Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
  1. #71 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    As mmj suggests buying a separate SIM card for each country is the easiest and likely cheapest option. Buying one card to access different Telecom providers in different countries (roaming) can be expensive, speaking from first hand experience. I use local SIM cards for use in NZ, Australia, Ch!na, Malaysia and Thailand. It's a pain to have to carry and swap out SIM cards each time I travel to said countries, but it is a matter of cost versus convenience. Buying a SIM card is easy in Thailand and Malaysia, whereas buying a SIM card in Ch!na requires ones ID card/Passport etc. In Australia, NZ, Malaysia and Thailand, there are various SIM card options sold at the arrivals section of the international airports.
    Also anything related to G00gle in Ch!na, will require a V P N that works. Keep in mind that sometimes V P N also have issues... as there are local authority "crack downs" from time to time (cat and mouse / carrot and stick 'games').
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

2. #72 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Just 1 correction Doc if you don't mind you also need to present your passport as well in Thailand to purchess a SIM card, but not big deal very quick and easy.
    And I am waiting downstairs matey for the ride so sort your self out and get your ass down here lol
    Last edited by prince666; 02-17-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #73 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    I'm in HaLong Bay today. Still planning on getting to Chiang Mai in about a week. Can't access much incoming email. I assume my outbox is still working. Been too busy to solve server problem. 4 days till I'm on my own. Still hope to see prince666 in Thailand or Kunming.

4. #74 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Sent you a WeChat message
    Have a great time ride safe see you in CM soon
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #75 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    OK, just happened to see the thread on advrider; still in the middle of it--nice to see you are doing what you wanted to do, Doogle!! And Prince666--my knuckles were getting white seeing the photo at 4k meters with the snow on the thread from the guy wanting to buy a bike for him and his family to ride on

6. #76 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Posted message on the other so called thread ?

7. #77 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    No message, just a post on advrider, and here on the family-of-four-on-a-bike thread.

8. #78 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Just revisited this thread while going through my bookmarks. I want to thank all that responded. Prince 666 was the best help I could have asked for. And the fact that I got to ride with him made it that much better. Some things I want to add now that I reread all the posts.

1. The Chinese people are the best, most helpful people I have ever been around. And I've been to 76 countries.
    2.Language wasn't much of an issue. Usually someone spoke some English. If not, they would pull out their translator before I could get mine out.
    3.Getting gas wasn't a problem. Some places made me move the bike away. Then they filled cans and brought them to the bike. Once or twice I was asked for ownership papers before they would sell gas.
    4.Maybe 1 out of 3 times I had to find a foreigner approved hotel. But I was usually given directions to a hotel.
    5.Check points weren't a big issue. I think only one wanted to see bike registration papers.
    6.Getting money out of an ATM is difficult. I was finally told that only provincial banks in bigger cities will allow the transactions. I was very luck to have had Prince 666 with me. I would have wasted days trying to get that worked out.

I had a great time.
    Last edited by Doogle; 08-24-2017 at 06:20 PM.

9. #79 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Hi Doogle
    Thank you for the kind words .
    But how can one not help such a nice guy, it was my pleasure and an
    Prilivage to ride with you not only in China but Thailand was great fun and fast hehehe.
    I had my work cut out trying to keep in front lol.
    Have a new bike now got the lighter CFmoto 650 MT, the TR-G had it's day with me with 70.000 km clocked up.
    On a ride now with the new bike.
    Decided to do the very north of China along the Russia / Chinese border.
    Not as cold as some of those mountain passed we rode, and no Black Ice lol.
    Still have nightmares what would off happen had you not run back to warn me about the ice.?
    But that's what you get when you ride with very exprenace riders like you mate.
    Please keep me updated with you further rides.
    Hope to see you again.
    Give my regards to you wife and again thank your wife for all the work she done.
    Keep the rubber down mate.
    Steve

OI003162.jpg

OI000313.jpg

The red dotted line is the border with Russia

Screenshot_20170824-233427.jpg

And you can see from the next picture his far north I am above North Korean lol .

Screenshot_20170824-233453.jpg

10. #80 Re: Newbie from Ohio,USA 
    Just home yesterday from a ride to Labrador. It was 5000 miles with about 400 miles of dirt/gravel roads. Not much to see there except trees and lakes. I wanted to ride it before they paved the whole route. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links on this forum. But here it is. And I think you told me it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...-2017.1240652/

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast