Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The constant onset of diarrhea! 
    I keep getting gut rot in China! I have been here a year and a half. For a short while I thought I was getting immune. THEN BOOM! I got E.coli . I was sick with a fever and runny nastiness for days. For 30 days after I was extremely bloated. Now I am getting mild diarrhea every other day. So depressing...

On a positive note, the few times I was caught out and about and needed to go badly. The vibrations of my motorcycle soothed me till I was home.

Anyone else?
    的 have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

2. #2 Re: The constant onset of diarrhea! 
    You need to drink more alcohol! Red Wine is the cure I have used for 12+ years but beer and whiskey also work well.

Seriously, I have found that Imodium chewables are fantastic. Only the Chewables seem to really kick in. I have also had some decent success with Pepto Bismol liquid. If you do not have access to either of these, PM me and I can send you some from my stash Monday.

to be fair, the worst rot gut I have had was in Mexico and the second worst was in Atlanta, Georgia. It can happen anywhere...
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

3. #3 Re: The constant onset of diarrhea! 
    I find diarrhoea and other things gut related are usually due to eggs or water. Having your own water filter and not eating eggs usually fixes things. 70% of eggs have something not right in them (especially in China). Also be wary of those big tongs of water in case someone has cut corners, and also remember the desire to cheap-out with ice, even in fast food restaurants etc. Purifying water costs time and money.

4. #4 Re: The constant onset of diarrhea! 
    I found the source of my intestinal issues. They turned out to be Gallbladder issues. In fact, I found out I have an enlarged spleen, liver disease and an inflamed gallbladder. The lack of bile was causing digestive problems. These are the underlying causes of my current dilemma. I guess I need to make some big lifestyle changes to get back to health and keep it that way so I don't end up with cirrhosis of the liver.

Thanks for the tips though! Looks like I will be on a strict diet for a while including a good workout plan. Time to reassess my goals.
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

5. #5 Re: The constant onset of diarrhea! 
    Sorry to hear of your health issues. I've been living under a rock all summer.

90 days in... how's your diet and fitness routine progressing? It's hard to eat healthy here with all the refined oils coating every morsel.

I don't really get sick here and I eat everything everywhere in China, drink the mystery "bai kai shui", etc. Mild diarrhea a couple times a year, no medicine, and it passes in a day or so. Although, I rarely have a well formed stool here like I do back home. I think its the excess oil and hot spices increasing the motility of my digestive system.

India on the other hand... OMG ! I truly thought I had cholera the entire time I was there. I was careful, ate mostly at the hotel and company canteen and only ventured out with a trusted expat who assured me his constitution was weaker than mine. I adore Indian cuisine and enjoy the culture, but I had to decline that opportunity. Deli is a diarrhea death wish. And believe it or not the air is worse there too.

6. #6 Re: The constant onset of diarrhea! 
    Insane... Remind me to stay away from India!

The problem was solved. My wife bought me Chinese medication when I first got to China. I took this medication for a year and a half. Then I finally found out she was giving me Antibiotics. The reason I had so much diarrhea is because I destroyed my gut flora. The good and bad bacteria was annihilated by the antibiotics leaving my gut weak and vulnerable.

On the positive side, I started rotating a few probiotics and eating more fermented food to replace the flora and I am almost back to normal. I can even eat street BBQ again! I learned my lesson. Never trust my wife with medication again!

My wife really wants to go to India too. Now you got me scared!

I am still on a most of the time diet though. That is for my liver now though. Doctor said I have a extremely inflamed gallbladder and fatty liver. I did a gallbladder flush and got rid of 100's of stones it seemed. Doc still wants me to loose about 20 more pounds.

On a positive note, I am loving the Duke. I ride the hell out of it almost every day. Only strange thing is the throttle cutting out and that is rare now that the bike is broke in. Also, it really likes to shift into neutral instead of second regardless of how hard you shift. Again it is just once in a while but a little annoying.

7. #7 Re: The constant onset of diarrhea! 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Last year I had to go back home to have my bloody! diarrhea treated. I had a minor surgery (cut something out of my skin) and after I got some antibiotics which is natural.
    Unfortunately 3-4 days after the surgery I got a cold or the flu or something like this. Went to the doctors and despite showing her my antibiotics she prescribe me something that shouldnt be taken together with that. After 1 day I saw blood, I stopped all the pills. Than had on and off for about 5 months. Visited many doctors but was wary with the pill they give. Always checked everything online before taking.

So I went back to Europe. On the day of my departure I could still see blood. Arrived, ran some check ups, had some unpleasant tests and nothing. The doctors found nothing, blood disappeared, diarrhea disappeared. Everything is good.
    Never had a diarrhea before this incident in China and never again.

Remains a mystery!

From my experience to get rid of diarrhea in normal circumstances there is nothing better than a diet with salt sticks and Cola.
    That's the wonder weapon for me :-)

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

9. #9 Re: The constant onset of diarrhea! 
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    Last year I had to go back home to have my bloody! diarrhea treated. I had a minor surgery (cut something out of my skin) and after I got some antibiotics which is natural.
    Unfortunately 3-4 days after the surgery I got a cold or the flu or something like this. Went to the doctors and despite showing her my antibiotics she prescribe me something that shouldnt be taken together with that. After 1 day I saw blood, I stopped all the pills. Than had on and off for about 5 months. Visited many doctors but was wary with the pill they give. Always checked everything online before taking.

So I went back to Europe. On the day of my departure I could still see blood. Arrived, ran some check ups, had some unpleasant tests and nothing. The doctors found nothing, blood disappeared, diarrhea disappeared. Everything is good.
    Never had a diarrhea before this incident in China and never again.

Remains a mystery!
    That shit sounds scary. Pun intended. Thank god blood has not been a issue for me yet.

10. #10 Re: The constant onset of diarrhea! 
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    From my experience to get rid of diarrhea in normal circumstances there is nothing better than a diet with salt sticks and Cola.
    That's the wonder weapon for me :-)

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk
    Really? salt sticks and cola?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast