Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Hi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hi 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello everyone,

My name is Javier. I've been in China for almost three years now. I live in Beijing currently. For the past two and a half I have felt the desire of getting a motorcycle to move around but I have never gotten to it, winter always comes and sweeps my itch away. I, like many other people just use a bicycle for every day moving about.

Recently however I really feel like I want to start exploring more of my surroundings and I would love to ride a motorbike. However having said that, I have never quite learned how to ride a proper "gear" motorcycle. I've ridden scooters before, but nothing with gears. I have already read a lot on how to get a motorcycle license here in BJ but to do so I need to learn how to ride.

Can you guys here in MCM recommend me on what to do?

Cheers~

2. #2 Re: Hi 
    I have already read a lot on how to get a motorcycle license here in BJ but to do so I need to learn how to ride.
    IMO China is not the best place to learn how to ride a motorbike from the beginning , but I wish you well and welcome to MCM.

But I would start on a E-Bike (if E-bikes are allowed in Beijing) no driving license need. If you can last a few weeks and get the hang of how things work in China then you should be good to go for a small CC motorbike.
    In the meantime I can't see why all the paperwork can be sorted out for your Chinese DL.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Hi 
    C-Moto Noob
    Traffic is stupid sometimes, but yes, I think I can handle it. By small, you mean, how big? 50? 100?

4. #4 Re: Hi 
    Good Man that's what I like to hear positive thinking.......

125/150cc should be fine.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: Hi 
    C-Moto Noob
    The only problem that I see with that is that all motorbikes come with the same problem. Registration and what not, even the smaller ones need plates and for that you need a license. Otherwise is impossible to fill them up with gas, so it's basically a vicious circle.

6. #6 Re: Hi 
    Why do "you" need a DL to plate a bike ? it can be in a friend's name.

7. #7 Re: Hi 
    C-Moto Regular
    @l4g0s Hey man,
    I'm in Beijing, there's a few of us here from mychinamoto thats in Beijing, that would be willing to point you in the right direction.
    Yep getting a license is a good idea as if something does happen....and something inevitably does, then you won't be jeopardising your visa/ business or whatever the case is.

What's your situation?
    I assume you've already got your car license... sometimes they're happy with you just having that at petrol stations, and if you fill up outside the 5th ring road (near wangjing not included) a lot of the times they don't even ask to see your license.
    Having a properly registered bike is a good plan...it's another way to avoid big fines and what not.
    There's many rules that are official or are rumours that even the traffic police may not know about, so what you can get away with depends on the actual situation at the time.
    As Prince666 says, a 125cc or 150cc is a good bike to learn on.
    Try to get a 2nd hand Suzuki. bullet proof engine & gear box, and parts are available everywhere.

Where do you live by the way? I could easily teach you how to drive... i've taught maybe 7 people so far in Beijing, it usually only takes 10 mins to learn, (it's all about clutch control) and the rest is learning the 'rules' of the road. which to be honest does take some getting used to...and your home country's rules don't really apply sometimes.

Also where about's are you from? If it's australia or america its easy to get your license in a short time when you go back home for CNY, but if its france...then you're probably going to have to look at doing it all here.
    Also, how is your Chinese reading ability?

8. #8 Re: Hi 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hmm, maybe using one of those agencies to get one?

Get A motorcycle DL = definetly
    Get a legal bike = definitely( if you are tall and or heavy I propose a 250cc)
    Get Training = yes ( I experienced that a proper training needs with a capable guy about 3-4 hours for the basics ... If you have some acceptable motorical skills :-) )

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

10. #10 Re: Hi 
    I would pick up a cheap Chinese bike and learn in a nearby parking lot of your complex until your comfortable with changing gears, slow maneuvering and most importantly emergency stopping. Then go get your license and get comfortable on the streets. Once you are confident then go get the bike you want and do your thing. I do suggest a 250 or greater if you want to leave the city. Id hate to be caught in the country side traffic with a underpowered bike. Then again the Chinese people rock the hell out of those 150s so it should be fine either way. Can't wait to see pics of your new ride!
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast