Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 If your bike is illegal in Changchun... say goodbye :( 
    Not sure if it is happening in other cities but the police here are really cracking down!

If your in Jilin Province and your bike weighs more then 40kg and goes faster then 20km then expect your bike to be taken away. I am not just talking about motorbikes but all those people on E-bikes. I have seen the police with truckloads of illegal bikes daily. The other day I witnessed the police rip a man off a moving e-bike and take it away from him!

Moral of the story? Ride legal.

I had the below bike for almost 2 years and the police never said a word to me about no plates. I sold it right before the police started cracking down and within two weeks they took the bike from the guy I sold it to. It looks like a real motorcycle so it was more understandable. However, now they are taking all the E-bikes that pretty much everyone rides.

So if you don't want your bike in one of these places you might want to register the bike at the very least so they don't just pull you over and take it. I have not seen them pull anyone over with a plate yet.

29B27D2000000578-0-image-a-14_1434537142569.jpg

My old E-bike that is long gone. He has been trying to get it back. At this point the police don't even know where it is. (so they say) That is me in the picture.

Me.jpg

The white one obviously.
    20160329_163605.jpg
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

2. #2 Re: If your bike is illegal in Changchun... say goodbye :( 
    This is happening all over China. It's been going on for ages, however after a few weeks or months your particular purge will end. Sad that they are being so fascist on the 20km/h and 40kg rules. In my province they leave e-bikes alone and go after illegal gas bikes and scooters pretty much exclusively. They did have a purge on e-bikes a few years ago, but it just caused too much aggravation.

3. #3 Re: If your bike is illegal in Changchun... say goodbye :( 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    This is happening all over China. It's been going on for ages, however after a few weeks or months your particular purge will end. Sad that they are being so fascist on the 20km/h and 40kg rules. In my province they leave e-bikes alone and go after illegal gas bikes and scooters pretty much exclusively. They did have a purge on e-bikes a few years ago, but it just caused too much aggravation.
    Yeah, still best to just be 100% legal I think. It's quite sad they still have not let up on the E-bikes. I see them every morning almost. Flat be truck out rounding up everything and anything that does not have a plate.
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone