Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 The fun process of registering your bike in Changchun. 
    This is just some insight on how the process is handled in Changchun China.

Let me start by describing it all in one word. FRUSTRATING

I have registered two bikes now. The first was not so bad, the second made me want to slit my wrists and sky dive with out a parachute to see which would kill me quicker.

The first bike! I did not know what to do so I paid a lady 100 rmb to walk me through it all. It took about 4 hours. Most of which I was just waiting. No real issues or problems. This was for my KTM Duke 390. The reason I had no problems was only because the department of motor vehicles did not have a picture of what a Duke 390 was supposed to look like from the factory. You will see how this comes into play on bike 2.

The second bike! I thought I would be brave and do it on my own this time. I remembered the process quite well. First I went in and paid to have the bike entered into a computer system and them take pictures of my bike. They lied and told me I needed inspection first. So i went to have it inspected and as a thought they told me to go get the pictures first. I went back to the place for the pictures and they desperately tried to send me back to the inspection center. I argued for almost an hour and someone showed up finally willing to do the photos. PROBLEM! My bike has accessories from the dealer that were not in their "from the factory" picture. With out any tools they wanted me to dissemble my bike. Luckily someone with tools forgot a helmet which is also needed for the pictures so we traded for a while. I had to tear the crash bars, luggage rack, storage compartments and a few other small things off. Then take the picture and leave my stuff at the spot unprotected from theft while I went and got the inspection. It took 2 hours waiting in line to get the inspection. The inspector did not want to inspect motorcycles just the cars. I argued and he kept telling me to wait. Then I had to go back and assemble my bike again.

Next I went to the tax office to pay tax. I stood in line for two hours, literally 3 people away from the desk and they said "sorry were closing for lunch, come back in two hours".

I came back in two hours and waited another hour and finally paid my taxes. Went next door to get insurance, I was thankful that was quick and easy. Now it is finally time to go register the bike and get a plate. I went into the DMV again and waited another 2 hours for my number to be called. I did the registration. They told me I would have to wait till tomorrow to get my plate because it is to late. :(

Picked up the plate today! That only took about 20 minutes. What a nightmare! Should of just paid the 100 rmb and had someone else do it.

My Duke next to my E-Bike
    duke.jpg

The Dayang scooter that was a nightmare to register
    1.jpg
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

... At least you got it done! I u did a good thing by describing the MaFan for all others. Appreciated!

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

3. #3 Re: The fun process of registering your bike in Changchun. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Asymptomatic View Post
    This is just some insight on how the process is handled in Changchun China.

Let me start by describing it all in one word. FRUSTRATING

I have registered two bikes now. The first was not so bad, the second made me want to slit my wrists and sky dive with out a parachute to see which would kill me quicker.

The first bike! I did not know what to do so I paid a lady 100 rmb to walk me through it all. It took about 4 hours. Most of which I was just waiting. No real issues or problems. This was for my KTM Duke 390. The reason I had no problems was only because the department of motor vehicles did not have a picture of what a Duke 390 was supposed to look like from the factory. You will see how this comes into play on bike 2.

The second bike! I thought I would be brave and do it on my own this time. I remembered the process quite well. First I went in and paid to have the bike entered into a computer system and them take pictures of my bike. They lied and told me I needed inspection first. So i went to have it inspected and as a thought they told me to go get the pictures first. I went back to the place for the pictures and they desperately tried to send me back to the inspection center. I argued for almost an hour and someone showed up finally willing to do the photos. PROBLEM! My bike has accessories from the dealer that were not in their "from the factory" picture. With out any tools they wanted me to dissemble my bike. Luckily someone with tools forgot a helmet which is also needed for the pictures so we traded for a while. I had to tear the crash bars, luggage rack, storage compartments and a few other small things off. Then take the picture and leave my stuff at the spot unprotected from theft while I went and got the inspection. It took 2 hours waiting in line to get the inspection. The inspector did not want to inspect motorcycles just the cars. I argued and he kept telling me to wait. Then I had to go back and assemble my bike again.

Next I went to the tax office to pay tax. I stood in line for two hours, literally 3 people away from the desk and they said "sorry were closing for lunch, come back in two hours".

I came back in two hours and waited another hour and finally paid my taxes. Went next door to get insurance, I was thankful that was quick and easy. Now it is finally time to go register the bike and get a plate. I went into the DMV again and waited another 2 hours for my number to be called. I did the registration. They told me I would have to wait till tomorrow to get my plate because it is to late. :(

Picked up the plate today! That only took about 20 minutes. What a nightmare! Should of just paid the 100 rmb and had someone else do it.

My Duke next to my E-Bike

The Dayang scooter that was a nightmare to register

sad for your problems...but not .......

all motos have to be inspected..even the new ones...they have always put mine on a machine and checked headlight adjustment, turn signals etc.... then they rub on the serial numbers to get an impression and the like.

when i buy a moto the dealer tells me not to make any modifications until after i get the license plate. (now only a rear plate is given)... i always see guys out in the parking lot taking off mufflers and stuff before inspection and they do it right in front of the police. he he this has to be done again every two years where its registered.
    dont forget to get insurance on its first anniversary and subsequent years.

4. #4 Re: The fun process of registering your bike in Changchun. 
    Quote Originally Posted by kikikillercat View Post
    sad for your problems...but not .......

all motos have to be inspected..even the new ones...they have always put mine on a machine and checked headlight adjustment, turn signals etc.... then they rub on the serial numbers to get an impression and the like.

when i buy a moto the dealer tells me not to make any modifications until after i get the license plate. (now only a rear plate is given)... i always see guys out in the parking lot taking off mufflers and stuff before inspection and they do it right in front of the police. he he this has to be done again every two years where its registered.
    dont forget to get insurance on its first anniversary and subsequent years.
    I've never had my bike inspected. I tried once, but was turned away as 'tai mafan'. They probably do them now and again these days.
    I'll buy insurance but honestly I can't be bothered to have some retarded moron tell me my bike is safe. That's between me and my mechanic.

Banned
    Yearly or two yearly audit doesn't need to be stock looking - only at ownership change and it not only needs to look stock but wheels sizes tyre sizes etc and maybe more just like the green book. Audit is just a bull crap safety type inspection not an identification inspection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. #6 Re: The fun process of registering your bike in Changchun. 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    ^That depends.

Different locations and jurisdictions do things differently.

I recently had all my bikes reinspected (4 in total). A few differences at this inspection compared with the last years inspection. All bikes were photographed from front, rear and each side. The frame number was no longer just rubbed using paper and pencil to get the frame number impression. This time all bikes frame and engine numbers were photographed. The person doing the inspection, used a mobile phone and an app that were connected to the Traffic PSB. He did this with every bike going for inspection. The actual inspection was far less extensive as it used to be. No longer as strict. Mainly focused on several items.

Weight of bike.
    Brakes front and rear on rolling road.
    Headlight.
    dB of muffler - although no sensor placed into the tailpipe as before.
    ... that was it.

No horn check
    No indicator/turn signal checks
    No brake light check
    No tail light check
    No emissions check (no sensor inserted into tail pipe as used to be)

Really it was such a different check compared to all the previous 11+ years I've been going to the same PSB inspection facility.

Only that now it is much quieter.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso