Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 MY16 Duke 390 Finally Arrived! (The Unboxing) 
    Yes! My Duke finally made it to Changchun. I waited for what felt like forever to purchase so I could get a black MY16. After a few hours of unpacking, assembling and prepping I finally took her out for about 40 Kilometers.

Things to note:
    The seat is insanely hard even though it was upgraded.
    The bike feels tiny compared to my other bike so it will take some getting used to.
    It feels like it is begging you to do wheelies and rip on the throttle!
    It is extremely maneuverable. Thing cuts through traffic like a champ although the handlebars are wider then my
    other bike so it can't squeeze through quite as much.
    I guess I am really short because I can't flat foot the ground like everyone else said they can.

In the grand scheme of things. It feels like a solid machine that will put a smile on my face for years to come. Now to find someone to ride with here in Changchun!

20160329_101942.jpg20160329_101953.jpg20160329_105745.jpg20160329_105755.jpg
    Attached Images
    的 have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

2. #2 Re: MY16 Duke 390 Finally Arrived! (The Unboxing) 
    A few more pictures to show my excitement.

20160329_142300.jpg20160329_163605.jpg20160329_163628.jpg
    Attached Images
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

Feels like childhood at at Christmas, right?
    Ride safe on all your ways
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

4. #4 Re: MY16 Duke 390 Finally Arrived! (The Unboxing) 
    That's a sexy looking bike!

5. #5 Re: MY16 Duke 390 Finally Arrived! (The Unboxing) 
    C-Moto Noob
    Wonderful bike!!! Enjoy it and keep us updated with your experiences.

Take care as KTM take always your dark side :-)

6. #6 Re: MY16 Duke 390 Finally Arrived! (The Unboxing) 
    Congrats Man! Duke brothers unite!

7. #7 Re: MY16 Duke 390 Finally Arrived! (The Unboxing) 
    After putting almost 200 kilometers on the bike now. I would say it is certainly worth the money. Much more fun then my bikes in the states. I am really happy with everything but the seat. I am looking for a nice soft contoured seat. If anyone knows where, let me know.

FYI I was sandwiched between 2 buses the other day. One buss changed lanes into my lane and the other turned left in front of me all at the same time. Completely boxed me in with no escape route. I was able to almost stop but I cracked the housing for the headlight, shattered the front fender, bent the handlebars and tore the front fork slider off. (and it tore the strap to my new KTM tail bag)

Either way, the bus drivers were from the same company and willingly admitted fault, I got it all on gopro and soon to be up on youtube. The insurance guy for the bus company was cool and said just give them a price and they will cover it all. It is already back on the streets and should look new by next week.

What a crazy start! Mot, can't wait to head south and get some country riding in. What tires did you end up buying?

8. #8 Re: MY16 Duke 390 Finally Arrived! (The Unboxing) 
    Ride south young man the driving standard is better ?? I think not !! Just today back in China after 6 months riding in Thailand I have had more close calls today in only 500km then I had with over 20.000 km in Thailand TIC mate bad news about the bike with only 200 km on the baby just be careful with the next 200 km !
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

9. #9 Re: MY16 Duke 390 Finally Arrived! (The Unboxing) 
    I see quite a few KTM 390s on the Dragon US129 in Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee and their owners really the bike. They can keep with with the more powerful bikes in the tight sections.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

10. #10 Re: MY16 Duke 390 Finally Arrived! (The Unboxing) 
    I have been seeing more and more KTM's as summer approaches but they are all the RC390. Not exactly the bike I would pick for China but I guess if they just bought them for a cool bike to cruise around town with then it makes sense.

So after putting 700 kilometers on the bike these are my thoughts.

The gas gauge is horrendous. It will tell you that you are empty with only a few kilometers left but still has about 4 liters in the tank. Drives me insane especially since you have to fill your bike with a teapot and need to know exactly how much to buy.

The hard seat? Well it broke in and is quite comfy to me now. That or I just got used to it.

The ride? The thing is smooth! It has much more comfortable suspension then my Chinese bike and seems to take the crap roads and unavoidable potholes like a champ.

The gear box does not like to go all the way from 1st to second all the time. Oddly it is not about how hard or soft you kick it up either. So several times I thought I was in 2nd and was in neutral. Also, there have been two occasions where I popped it in neutral at a stop light for a moment to stretch my hands and it was not actually in neutral. So you get random false neutrals from time to time.

I lost bolts, maybe from vibration but after my first long ride I looked the bike over and had lost some bolts. I guess I need to be double checking every bolt I can every day or two. Kind of sad. Either way, I bought locktite and from here on out I will try to keep from loosing more.

Overall, I still love riding the thing. Ear to ear grin as I am carving through traffic with ease and I cant wait for my 7 hours of riding on my way to Shenyang on the 26th.

If anyone is local, lets meet and ride!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast