Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Hi Doogle

See what Jan comes back with and did you get a PM from BikerDoc ?

When do you think you will come to Thailand ?

I am based in Chiang Rai and have good contact with renting a bike.

http://crbigbikerentals.com/reserve

Brain the owner is a friend of mine so some deal could be had with him also if you rent from him he will let you take the bike into Laos
    and arrange all the paperwork needed for you and the bike to go to Laos.
    It will be best to meet up in Thailand and talk about China face to face.
    To contact me download WeChat app and find me by my username.
    WeChat I.D. Princeinhainan.

All The best riding roads are in the north of Thailand from Chiang Mai up.
    What bike are you thinking to rent/buy?

But most places I would think you could sell a bike for parts and get at least half the purchase price.
    You need to learn a lot more about China mate if you think that? more like 20% of the purchase price IF you are lucky.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

2. #22 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    I would guess I will get back to Thailand around the middle of March.
    I haven't heard back from Jan yet. Emailed him 12/8.
    I've read that people are required to get a permit for each province they plan to enter in China. And give routes they will use. Do you know if this is true?
    I need to send my passport off this week for my visa. Time is running out.

What bike would I like to ride in S.E. Asia? Depends where I'm riding. In the states I have 2 Harleys, DRZ400, and a KLR650. I'm 6'1" and weigh 225 pounds. The DRZ has enough power and is light enough to go off road. I don't think I will be doing huge highway miles in Thailand. If there aren't any big hill climbs a 250 to 400cc would be good enough.

I don't know enough about WeChat to trust them. I know millions do. I don't trust Google that much either. But I can't avoid them completely.

3. #23 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Just sent Jan a wechat message to find out if he got your email.

Just apply for a Tourist visa and that will cover you for ALL over China.
    just got a reply Jan and he said that he has not had an email in from you so PM me your email and I pass it on to Jan

I don't know enough about WeChat to trust them. I know millions do. I don't trust Google that much either. But I can't avoid them completely.
    You need to sort out something that does work in China Doogle because your FaceBook ,Google, Youtube, Line, Twitter won't work unless you use a VPN and then you will still have problems
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #24 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Will I have problems with accommodations at hotels? I read that many won't rent to foreigners.
    And will fuel be a problem? I read that gas may only be sold if you have the right license plate.
    I think I read these issues on the HUBB. Just want to verify and discard these concerns if unnecessary.

5. #25 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
    Will I have problems with accommodations at hotels? I read that many won't rent to foreigners.
    And will fuel be a problem? I read that gas may only be sold if you have the right license plate.
    I think I read these issues on the HUBB. Just want to verify and discard these concerns if unnecessary.
    Stop reading... everything you read is true, everything you read is false... except on Thursday, then it's maybe depending on the person. Does any of it matter, I'm still not understanding the part where you get a Chinese C1E motorcycle license on a tourist visa?

6. #26 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Stop reading... everything you read is true, everything you read is false... except on Thursday, then it's maybe depending on the person. Does any of it matter, I'm still not understanding the part where you get a Chinese C1E motorcycle license on a tourist visa?
    It does matter to me. If getting a room is difficult, I will bring a tent. If gas can be a problem, I will have some extra cans with me. It may seem to be a silly question to you. But I don't know what to expect-other than what I read on forums. And I don't always believe what I read there. I've ridden through Russia, Mongolia, and Bolivia. I was told I might have problems getting gas. They were right. But I planned for it.

7. #27 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    C-Moto Regular
    Jackson Hole by GuYaJu, Yanqing county, Beijing. And sometimes west coast of Canada.
    Hi Doogle.

No problem getting gas except in Beijing. And there you need your motorcycle registration papers, not your drivers licence.

The best motorcycling in China is in and around Yunnan province, so if you are considering renting a bike from Prince's friend, then I suggest exploring Yunnan and Sichuan, return the rental to Kunming then fly or take the train to Beijing to get your flight home. By the way, the provincial where border you are most likely to be asked for your drivers license is the one entering Beijing. I live on the Beijing/Hebei border and they sometimes check.

Prince666 knows a lot about motorcycling in China and Thailand - he is a good contact to have.

Getting hotel rooms in tiny villages in China can be next to impossible as hotels need a special police registration to let rooms to foreigners. Small town hotels that likely would never see any foreigners, don't go to the trouble and expense of getting set up for foreigners. But within a few miles of every small village there are small cities or large towns that have foreigner friendly hotels. How to know? use a hotel booking service like booking.com, it tells you if you can use a passport or need a china national ID card to check in. Foreigner friendly or not, they will not speak English unless you are right in the middle of a tourist area of a major city. So get used to using sign language, smiling and laughing.

When I went on my 5 week tour I was glad I brought a tent. I only used it 3 times, but its good to know that if you are stuck, you have a place to sleep. It is very difficult to plan ahead exactly where you will get to the next day because road conditions can vary so much and you can't tell from looking at the map. Also in China you can pitch a tent pretty much anywhere and no one will come along telling you you can't camp there.
    In China: 2013 Benelli 600gs
    In Canada: 1980-'85 Shovester (under construction), 1983 kz440

8. #28 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Hi Doogle
    Hubb what do these guys know, most don't live here in China and there have heard from a friend of a friend?
    Here on MCM you have real people who live ride and eat here in China.

HOTELS

Yes, it's true that SOME hotel will not allow western people to stay, but these are normally the low-end range and I have found that 99.9% of the time you will find a hotel that will allow you to book in.
    And as mention by Bill normally happens in very small towns, but being in China most times you are nor far away from a larger town.

PETROL

Again SOME petrol station will ask to see the bike's owners documents to make sure the bike is legal.

This has only happened to me 2 times in 7 years with 100.000s km riding in China so it's very unusual and normally happens in a large city like Beijing sometimes because there can't speak English and you can't speak Chinese most will give up asking and just fill your bike up with petrol.

Your biggest headache with be these when trying to get petrol.

contemporary-watering-cans.jpg

The most important thing you must understand about China is.

1. It's a logic free zone

2. Laws and rules are not consistent, so what happens in 1 town, city, the province may not happen in others
    I see your biggest challenge being that you can't speak Chinese and most members on MCM can speak some Chinese or have a wife or a friend at the end of a phone.
    I think the point ChinaV is saying you can only go so far trying to be a good Boy Scout and sometimes it just best to get on with it and ride and sort out all the shit along the way.
    That works for me ok.

Bill has just ridden from Beijing to Yunnan and Sichuan so he has made a good point, stay in that area its big and has more attraction and places to see then what you have time for ?
    And why not look at Hainan if you have time

My top 3 list of area and places to ride in China are.
    1. Yunnan
    2. Sichuan
    3 .Hainan

Yes you have the Geat Wall of China near Beijing but you need to ride a lot of shit roads to get to see the Wall from Kunming is it worth it ?
    A BIG NO.
    Last edited by prince666; 12-13-2016 at 02:51 AM.

9. #29 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
    It does matter to me. If getting a room is difficult, I will bring a tent. If gas can be a problem, I will have some extra cans with me. It may seem to be a silly question to you. But I don't know what to expect-other than what I read on forums. And I don't always believe what I read there. I've ridden through Russia, Mongolia, and Bolivia. I was told I might have problems getting gas. They were right. But I planned for it.
    If you plan on riding in big cities with motorcycle restrictions gas can be a problem, otherwise, no problem... other than using a teapot to fill the tank in some places. If you have limited funds and want to stay in cheap hotels, you may have a problem. I've never been in a city in China that didn't have some hotel a foreigner can stay in. That said, I've been in plenty of cities that foreigners didn't want to spend the money to stay at a foreigner approved hotel. Assuming that bringing a tent will solve the problem leads to the problem of where will you put the tent. You can camp in China, but it's not easy, especially if you don't speak the language. Privacy is hard to come by, and popping up a tent usually leads to the police showing up and checking your documents.

10. #30 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Another thing worth mentioning, just because you have an extra gas can doesn't mean you can get it filled. Most stations won't fill cans, you will have to go down the road and transfer it out of your tank and then return to the station and top it off.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast