Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Are Benelli bikes big fat lemons.... 
    C-Moto Regular
    Jackson Hole by GuYaJu, Yanqing county, Beijing. And sometimes west coast of Canada.
    So, on removal of all the trim, I found that the bolts for the front fulet tank mount had sheared off:
    03-frontBolts.jpg

And it seemed real strange, the mounting bracket was up in the air. I could not even push it down to fit on where the broken bolts where sticking out. It was only after I removed the tank and looked underneath it that I could see the problem. Both bolts holding the top of the rear frame assembly had sheared off so, rear the frame pivoted on the lower mounting bolts. Since the fuel tank rear mount is attached to the rear frame it pulled it along ripping the front tank mounts from their bolts. the red arrow in below photo points to where the rear of the fuel tank mounts on the rear frame (and you can see how far away the rear frame assembly mounts pivoted away from the main frame.
    02-topBolts.jpg

And here is the spacer that fits between the rear frame assembly legs, the remains of the sheared off bolts can be seen protruding from each end
    02-topSpacer.jpg

continues next post...
    In China: 2013 Benelli 600gs
    In Canada: 1980-'85 Shovester (under construction), 1983 kz440

2. #42 Re: Are Benelli bikes big fat lemons.... 
    Once again Bill what shame.

The technique to entry or bye pass a toll barriers is a well sorted out way which I have used many times over the years and I am happy it has help you at a time when you most needed it.
    Looking forward to your next post to find out the root coures off the leaking Tank.

This trip is turning out to be the 1 you remember the most, not because of the great mountain you have
    viewed but because off all the problems you have had with the bike.

Take note people who are considering a ride such as Bills.

DO NOT CONSIDER ALL ROAD ACROSS CHINA
    TO BE LIKE YOU HAVE NEAR YOU HOME LOCATION.

As Bill have just found out some are in very poor sate of repair.

My advice is to ride a bike which is capable of handing the bad stuff with easy so when you hit the good stuff it's a dream.

Well good luck Bill and keep the thread updated with your progress.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #43 Re: Are Benelli bikes big fat lemons.... 
    C-Moto Regular
    Jackson Hole by GuYaJu, Yanqing county, Beijing. And sometimes west coast of Canada.
    The temporary repair starts with finding something to prop up the back of the bike so I can line up the rear frame assembly with with the main frame to re-attach it.
    05-bambooBrace.jpg

Then go to town to get the studs extracted from the spacer. A local shop welded a piece of rod to the studs and unthreaded the them.
    06-ScrewRemoval.jpg

In this little town, all I could find are soft steel hardware store bolts without an allen head. I had to get slightly longer bolts and add nuts as spacers to I could fit a wrench on the end of them to tighten all the way into the recessed frame.
    07-Bolts.jpg

This won't take care of the problem if the original hardened steel bolts sheared. But, it should be OK to get me 65 KM into the city (with no luggage onboard) to buy better bolts.
    08-BoltsGrade.jpg

And now it is attached again:
    09-complete.jpg

And now, while waiting for the new fuel tank to arrive, I am cruising on my local rental bike.
    Last photo not attaching, posting now before I lose the post...

4. #44 Re: Are Benelli bikes big fat lemons.... 
    C-Moto Regular
    I now suspect the cause of the first leaking fuel tank was that one of the bolts holding the top of the rear frame assembly sheared. This caused the rear frame to pull back on the tank and overstress the weld (rear tank mount welded to tank) causing a leak. but with still one bolt holding the rear frame I did not notice that the other bolt was broken. Although, what Prince pointed out, the number plate being out of alignment with the rear tire, was an indicator. Then once back on the road hitting more bumps, finally the second bolt sheared, ripping the new tank apart.

I can't believe I drove the bike in that condition, with all my gear loaded on the back, for 1100 km. As far as I can tell, the only thing holding up the tail section of the bike was the exhaust pipe and muffler assembly.

Now lets see if |I can post the photo that failed on the last message:
    10-rental.jpg

yes, OK, one more photo. Here are the rear flashers that broke off after hiting the rear tire
    04-Flashers.jpg

now zap strapped to the luggage rack. And they are still working, even after driving like that about 500km worth in the rain!!!

and this last photo is just a ghost that won't go away. I can't delete it:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by billeuze; 10-12-2016 at 02:54 PM. Reason: fix photo

Holy shit! That proves me love for adventure style bikes. Bill, good luck and safe trip. I am really in curious mode now how the story goes on.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

6. #46 Re: Are Benelli bikes big fat lemons.... 
    billeuze, I hope you don't think I'm picking on you, I'm just trying to point out some things that I see from the pictures so others can learn and avoid problems while on the road. I'm puzzled as to why you don't think your bike is completely overloaded? It is, and further proof is having the sub frame detach from the bike. I'm so sorry to see you're having these troubles, it's frustrating when you're trying to keep a schedule and bike problems keep getting in the way. I must say, you're attitude seems to be pretty laid back an optimistic, perfect for dealing with the frustrations of China. Good luck moving forward.

7. #47 Re: Are Benelli bikes big fat lemons.... 
    Hi ChinaV.

MCM is a great source of information with regards to riding around China you and ShuBun have been riding in China for many years and like me know to well what is the best type of bike to ride China.

You are correct Bill is,a very laid back man and I take my hat off to him for his positive attitude.
    You are correct to point out in your mind you consider MAYBE the bike is a bit overloaded ?
    I don't think for one minute Bill thinks you are digging him out he is too nicer guy for that.
    We all wish Bill well and hope he can complete his ride.
    But something tells me this is not the end that why I started this thread.

IMO he needs to unload some stuff and send it home.
    IMO he need to keep on the Toll roads from now on.

I am very concured and worried about his progress from now on considering what has happen to the bike over the last week and I have ask Bill to keep me updated daily by way of WeChat.

8. #48 Re: Are Benelli bikes big fat lemons.... 
    Good luck. I hope the trip goes smoother from now on. You have paid your dues.....
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

9. #49 Re: Are Benelli bikes big fat lemons.... 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    This is some serious stuff! People usually get punctures and broken spokes and you rode over 1000km with your frame in pieces. Its kinda funny but was definitely dangerous. This is something you can not predict. This bike was simply not designed to carry luggage. Good luck mate, hope everything will go well from now on

Hey Bill, saw your post and definitely think your assumption is right where the damage could have come from.
    As I understood the bike once fallen to the left onto the luggage box right? That could have been the starting point of the damage, as the force of the impact when it fell had to go somewhere, even you didn't see any obvious damages right after....

By the time it could become loose and moving and at the end it got broken....

Be happy that the exhaust system is reliable and kept you up straight... haha.

Anyway, if you start a trip like this damages will occur and have to be calculated as you probably did it already. When I went through Vietnam I had also issues and damages but it was always a nice challenge to fix them and get back on the road...

Wish you good luck and save ride.....

@Shuben... so the "Gummikuh" is back in operation already?

BR
    Dave
    Mailand or Madrid --> Main thing is Italy
    Bikes: In Germany Ducati Diavel AMG#259; China Benelli 600GS with Loud Pipes, since they save life's....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast