Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 JY150 abusive relationship 
    20150903_151128 by EL Sammo, on Flickr

20150903_175824 by EL Sammo, on Flickr

Needed a cheap bike to go back and forward to work and do a bit of trail riding on, thought i was old enough to just get a simple little 150 and be happy with that.

2. #2 Re: JY150 abusive relationship 
    20151115_005241 by EL Sammo, on Flickr

Turned out i was completely wrong and it was a horrible bit of gear, even riding on flat ground in a straight line was a interesting experience as it was like a pogo stick, only slower and more bouncy. Had a look-see and discovered they had kept production costs down by omitting to put oil of any kind in the suspension.

A journey of love and pain was about to start, with 200ml of 20w slippery in each fork i had some actual damping so could start to look at the rest of the issues.

Played with the 150 to get it a bit quicker, went from a 27 to 30mm carb and matched the intake, slotted the ignition pickup holes and gave it 4 degrees more advance, removed the 1mm base gasket and used a light smear of threebond in its place to up the compression and get a bit of squish and changed the muffler, once i jetted it i gained a bit of power but it was still too slow.

microMsg.1450331824609 by EL Sammo, on Flickr

Enter more parts! Got a 250cc pushrod engine, proper alloy rims and heavy duty 4mm stainless spokes, decent rear shocks and some decent MX tyres for it. I blew the spokes out of the standard steel back rim but the standrad hubs seemed sturdy enough so kept them as it as not difficult to upgrade just the rims and spokes.

3. #3 Re: JY150 abusive relationship 
    20151218_130552 by EL Sammo, on Flickr

20151218_131831 by EL Sammo, on Flickr

Bit of lacing and truing and i had a decent wheelset

20151224_165605 by EL Sammo, on Flickr

Got the 250cc engine in and jetted again to suit, quite happy with this motor its a pushrod style based on the CG125 design, its 11mm taller so had to modify the upper engine mount but everything else was a straight bolt on, you do need to drop the motor down off the mounts to get the rocker cover off which is a minor hassle but not too bad overall.

Very torquey motor with a low first gear and strong clutch, desgined for use in three wheel transport vehicles so quite sturdy. Five speed box reasonably spaced.

4. #4 Re: JY150 abusive relationship 
    20160106_091119 by EL Sammo, on Flickr

20160602_140700 by EL Sammo, on Flickr

So with the suspension, wheels and engine sorted it was a pretty decent bike, similar to the honda XL trail bike range from the 1980s if i had to compare it to anything. Been riding the hell out of it for over a year now with no major issues. I cut and extended the rear brake arm by 40mm to get the rear brakes working a bit better an geared it up to cruise at 80kmh happily but still quite good off road.

Loads of good trails where i live so i get out on it a lot, should have probably bought something better to start with but overall very happy with how it turned out, had some minor issues and replaced the battery to starter cable but that's about it.

5. #5 Re: JY150 abusive relationship 
    Nicely done!
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

6. #6 Re: JY150 abusive relationship 
    Hehe, .... be honest! You bought that cheap little thing to ensure you have some things to improve and fulfill your wrenching desires.

Anyway: That's the right spirit! Well done!

... and it shows again that every chinese cheap crappy bike can be made running with some add on's and skills.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

7. #7 Re: JY150 abusive relationship 
    So, was it worth it? I really like the classic look! The gold rims look better then the chrome ones. Nice work
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

8. #8 Re: JY150 abusive relationship 
    Really i should have bought something a bit better to start with, but it ended up all good in the end and kept me out of the pub for a while.