Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: RR from Zhejiang to Poland 
    AMAZING pictures! Thanks for sharing!

2. #12 Re: RR from Zhejiang to Poland 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks!

Road conditions were mostly not bad with few exceptions and the Pamirs were not it. In Kyrgyzstan Ive spent some time in Osh with a Swiss mechanic, he has a bike workshop/bike travel agency/bike winter storage and there were many riders who came down from the Pamirs. They said Ill die there on my wee road bike. Said I was delusional or brave or stupid. Said their BMWs and KTMs have barely made it through. Said there are nights with temperature around -20. I was shitting my pants at the sound of the word Pamir.
    Got there and it was pleasant. Roads were dirt but ok, no major river crossings, nights were cold but not freezing, all good. I guess all these people add a bit of imaginary difficulty to the road to give themselves more credit for completing it.

My YBR was great and had no problems until that fuel system issue. I did put some weird stuff there tho. In Uzbekistan I was told I could fill up before a desert ride in one particular city. It was supposed to be good quality petrol. when I got there I had only about 50km left in my tank. All the petrol stations were empty and after 2h Ive found a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who sells some petrol. Ive filled my bike and went across the desert. I think it was kerosene or something. The bike went mad. Stalling, spitting, overheating. I got rid of that shit the first chance i got but it wasnt soon enough and the damage was done already I think. Should have gone back 120k to get better grade fuel, but hey.....what if, what if
    So the Chinese lemon bike is not all to blame ;)

p.s.
    Prince waiting for your RR and pics ;)

3. #13 Re: RR from Zhejiang to Poland 
    Modron,
    Outstanding pictures and an even more outstanding ride. I salute you!
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

4. #14 Re: RR from Zhejiang to Poland 
    Plugged fuel system just basic syndrome of shitty fuel. http://www.motorfans.com.cn/thread-17001129-1-1.html Stunted rings/ Valves bent ... also possible.

5. #15 Re: RR from Zhejiang to Poland 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Dont know what really happened there but it looked like clogged EFI. From 3l/100km it went down to 2l and it kept on struggling. when clutch pulled a little it was better, didnt have enough power to pull but still starts (with difficulty tho)

6. #16 Re: RR from Zhejiang to Poland 
    Yamaha are only part lemon
    Benelli are full lemons.
    When we spoke about each other rides back to the EU and you told me about the route you was taking that was my main worrie was getting good petrol that why our group decided on the Russia route.

But saying that looking at your pictures I would consider that way next time, but only on the correct ADV bike and loads of extra petrol.

Will you be trying again next year and was you not surposed to meet you farther in Turkey.

P.s Have a great report lined up and with a good insight into doing trip like this with over 6000 pictures at hand and over 6 TB off videos.
    But as I said the other day I need to be on my PC at home to complete the RR and I am sorry to say I am in Sichuan just now waiting to start round 2 .
    Then after this I will be back in Shandong to do the RR .
    In the mean time everyone including me are excited to read more about your Ride.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

When I hear the Uzbek petrol it sounds like very low octan. Maybe even fuel mixed with other stuff.
    Stalling and uncontrolled ignition are typical signs for that.
    There was a ride report from two guys on X5 and X2 somewhere telling same story. At the end the piston from the X2 burned through.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

8. #18 Re: RR from Zhejiang to Poland 
    On my ride into Russia 80 octane is still being sold ? And I would imagine the Stans country's get there petrol from Russia.

The 2 guys was that not the Monkeykings RR

www.monkeyking.jimdo.com
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

9. #19 Re: RR from Zhejiang to Poland 
    Back in 2010 we had a discussion about bad fuel in China...

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...s-likely/page2

I recommend carrying the internal fuel filters for your EFI system if you're headed out on a major trip. It won't help with poorly blended fuel mixes, but it's great insurance against destroying your fuel pump in questionable areas.

10. #20 Re: RR from Zhejiang to Poland 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    ...It won't help with poorly blended fuel mixes...
    Bring some octane booster ahead... If can't find the proper stuff, somthing like http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=43469630240 (It's refined naphthalene NoT the modern formula mothballs) is good enough

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast