Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 how to check feasibility/legality of importing this 3 wheeler to the US 
    calling on MJH...

How might I be able to check on the possibility of importing one of these trikes to the US.
    This might well be a compounded question between how to purchase safely off of a site like alibaba, getting through customs, and registration for the road in my state, but not sure where to start...

Any advice is appreciated...

http://tinyurl.com/hgxd63s
    2012 DF250RTB_B with Yamaha XV250 V-twin
    1998 XVS650 (For Sale)
    2003 LS650 with Voodoo Vintage hardtail

2. #2 Re: how to check feasibility/legality of importing this 3 wheeler to the US 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    My 2 kuais worth...
    ...and the mantra I live by here in the middle kingdo0m..

Everything in PRC (Ch!na) is just for looking, scratch beneath the surface, for nothing (absolutely) nothing is at it seems (or appears), beAware (be aware and beware) the smoke and mirrors... (15 years experience in PRC).
    [Fake and bull faeces are the order of everything PRC related]

You're really interested in that item (minimum of 2); you'll need to to undertake your own, first-hand`see it yourself in the flesh due diligence, meaning fly into PRC, make your way to the company/manufacturer with a very very competent translator/interpreter who is well versed in vehicles (yeah good luck with that!) and related manufacturing processes, and once you buy the minimum of 2 products, watch everything from that point on, every step of the way including packing and then putting into a container, and then seeing it lifted onto the transporting truck bound for the port... I'd even follow that truck all the way to the port terminal gates where the truck sits in the queue.
    Anything less and you're certain to be disappointed or ripped off one way or another.

You'll have inspection, compliance and whole host of issues... so why not start with your State DMV, Customs etc.

YMMV
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #3 Re: how to check feasibility/legality of importing this 3 wheeler to the US 
    What is your intension to sell them or just for personal use?
    I ask because the process and costs incurred, would be about the same, only difference is that you would not have to keep records of sales if it is only for personal use. However, it would have to meet all the FMVSS regulations as well as have an EPA certificate.
    I totally agree with bikerdoc, and add, the manufacturer is not looking to make sales to individuals, they likely want an importer that will buy many units and do all the work to make them legal in the markets. The 2 units would be for testing and to gain certifications, you would have two for that and request a temporary certificate from the EPA that lasts a year, when the year is up, you get legal or you send them back or destroy them.

4. #4 Re: how to check feasibility/legality of importing this 3 wheeler to the US 
    yes i was just interested in getting 1 or 2 for personally use and for use on the roads if possible.
    so if from what i cant tell there are not any dealers around me, i can suppose they are not easy to be had, and dont suppose want to go through any of that myself...

fwiw this wouldn't be my first Chinese vehicle, i lived and still travel in asia frequently, but rarely in mainland china...
    ive never had trouble shipping stuff ive bought back, i mean with customs... perhaps ive just been lucky....
    2012 DF250RTB_B with Yamaha XV250 V-twin
    1998 XVS650 (For Sale)
    2003 LS650 with Voodoo Vintage hardtail

5. #5 Re: how to check feasibility/legality of importing this 3 wheeler to the US 
    Those are cheap copies of a T-Rex,

6. #6 Re: how to check feasibility/legality of importing this 3 wheeler to the US 
    You need bigger engine, you see, ok.

7. #7 Re: how to check feasibility/legality of importing this 3 wheeler to the US