Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. #61 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    I really appreciate all the responses you all have given. I do follow up on all of them. Everything you post helps me develop a better plan.

2. #62 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Not many western people who live in China knows that if you are 60 years old or more then the ticket price is 50% less or in some cases FREE ?
    And this applies to ALL Chinses and visites to China .
    I have this message download on my phone .

"我今年60岁了,票价是否有50%的折扣?这是我的中国驾驶执照"

It just saying you are 60 or older and asking for the 50% discount, it works for me ok
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #63 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob SoCal Adv Tourer's Avatar
    Doogle & MCM Members:

Hello. I have visited Xi'an a couple times and highly recommend the following activities, in addition to visiting the terracotta warriors, during your visit. The local parks & pagoda are nice also.

Cheers!

David

Xi'an Dumpling Dinner Show: (Reserve in advance for a table near the front.)
    https://www.viator.com/tours/Xian/Xi...26-2042XA_N_01

Shaanxi History Museum:
    Nice free museum: Very interesting sculptures and ancient gold coins.
    http://e.sxhm.com/en_about.asp?id=1

Bicycle ride along the top of the Xi'an City Wall: ( One of many favorite memories.)
    Zhu Yuanzhang enlarge the wall built initially during the old Tang Dynasty (618 - 907), forming today's scale of Xian City Wall. The wall now stands 12 meters (40 feet) tall, 12-14 meters (40-46 feet) wide at the top and 15-18 meters (50-60 feet) thick at the bottom. It covers 13.7 kilometers (8.5 miles) in length with a deep moat surrounding it. Every 120 meters, there is a rampart which extends out from the main wall.

https://www.google.com/search?q=xian...ycle+city+wall

Xi'an at Night:
    Visit the beautifully illuminated Bell Tower and Drum Tower
    https://www.google.com/search?q=xian...ght+bell+tower

Famen Temple (Finger bones of Buddha and interesting architecture.)
    "Llocated in Famen town, 120 km west of Xian. From 5-12 May 1987, after the opening of underground palace, four relics claimed to be directly related to Buddha were found. Thereafter, Famen Temple became Buddhist pilgrimage. This temple is famous for discovery the fingers bones of Sakyamuni. And historical records reveal that eight emperors of the Tang Dynasty once welcomed the finger bones of Buddha to the palace and donated a large number of treasures to the underground palace of the temple."
    http://www.topchinatravel.com/china-...men-temple.htm

Pagota Visit:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=xian...&q=xian+pagoda
    Last edited by SoCal Adv Tourer; 12-18-2016 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Additional Information

4. #64 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Adv Tourer View Post
    Doogle & MCM Members:

Hello. I have visited Xi'an a couple times and highly recommend the following activities, in addition to visiting the terracotta warriors, during your visit. The local parks & pagoda are nice also.
    Were you renting motorcycles in Xian, Chengdu, and Kunming? I am not finding places to rent from. I know riding in the city may not be allowed. But there still must be shops on the outskirts that rent. I am also thinking I may need to stay in Kunming for a week while getting a temporary license. I believe that license is good for 6 years. I may want to return to China anyway.

5. #65 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    C-Moto Regular
    Jackson Hole by GuYaJu, Yanqing county, Beijing. And sometimes west coast of Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
    Were you renting motorcycles in Xian, Chengdu, and Kunming? I am not finding places to rent from. I know riding in the city may not be allowed. But there still must be shops on the outskirts that rent. I am also thinking I may need to stay in Kunming for a week while getting a temporary license. I believe that license is good for 6 years. I may want to return to China anyway.
    Look earlier in this thread. Prince has a buddy near Chengdu who rents motos. And he also does all the arrangements to get your temporary drivers license. It doesn't get any better than that.

The temp license is good for 6 months or a year, I don't remember exactly. Only the real driver licence is good for 6 years.
    In China: 2013 Benelli 600gs
    In Canada: 1980-'85 Shovester (under construction), 1983 kz440

6. #66 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Quote Originally Posted by billeuze View Post
    Look earlier in this thread. Prince has a buddy near Chengdu who rents motos. And he also does all the arrangements to get your temporary drivers license. It doesn't get any better than that.

The temp license is good for 6 months or a year, I don't remember exactly. Only the real driver licence is good for 6 years.
    i hope to see Prince666 in Thailand. And I have Jan's email address in Kunming. I hope to use him for a rental. I would like to have several rental shops to pick from in different cities. I would prefer to have a bike to use for my whole trip. But I gave up on that plan.

Below is a general, and very flexible, plan for my schedule:
    Hanoi 3/4-3/8
    Phnom Penh 3/8-3/12 8/3/2017- 12/3/2017
    Chiang Mai 3/12-3/16 12/3/2017- 16/3/2017
    Mandalay 3/16-3/20 16/3/2017- 20/3/2017
    Kunming 3/20-3/24 20/3/2017- 24/3/2017
    Chengdu 3/28-4/1 28/3/2017- 1/4/2017
    Xian 4/1-4/5 1/4/2017- 5/4/2017
    4/5-4/15 Maybe go to Shanghai. Then go to Beijing. 5/4/2017- 15/4/2017

I think I will fly from city to city. Maybe take the train from Shanghai to Beijing. I don't like to have firm plans. But I did this general itinerary to have an idea what flights and costs might be.

I would like to do a trip to Tibet in the next couple years. And I won't put a time constraint on myself next time. But the "Tour" prices are ridiculous. Well that's a thread for the future.
    Last edited by Doogle; 01-20-2017 at 07:16 PM. Reason: change date format

7. #67 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Hi Matey
    Just sent you a WeChat message ?
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #68 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Could anyone suggest what I should use for phone service while in SE Asia? Someone suggested Unicom for China. Is there any service that would be good in all countries? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to phones. I upgraded from my rotary dial to a smart phone though. I have a Samsung Galaxy.
    I'm not a heavy phone user. My communication home is with Skype. If WIFI isn't available I would use my phone to access forums and Skype. When I rode through Russia several years ago, I bought a modem? and a simm card for my tablet. I think I don't need a modem now that I have a smart phone.

9. #69 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Could anyone suggest what I should use for phone service while in SE Asia? Someone suggested Unicom for China. Is there any service that would be good in all countries? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to phones. I upgraded from my rotary dial to a smart phone though. I have a Samsung Galaxy.
    I'm not a heavy phone user. My communication home is with Skype. If WIFI isn't available I would use my phone to access forums and Skype. When I rode through Russia several years ago, I bought a modem? and a simm card for my tablet. I think I don't need a modem now that I have a smart phone.

You can definitely buy "international" sim cards. What that means is it's really from one place and they guarantee the roaming rates.
    It is typically cheaper to use a local sim when you change countries.
    Unicom and China Mobile are the two leading groups in China.
    If you are using your own phone from outside China, Unicom is more likely to get you 4g because China Mobile has a unique 4g radio.

Shopping sim cards just gets easier and easier.
    So I would encourage you to ask a local friend to buy you one in each country.

If you really don't want to do that, search online for international sim cards.
    This one actually has a bunch of good ratings on google, which I would prefer, since I don't know these companies...
    https://www.worldsim.com/internation...d?___store=usa

10. #70 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob

Also, if you really want to just have one phone number for your trip,
    there are many "virtual number" services that can do this for you.
    I think Google Hangouts is still free to register a number. (of course in China, you'd also need a vpn for anything google.)
    For Skype, you can pay to have a fixed inbound number, I think.

I won't try to explain all the options right now, but if you're really interested, I can answer questions.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast