Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 First time buyer needing some direction 
    C-Moto Noob
    Looking to buy a general run about bike with hopes of doing some long trips in the future and absolutely lost on which way to go.

I've been to the local bike shops here for a more hands on look and was totally disheartened by the sheer amount of copycat brands, HDNDA, JOC and endless no-name brands with similar decals and logos to the big brands.

So, wheres a good place to start? I've read about the licence requirements and how loose they are, so I'm willing to take a risk with that but another issue I've forced upon myself is the desire to avoid buying the usual style of bike (at almost 40, I dont want the usual 17 year olds bike!)

From this I ended up looking at the Super Cub style bikes, which I believe are slightly more difficult to ride than a normal scooter (but not as difficult as a motorbike)

Anyone gimme a push the right direction?

2. #2 Re: First time buyer needing some direction 
    Hi Ketaifu and welcome to MCM

I read about the licence requirements and how loose they are, so I'm willing to take a risk with that
    Let's start and Stop you at this point IMO no need to think about a bike until you have completed and obtained a full Chinese Motorbike licences.

You may think the law are "loose" in China but let's just see what happens "IF" you have a accident or "IF" you get stop riding a Motorbike without a licences ?
    Because in China on both counts there is no "IF" about it, but "WHEN"
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: First time buyer needing some direction 
    C-Moto Noob
    well that's shot me down!

The voice of responsibility is very loud here....off to re-read the sticky about obtaining a licence, and to apply oil to my bicycle.

4. #4 Re: First time buyer needing some direction 
    Not trying to shot you down, just trying to give you good advise based on my years off riding in China.

But you are over 21 with long trousers so do what you think is best for you.

Have a good ride today
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: First time buyer needing some direction 
    As prince says it is sadly just a question of when . Get a licence , it is not really difficult just a bit ma fan.

6. #6 Re: First time buyer needing some direction 
    Like I said on the other thread, I wouldn't bother. I'm 41 and cycle 400km a week, I also have a 650cc motorcycle parked in the garage, for an occasional jaunt.

You are absolutely not too old for a bicycle in fact late 30's is prime enduro physique. If your cycle is crap get a better one, spend over 10,000 yuan for something that can scream along a road at 30 plus kmh or a full suspension MTB if you prefer dirt.

If however you are still interested in motorcycles-
    You need to do the medical test - 100
    Police photos - 100
    Computer Test - 100
    Practical Test - ??
    Insurance - 200
    Registration - 300
    Bike (recommend Jianshe Yamaha YBR125 or Sundiro Honda CBF150) - 10,000-13,000
    Clothing - 1000 plus

Grand total - maybe pushing 20,000 yuan, and one to two months of your time.

Then you'll probably have a few accidents in your first year, a low-sider and some collision with a car/ebike/cycle (will be their fault, but won't help you).

Not trying to be negative or kill your dreams, just keeping it real and being totally honest.