Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. #51 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Quote Originally Posted by billeuze View Post

For the last step you have to look at the login screen, there is a word or a button or something you can click to get the option to log on without using a phone number. You will still require a phone number to create your userID, but its not required to use wechat afterwards
    I don't see that option. I clicked the "more" link. It just allows me to switch users or add an account. I have an ID and password.

2. #52 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post

What is your list of things to see in China?
    Here are some of the more desired things I want to see.And I have a list of 2nd tier places that will be seen if I am close enough and have enough time.

Danxia Landform
    Zhangjiajie National Park
    Shilin
    The Great Wall
    Tiananmen Square
    Terra cotta soldiers
    Mt. Hua
    Chengdu

3. #53 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob SoCal Adv Tourer's Avatar
    Doogle:

>Have you ever ridden Superstition Mountain, Ocotillo Wells, or Glamis?<
    I drove my 4x4 to the top of the Superstition Mtn at night during a new moon to service VZW cell sites.... It is quite difficult to navigate at night with poor directions and no landmarks. I've ridden Ocotillo Wells and Anza Borrego State Park many times. I hope to visit Glamis this winter.

Returning to China...

I visited Zhangjiajie National Park in March. If you visit the area, I suggest making time for the local gondola ride and certainly consider motorcycling 99-bends road in the same area. There's a glass sky-walk at the top which provides great views.

"It also has the world’s longest cable car ride, which takes 30 minutes to travel 7km and concludes with an incredibly steep 37-degree drop. Passengers look down across the forest-covered valley and can see the notorious 99 bends road – a winding mountain route leading to Tianmen cave, a gaping hole in a rock wall, better known as Heaven’s Door."

Chengdu is also a nice city to attend a Sichuan Opera.

"Sichuanese Opera is big in Chengdu and a good introduction to this beautiful art might be at the Shufeng Yayun Teahouse, which offers a mix of performances that can be easily understood even if you have never been introduced to this type of Opera or if you don’t speak Chinese. Face changing performance, comedy, fire-spitting, those acts are a real treat that you will enjoy."

Also, if you visit the Chengdu region, please consider Jiuzhaigo National Park or Nature Reserve. (Reference links below.) The local minorities provide a really nice lamb BBQ with alcohol, live traditional minority music within very decorative dining hall. It is a fun experience. Be careful....The local minority women may have more than one husband. The young ladies at the BBQ were quite frisky, so watch your six o'clock!<g>

Dive in... the research is half the fun.

Cheers!

David
    (In general, plan to arrive very early at most tourist attractions, especially national parks. Lines will be long.)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tian...HacWCWsQsAQILA

https://www.google.com/search?q=jiuz...CeDI4Q_AUIBygC

https://www.google.com/search?q=chen...Ha_lBooQsAQIGQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=chen...IBigB&dpr=1.25
    Last edited by SoCal Adv Tourer; 12-17-2016 at 09:09 PM.

4. #54 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Hi Doogle

Your list

Danxia Landform
    Shilin
    The Great Wall
    Tiananmen Square
    Terra cotta soldiers
    Mt. Hua
    Chengdu

All good except Tainanmen Square ?
    You will.need to leave the bike out side the 4th or 5th ring road and bus it in mate .

The last thing you will need is to get pulled over near the square with no Chinese DL and you will get stopped 100%
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #55 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob SoCal Adv Tourer's Avatar
    Doogle & other MCM members,

Hello. The following link will help you learn about a city's or region's annual average weather, including

1. monthly average precipitation
    2. monthly average highs and average lows
    3. monthly air quality index, and
    4. monthly average humidity

It is an important route planning tool.

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/climate/

Cheers!

David

6. #56 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Adv Tourer View Post
    I suggest making time for the local gondola ride and certainly consider motorcycling 99-bends road in the same area. There's a glass sky-walk at the top which provides great views.
    I don't think you can get a motorcycle on that road. I could be wrong, but I thought it was closed to all traffic other than the tour buses they force you to take.

Rule of thumb, if it's popular, it will be crowded and expensive. It's better to wander through remote places and see what you find instead of looking to the internet for popular destinations. A single U.S.A. national park pass will get you into 59 national parks for $80. I spent more than $80 in two days visiting Zhangjiajie and a huge portion of the time was spent waiting in line or sitting on a bus. And that was off season middle of the week.

7. #57 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Doogle:

>Have you ever ridden Superstition Mountain, Ocotillo Wells, or Glamis?<
    I drove my 4x4 to the top of the Superstition Mtn at night during a new moon to service VZW cell sites.... It is quite difficult to navigate at night with poor directions and no landmarks. I've ridden Ocotillo Wells and Anza Borrego State Park many times. I hope to visit Glamis this winter.

Returning to China...

I visited Zhangjiajie National Park in March. If you visit the area, I suggest making time for the local gondola ride and certainly consider motorcycling 99-bends road in the same area. There's a glass sky-walk at the top which provides great views.

"It also has the world’s longest cable car ride, which takes 30 minutes to travel 7km and concludes with an incredibly steep 37-degree drop. Passengers look down across the forest-covered valley and can see the notorious 99 bends road – a winding mountain route leading to Tianmen cave, a gaping hole in a rock wall, better known as Heaven’s Door."

Chengdu is also a nice city to attend a Sichuan Opera.

"Sichuanese Opera is big in Chengdu and a good introduction to this beautiful art might be at the Shufeng Yayun Teahouse, which offers a mix of performances that can be easily understood even if you have never been introduced to this type of Opera or if you don’t speak Chinese. Face changing performance, comedy, fire-spitting, those acts are a real treat that you will enjoy."

Also, if you visit the Chengdu region, please consider Jiuzhaigo National Park or Nature Reserve. (Reference links below.) The local minorities provide a really nice lamb BBQ with alcohol, live traditional minority music within very decorative dining hall. It is a fun experience. Be careful....The local minority women may have more than one husband. The young ladies at the BBQ were quite frisky, so watch your six o'clock!<g>

Dive in... the research is half the fun.

Cheers!

David
    (In general, plan to arrive very early at most tourist attractions, especially national parks. Lines will be long.)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tian...HacWCWsQsAQILA

https://www.google.com/search?q=jiuz...CeDI4Q_AUIBygC

https://www.google.com/search?q=chen...Ha_lBooQsAQIGQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=chen...IBigB&dpr=1.25
    It's on my list.

8. #58 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Hi Doogle

Your list

Danxia Landform
    Shilin
    The Great Wall
    Tiananmen Square
    Terra cotta soldiers
    Mt. Hua
    Chengdu

All good except Tainanmen Square ?
    You will.need to leave the bike out side the 4th or 5th ring road and bus it in mate .

The last thing you will need is to get pulled over near the square with no Chinese DL and you will get stopped 100%
    I don't plan to ride in any big cities. I'll park and ride to the attractions. I do hope to see you in Thailand.
    Last edited by Doogle; 01-18-2017 at 05:41 PM. Reason: spelling

9. #59 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Doogle & other MCM members,

Hello. The following link will help you learn about a city's or region's annual average weather, including

1. monthly average precipitation
    2. monthly average highs and average lows
    3. monthly air quality index, and
    4. monthly average humidity

It is an important route planning tool.

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/climate/

Cheers!

David
    David,
    Thanks,but I already have weather conditions of all China.

10. #60 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    I don't think you can get a motorcycle on that road. I could be wrong, but I thought it was closed to all traffic other than the tour buses they force you to take.

Rule of thumb, if it's popular, it will be crowded and expensive. It's better to wander through remote places and see what you find instead of looking to the internet for popular destinations. A single U.S.A. national park pass will get you into 59 national parks for $80. I spent more than $80 in two days visiting Zhangjiajie and a huge portion of the time was spent waiting in line or sitting on a bus. And that was off season middle of the week.
    I understand. But if I;m half way around the world, I really don;t care what it costs. I've passed good sites in the USA before. But the cost to eventually return and enter makes the over priced ticket seem negligible.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast