Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    While I appreciate the tough love, I think the way forward for me is to make it work with this bike. The CBR300 won't fit my touring needs. Today the dealership put a fuel additive in which seems to have improved the situation, I will revisit them replacing that sensor for me, the question is : will that be an expensive fix? Are they going to need to take the engine apart to repair it? What if I don't fix it? Do you know about how to override using ECU? When I say will it be expensive I am not looking for a way out of spending money, I am thinking maybe go to another city's dealership in order to handle it.

2. #12 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    I'm not sure exactly about overriding the ECU with a base setting, but I recall there was something about it on a muffler upgrade thread, I'll have another look, but look under maintenance and then maybe under street and see if you can find the thread, it's within the last year. As far as I can tell a Lambda sensor is pretty much just plug (bolt) and play. I think it is somewhere on the exhaust pipe, looks somewhat like a spark plug with some wires coming out of it, sometimes if you unplug it then the ECU might go to a default safe setting, so that's worth a try. Or it could just be a broken wire or connector.

The problem is that a Chinabike doesn't suit you, or you're gonna have to toughen up and learn wrenching skills quickly, develop keen Chinese negotiating skills and a thick skin. Honestly, if you are a Chinabike rider and you believe a Chinese mechanic and spend 2000 plus yuan on a new set of brakes when you could have cleaned out a caliper, greased a piston or bled the brakes then you're in for a badly hammered wallet down the road.

I understand, I was like you when I was a new rider, the slightest lack of bike perfection would give new sleepless nights. That's why I'm suggesting a new Honda with a warranty.

You really need a CB500X. But I'm not sure it's easily available, and if it is then it's probably 70,000RMB or so, which is why I suggested the CBR300, although I know it isn't really dual sport capable or high enough displacement to be ideal.

Anyhow the part listed on Taobao is 430 yuan, plus proabably 50 yuan postage. It's listed here

3. #13 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Your point is well taken, but I had my mechanic do exactly that, take the brakes apart clean them bleed them etc and they were still sticking. I spent about three days at the dealer on different occasions. The new brakes are perfect so I don't mind the investment

4. #14 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenade View Post
    Your point is well taken, but I had my mechanic do exactly that, take the brakes apart clean them bleed them etc and they were still sticking. I spent about three days at the dealer on different occasions. The new brakes are perfect so I don't mind the investment
    The brakes on the CFMOTO are pretty much the same as low-end Japanese bike brakes (as is the suspension and electrics) I don't really understand how they couldn't have been sorted almost for free. They are almost exactly the same as you'd find on an entry level commuter bike in the west.

Having said that, any improvement over that is a worthy investment, especially in China!

5. #15 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    SO I'm going to revive this since I've tried a lot to fix the TR to the point where I can sell it, but I'm continuing to get 47&48 errors. I really don't want to sell the bike with this continuing problem on it.

I actually had a very good Taiwanese mechanic who fixes Harleys and BMWs take the bike apart. We replaced the fuel injectors and the two oxygen sensors. I am continuing to get this error light. Actually another 650TR rider in Xiamen is also getting this error light. It appears ONLY when engine braking and prolonged periods of high RPMs in low gears - for example, in crappy Chinese traffic, or going downhill. The other day I went up and down a mountain three times. EVERY time I went down the mountain, the light went on, and the nature of the engine changed for the worse. Got to the bottom of the mountain, turned the bike on and off, rode all the way up no problem. Turn back around and the engine was all fucked up again.

My mechanic is confused and so am I. What could be happening? How could engine braking be causing temporary oxygen sensor failure?

6. #16 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    Hi Steve
    Are you hoping to sell the TR to some Chinese person? if this is the case then just disconnect error light if you can problem solve.
    Have you tried contacting CFmoto direct either here in China or try the OZ importer for help?
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #17 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Do you have any information as to how I could contact them directly? Dealership have called their linked mechanics and nobody is sure what the issue is. As to disconnecting the wire, I just don't have it in me to screw somebody like that.

8. #18 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenade View Post
    Do you have any information as to how I could contact them directly? Dealership have called their linked mechanics and nobody is sure what the issue is. As to disconnecting the wire, I just don't have it in me to screw somebody like that.
    From the land off I don't care a shit and screw you, you don't have it in you come on Steve get real mate.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

9. #19 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    An error light, the motor running like crap under certain riding conditions? You turn it off and back on to reset it and it runs fine for time?

Sounds like a bad 02 sensor or emission control unit. Based on driving conditions such as elevation temperature, humidity etc... (learned via the 02 sensor) the 02 sensor sends the ECU a signal to adjust the fuel mixture. Looks like ZMC mentioned a lambda sensor. Never heard an 02 sensor called that till now. Either way, I would be checking my pipes, sensor and ecu.
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

10. #20 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    From the land off I don't care a shit and screw you, you don't have it in you come on Steve get real mate.
    Hahahaha. I guess I've got some kind of white savior complex going on. I don't want to stoop to the level of the Chinese guy who screwed me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast