Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Cfmoto 650tr peg failure 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    My left hand foot peg broke away from the side casting causing a low speed drop down.

I was just shifting my position when the foot peg broke off causing my foot to hit the ground loosing control. I did not even stand on the peg with my full weight which means the casting failed.

Has anyone else come accross this potentially life threatening design or quality problem?

I am reluctant to just replace the side plate that the peg bolts onto if this can happen again. Is the a one off casting fault or a design problem?

I have notified cfmoto in Australia and they are considering what to do but i thought i would ask the forum members to see if this is a known fault.

Cheers
    If you haven't grown up by the time you are 40, you don't have to!

2. #2 Re: Cfmoto 650tr peg failure 
    Hi Trebor
    yes same happen to mine on a Gen 1 TR last year in Thailand.

Just bad casting as you said already and yes it could be potentially very dangerous especially if one was standing up at the time?
    But for me I have more potentially life threatening situation to contend with at the moment like just riding in China?

Hope my new TR-G is better designed only time will tell .
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Hi Trebor
    yes same happen to mine on a Gen 1 TR last year in Thailand.

Just bad casting as you said already and yes it could be potentially very dangerous especially if one was standing up at the time?
    But for me I have more potentially life threatening situation to contend with at the moment like just riding in China?

Hope my new TR-G is better designed only time will tell .
    Glad you also survived. Sounds like the new G has a different peg position so i wonder if the castings are interchangeable on the tr.

4. #4 Re: Cfmoto 650tr peg failure 
    Yeah the Chinese mentality is to make as much money as possible so quality suffers until there is a injury or failure and then quality is improved where necessary later making the end consumer the canary in the coalmine involuntary R&D development worker. Not cool, especially if someone gets killed or seriously injured. That's why they use different branding in multiple regions/countries.

5. #5 Re: Cfmoto 650tr peg failure 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi Trevor .....

I normally browse this site out of interest as I Live in South Australia and have owned a 650TK for a couple of years now.

At the end of last year I had something similar happen not on the main plate but on the lugs the the pegs are attached. The casting showed signs of impurities at the points where they broke.

Luckily it broke after a ride and I was just trying getting on/off the bike using the foot peg with the bike on its sidestand. Normally I just swing my leg over.

As you say a major issue, I was lucky as I have done some long rides where I have stood on the pegs to re-position or stretch my legs.

The whole plate was replaced under warranty but I am a lot more cautious about putting all my weight on the pegs, it should be ok as that is what the pillion has to do the get on the bike.

I will see if I can attach some photos of the problem I had.

BTW I have carried out similar mods to my 650TK that you did to yours only at the cheap end of town.

I hope you get it sorted out and covered by CFMoto Australia as they should be aware of a potential problem.

Regds ....

Tony ...

6. #6 Re: Cfmoto 650tr peg failure 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    HI .... Hopefully I can attach photos now that I have reduced their size...

Tony ...2015-10-27_05-50-21_1.jpg2015-10-27_05-53-50_1.jpg2015-10-27_05-48-51_1.jpg

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by manfriday View Post
    HI .... Hopefully I can attach photos now that I have reduced their size...

Tony ...2015-10-27_05-50-21_1.jpg2015-10-27_05-53-50_1.jpg2015-10-27_05-48-51_1.jpg
    Glad you were not hurt either. CFMOTO Australia are replacing both side plates under warranty. It appears the replacements are stronger than the originals. This pleases me because i did not want a casting which could probably fail again.

Cfmoto are saying that this not a common problem nor is it a safety recall.

Everyone with an early 659tr tk please inspect the side castings for cracks and seek replacement if required.

While i did not look for cracks or see any before the failure, they must have been there. The peg was fine for 3 years and it broke with minimal weight on it at the time. I have stood up on the pegs before without a problem. This leads me to suspect metal fatigue over time which hopefully is visable before failure.

Please check becuase a failure at speed could be lethal.

Cheers and safe riding.

Banned
    See the Coca Cola symbol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. #9 Re: Cfmoto 650tr peg failure 
    C-Moto Regular
    That's BAD !!! , I could only imagine if this happed while at speed , I stand on mine during long rides to have a stretch and I will think twice now , mine is a 650nk 2015 and hopefully the new ones are better .
    I am going out and inspect mine right now ! .
    Scary stuff man and glad you are ok .

At least CFMoto have very good after sales service here in OZ , I have not had a problem with 'Mojo Motorcycles' the OZ importer .
    My bike was $200 from being a wright off but I insisted to Shannons that I wanted my bike repaired as I have done a lot to it and really like it and did not want to go back to the start again . All new parts were avaliable off the shelf and I was only 4 weeks without her , thanks 'Mojo' and ' Motoshop' here in Rockingham .

Here is the bloody Commodore ( driven by a woman ) that pulled out of a stop sigh on my left , rush hour traffic ,, I was doing 70km/h she was doing 20ish .

I walked away with only bruising and hurt pride , bike is very solid !!!! only cosmetic damage .

Brian.
    Attached Images

10. #10 Re: Cfmoto 650tr peg failure 
    That casting looks bubbly. Looks like it had air pockets.
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast