Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Benelli 600gs overheating problem 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hello people,

I recently bought a 2nd hand Benelli 600gs, a 2012 model ....with the overheating problem.

I relaly didn't know it was such a problem until now, and somewhere in the back of my head i though that there's bound to be a solution by now.

I rode it up to the mountains outside of Beijing with some friends and while on the highway it was fine with the temp sticking to around 88~89 C, in stop start traffic it frequently pushed 96, and then finally when i got it home it was at 109 C.
    That's when the engine just completely shut off.
    I gave it the night to cool down but it won't start again.

All the displays come on, so its not the battery, even though we changed it with a friend's that trip because his wasn't charging. But it won't even begin to click over. (yes the emergency switch is not on)

Would any of you guys know the problem?

Also in terms of fixing the root cause, i've read about some guys changing the ECU mapping, or changing the cheapo ECUs, as well as an Indonesian guy uprating the fan system.
    But is there anything anyone would recommend, preferably with specifics of how i go about changing and or getting the necessary parts to make sure i get this thing back on the road?

Thanks guys, i would appreciate your help

2. #2 Re: Benelli 600gs overheating problem 
    Really sorry to say we begged and pleaded for real world reviews and information on the Benelli BJ600 on MCM but none were forthcoming. Some people bought CFMOTO 650NKs and others including myself bought one too.

Sorry to say your post is about as much information on the BJ600 in English that I've ever seen. Sorry I can't be of more help, but someone else may know something.

Sounds like really lean running and then a cheap cooling system, but you obviously already realize that. Maybe try disconnecting and reconnecting the ECU and battery?

3. #3 Re: Benelli 600gs overheating problem 
    You are correct ZMC888 here on MCM we have not seen a review on the BJ600 as I think most guy wisely opted for the CFMoto range. but I can say one off my local riding group did buy one and to this day he has regretted the purchases.

As the old say goes (You pay your money and take your chance) so 1288711 I am very sorry I can't help but I wish you all the luck trying to get to the bottom of this problem.

P.S. Just found this on the internet .....
    Good news, chinese technician finally responses to my problem. Now this bn600 are Jakarta ready , they remap the ecu, change radiator, fan, cold spark plugs. And now temp is below 100c, we'll unless heavy traffic and in the middle of the day can go up to 102 max.

Link...... http://www.benelliforum.com/forum/ge...donesia-3.html

And maybe try this stuff
    ....... http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...erless-Coolant
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #4 Re: Benelli 600gs overheating problem 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hey ZMC888 & Prince666, thanks for your help,

Or at least addressing the issue.
    Yep that's the same Indonesian guy i was talking about. I'm looking into the higher performance cooling liquid now, as well as 'cold' spark plugs.

This is a learning experience for me, but i do intend to get it up and running, so i'll post my experiences back on this thread.
    Perhaps it can be of help to others later, or maybe we can get a few of these bikes back on the road.

I intend to work with my local mechanic here in Beijing, and perhaps Blackbridge. I'll fill you guys in if you're interested and even if you're not i'll still post to this thread.
    Last edited by 1288711; 06-02-2016 at 03:01 AM. Reason: erro

5. #5 Re: Benelli 600gs overheating problem 
    Quote Originally Posted by 1288711 View Post
    Hey ZMC888 & Prince666, thanks for your help,

Or at least addressing the issue.
    Yep that's the same Indonesian guy i was talking about. I'm looking into the higher performance cooling liquid now, as well as 'cold' spark plugs.

This is a learning experience for me, but i do intend to get it up and running, so i'll post my experiences back on this thread.
    Perhaps it can be of help to others later, or maybe we can get a few of these bikes back on the road.

I intend to work with my local mechanic here in Beijing, and perhaps Blackbridge. I'll fill you guys in if you're interested and even if you're not i'll still post to this thread.
    Given the amount of BJ600s around I would say any decent Chinese mechanics are aware of the problems and some potential fixes for your machine. Trick is finding a good mechanic most cities have one or two, the rest are invariably total muppets. Look for a shop surrounded by bigger bikes with one owner/mechanic and a few big imported bikes around. Also check his tool collection, if it's small then avoid. Also avoid the mechanics tied into dealerships, most are fairly hopeless.

6. #6 Re: Benelli 600gs overheating problem 
    I have a buddy here in Changchun with the same bike so I asked him why he does not have to many issues.

He said he did in fact have to remap the ecu. He also changed the radiator fluid to better fluid and rigged a new dual fan setup on the radiator. He had to find one from another bike that "sort of" fit and found a way to mount it. He also said the bike ran much smoother after the remap.

I have a Duke 390 and when they came out they had the same problem. Everyone remapped, got new radiator fans and some changed the radiator fluid. They still got hot but not enough to worry. I have the new model and because the 1 cylinder runs so lean it still gets quite hot. I might even get a new chip for it. I heard they also run much smoother after.

about your bike, I found an article talking about the poor quality of the oil filters from the dealer and how they were restricting oil flow causing the engine to run hot. So maybe you want to try a better oil and maybe a K&N oil filter?

I found this below on line quite easy so I am sure you can make the remap fun and extra beneficial:

http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detai...benelli/bn-600

As far as the bike not starting. I bet you got the battery way to hot. I have had good batteries get way to hot. Battery seemed like it took a charge, I could see the gauge and turn the lights on but it would not turn the motor over. I replaced the battery and it started right up. So... I would try the battery even if you think that is not the problem.

If you are still having trouble check the solenoid.

Wish you luck! I did not read through the other replies so sorry if any of this is redundant.
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

Banned
    Does that or those bikes use Delphi MT05 ecu's? I am looking at the ability to remap them etc
    I can so far only find diagnostic stuff for it or very expensive from the UK software plus a very expensive flasher (3500¥)
    If anyone has any know how to what equipment is needed to reflash and change maps plz let me know!
    I've got a Zhongshen RX3 is like to do and another guy has a regal Raptor twin
    Both run Delphi MT05 ecu's and seems they are common in the Bennelli range of bikes too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. #8 Re: Benelli 600gs overheating problem 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NZBrakelathes View Post
    Does that or those bikes use Delphi MT05 ecu's? I am looking at the ability to remap them etc
    I can so far only find diagnostic stuff for it or very expensive from the UK software plus a very expensive flasher (3500¥)
    If anyone has any know how to what equipment is needed to reflash and change maps plz let me know!
    Both run Delphi MT05 ecu's and seems they are common in the Bennelli range of bikes too

I think so to be honest. I remember reading something about that. Its like a simplified ECU system whereby it controls 2 cylinders as one or something like this.

Is i really that expensive to re-map the ECU though?

9. #9 Re: Benelli 600gs overheating problem 
    C-Moto Regular
    Jackson Hole by GuYaJu, Yanqing county, Beijing. And sometimes west coast of Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by NZBrakelathes View Post
    Here's a good starting point: http://www.rx3adventure.com/rx3_comp...agnostics.html
    In China: 2013 Benelli 600gs
    In Canada: 1980-'85 Shovester (under construction), 1983 kz440

Banned
    Don't know as all I've found as diy was that
    Delphi would do it if you have a lot to do via the emails I sent and received

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast