Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Are CJ's dead and gone? 
    C-Moto Noob
    I have heard that in China the once common Chang Jiangs have now mostly turned into scrap metal. What is the truth behind this and is it still possible to buy a CJ for export within China? I might be buying one here in the US but I want to know if my part supply is secure. Many Thanks!

They are disappearing. Now the Jialing sidecars coming up.
    U may check with Jim Bryant in Henderson Nevada. He is maybe still in CJ's with BMW engine mods.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

BTW : on TaoBao u still can find lots of CJ's, but for 30k RMB quite expensive.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

4. #4 Re: Are CJ's dead and gone? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgoth225 View Post
    I have heard that in China the once common Chang Jiangs have now mostly turned into scrap metal. What is the truth behind this and is it still possible to buy a CJ for export within China? I might be buying one here in the US but I want to know if my part supply is secure. Many Thanks!
    Yes, CJs were common from about 1998 until about 2008. Their popularity was primarily due to the fact that one could not reasonably buy any foreign motorcycle in China. I bought my first one (24hp) in Shanghai in about 2000 (paid 6,000 rmb), my second one in Beijing in about 2005 (paid 8,000 rmb), and then one of Bryant's hack jobs in about 2009 (I am embarrassed by how much I paid). In the past, the bikes were legally plated and plates were cheap (about 150 rmb for a transfer, IIRC). They are virtually all illegal now. Further, in major Chinese cities (i.e., Beijing) one would be nuts to own/use one in traffic.

CJs were (are) complete piles of garbage but, back then, beggars could not be choosers. There are still parts available from dealers here and there, but be prepared to be totally ripped off (unless you read/write/speak Chinese). The few "western" "dealers" charge 20-50 times what the Chinese dealers charge.

Buyer beware!

5. #5 Re: Are CJ's dead and gone? 
    I am not holding my breath, but Shineray recently had received certification for their XY 400 and XY 400 GY models for DOT/EPA. The XY 400 is the one that looks like the old-fashioned Scrambler, and is supposed to be sold via Genuine in the US, while the XY 400 GY is the X5 (I believe--someone could clarify) not seemingly planned to be sold by anyone, but certified either way.

I bring it up because this caught my eye, and should fall within the same certificate

http://www.shineraymotor.com/Product...1&click_flag=1

201662410145.jpg

Not as 'romantic' ideal as the CJ, but cool nevertheless!
    Last edited by culcune; 09-10-2016 at 02:23 AM. Reason: spelling error

6. #6 Re: Are CJ's dead and gone? 
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    I am not holding my breath, but Shineray recently had received certification for their XY 400 and XY 400 GY models for DOT/EPA. The XY 400 is the one that looks like the old-fashioned Scrambler, and is supposed to be sold via Genuine in the US, while the XY 400 GY is the X5 (I believe--someone could clarify) not seemingly planned to be sold by anyone, but certified either way.

I bring it up because this caught my eye, and should fall within the same certificate

http://www.shineraymotor.com/Product...1&click_flag=1

201662410145.jpg

Not as 'romantic' ideal as the CJ, but cool nevertheless!
    Hope that rig makes it to the USA. Sweet!
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

7. #7 Re: Are CJ's dead and gone? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Yes, CJs were common from about 1998 until about 2008. Their popularity was primarily due to the fact that one could not reasonably buy any foreign motorcycle in China. I bought my first one (24hp) in Shanghai in about 2000 (paid 6,000 rmb), my second one in Beijing in about 2005 (paid 8,000 rmb), and then one of Bryant's hack jobs in about 2009 (I am embarrassed by how much I paid). In the past, the bikes were legally plated and plates were cheap (about 150 rmb for a transfer, IIRC). They are virtually all illegal now. Further, in major Chinese cities (i.e., Beijing) one would be nuts to own/use one in traffic.

CJs were (are) complete piles of garbage but, back then, beggars could not be choosers. There are still parts available from dealers here and there, but be prepared to be totally ripped off (unless you read/write/speak Chinese). The few "western" "dealers" charge 20-50 times what the Chinese dealers charge.

Buyer beware!
    ^what he said
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #8 Re: Are CJ's dead and gone? 
    IMG_20160911_090603.jpg
    My Ural at the Cheoah Dam Western North Carolina.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

9. #9 Re: Are CJ's dead and gone? 
    How is the Ural holding up? Then again, how is your Icebear rig holding up? Always love that bike!

I wonder if we might see the Shineray, let alone the two wheeled version which is supposed to make it to our shores and has an EPA/DOT certificate for the US. I hope the sidecar doesn't affect the certificate so these could be brought over, too!

10. #10 Re: Are CJ's dead and gone? 
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    How is the Ural holding up? Then again, how is your Icebear rig holding up? Always love that bike!

I wonder if we might see the Shineray, let alone the two wheeled version which is supposed to make it to our shores and has an EPA/DOT certificate for the US. I hope the sidecar doesn't affect the certificate so these could be brought over, too!
    My Ural is trouble free at 21k km. Knock on wood. Still waiting for the Shineray to make it to the USA. Going good in Europe as the Mash.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG