad boxes 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone of you have a Shad top box? Im curious about the locking mechanism. Does it rattle or it hold the box firmly in place?

I had Adlo boxes in the past and they are great apart from the fitting. They start to rattle after about a month to a point where you are actually worried if they will come off. I bolted my on but its nice to be able to easily remove em.

Shad boxes are nearly 3 times the price of Adlo so I wonder.

cheers

2. #2 Re: Shad boxes 
    I've had Adlo, Givi, & Shad. When it comes to riding in China, you're taking a huge risk by not bolting them on. Everyone overpacks these things, add that to 50kms of butchered roads and they break the mounts or start rattling around.

The Shad I had was better quality than the Adlo.

3. #3 Re: Shad boxes 
    The CFMoto TR-G comes with Shad side and top box.

On the last ride with 50.000 km covered riding all types of roads found the Shad set up very good.

With the top box, the locking device does have some movement and its best to hold the top box down.

Some people use Bungee cords and you could bolt it down as mentioned but IMO with bolting it down would be a problem if you need to remove the top box at some point.

I have found by just using a Tourfella straps works the best it's quick to straps down and quick to undo and by tieing the strap at the back of the top box frame and looping one end under the frame with the other end over the top I found that you never lose the strap.

With Bungee cords, you need to pull them down very hard to make sure you have good pressure to hold the top box in place.

TB2g9LpgpXXXXbyXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!420686623.jpg_600x600.jpg

OI006083.jpg

OI006083.jpg

OI004718 (3).jpg

20160818_094605.jpg
    Last edited by prince666; 12-11-2016 at 06:42 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #4 Re: Shad boxes 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Ive found this box https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...6-55c455bbc9a5

The locking mechanism seems to have the best of both worlds. It has one bolt that can be easily removed. It looks sturdy and it might be just what I have been looking for. I will buy it and report back :)

p.s. I have been thinking all week about my 2day ride today and tomorrow but its pissing down with rain :( so disappointed

5. #5 Re: Shad boxes 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    This box I poisted in my previous post is great. The quality is very good but note that I have only had it for a week or so.
    Plastic looks hard and heavy duty but flexiblle enough to withstand a crash (or so it seems). The locking mechanism works great, there is no rattling or movement of any kind. It isnt a quick release and it might bother some but I dont mind. I chose a small 32L box but there are bigger with the same locking mechanism so If needed I could just purchase a new box and simply put it in on the same base bit already attached to my bike. In fact I might just do that for longer trips as I dont like the stock side boxes.

[IMG][/IMG]

6. #6 Re: Shad boxes 
    Bike and Shad box looks great.

IMO you still need to tie it down somehow.

When are you posting a review on the bike.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #7 Re: Shad boxes 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Bike and Shad box looks great
    Its not Shad here. I got the cheaper one

Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    When are you posting a review on the bike.
    I am planning to go to Wuyuan and Huangshan over the New Years (if its dry). 4-5 day trip, will write an initial review after that