Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Riding a foreign-registered motorcycle into China 
    C-Moto Noob
    I have a motorcycle registered in Thailand and I would like to plan a trip from Thailand to Yunnan. Does anyone know the procedure to enter China with a foreign-registered motorcycle.
    I have a C1D Chinese driving license
    Thanks

2. #2 Re: Riding a foreign-registered motorcycle into China 
    It is possible but requires the co operation of a Chinese travel guide. Phil at riders corner in Chaing mai took a group from Thailand through China last year so he would have up to date information.

http://www.riderscorner.net/

The problem with using the Chinese guide is that you actually have to be "guided" on your ride. Which to most riders is just wrong. So an alternative would be to hire a bike in Yunnan and ride your own ride without a nanny.

http://www.corneradventures.com/

For that Willy in Xishuangbanna can help you.

3. #3 Re: Riding a foreign-registered motorcycle into China 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks Zhu

4. #4 Re: Riding a foreign-registered motorcycle into China 
    Phil from riders corner is just about to leave with a group riders from CM Thailand to China and apart from the forum and bar he runs he also has a motorbike tour company.

link..... http://motoasia.bike/

So I think it's very doubtful that he will release to much information ??? and why should he when he will just say book a tour with me ?
    I like you do have a bike in Thailand a very nice Honda CRF 250l all kitted out for touring and would love to get the bike into China legally and just 10 days ago I had a long talk with the Chinese customs offices at Mengla the border with Laos and talked to agents at the border everyone said it can't be done unless you are on a organises tour?
    If there was a way I would of found out how to do it by now and I have been researching for the last 2 years
    That is not to say you can't get your Thail plated bike in China illegally this has been done but I won't say how for reasons you can understand.
    Best advice is buy a bike and then sell it at the end.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: Riding a foreign-registered motorcycle into China 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the note Prince666.
    I have contacted Phil and got the predictable answer to join one of his tours. Might do that one day.
    I will be in Yunnan early next year (not a bike tour) and I will check with the local authorities / agents).
    Wouldn't mind buying another CJ (roughly the same cost as joining a tour) but my "government" is quite opposed to that option...
    Will keep you posted if I find more
    Take care
    Ben

6. #6 Re: Riding a foreign-registered motorcycle into China 
    Hi Ben

Just to let you know other groups from Thailand leave all the time to ride to China, a group from Chiang Ria are leaving next week and these guys have arranged all the paperwork and tour guide privately and have split the cost between all the rides and a friend who is going told me it worked out about 8000 RMB each for 14 days.

1 other group from GT-Rider in CM www.GT-Rider.com is also doing the same thing and I am told again the cost is about 10.000 RMB now compare that to Phils tour cost about 32.000 RMB I would just post on GT Riders to ask when the next ride is going to China and see if you can join the group I am sure you should be welcome and should be cheaper for you because you have a C1D license already.

I still think the best and cheaper way is to buy a new bike in Yunnan which will come with a plate and insurance placed in the name of the bike shop (fully legal) for about 25.000 RMB with a resale value of let's say 15.000 RMB after you trip for a quick sale and you will not be "Nanny" as Zhu puts it and not limited to 14 days? you need about 30 days just to see abit of Yunnan

but my "government" is quite opposed to that option...
    Don't tell them .
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"