Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 So how does it work? 
    I have been reading as much information as I can in the last couple of weeks trying to digest the registration rules and peculiarities so that I can make an informed bike purchase but I am still somewhat lost....

I live in Ningbo (Yinzhou Higher Ed Zone), Zhejiang, in an area that my friends say you can ride a bike (its outside the "forbidden zone") but you can't register a bike if you live here. I have a solution to this problem, I may simply move to a nearby area where you can register a bike.

I have a C1E now and I wish to buy a bike legally.

I have been looking at a couple of bikes from other provinces that I would like to buy second hand but I am unclear on the process. Firstly, is it possible to buy a used and licensed bike and register it in my name in Zhejiang? If so, how would one go about such a task? Is it simply a matter of taking the old plates to the DMV with the bike's registration papers and proof of purchase, along with my residency registration papers?

Or, as I suspect, is it more difficult?

Thanks all for your help and the help I have already gotten by reading MILES of threads here : - D

2. #2 Re: So how does it work? 
    Hi
    Here is the best info I have so I could be wrong on a few points.

If you buy a bike out of your province, no problem but you and the owner will have to visit the local Traffic police to remove the existing plate.

Now I am sure but not certain but I would imagine you will get some paperwork to state this process, and I think it will be in a sealed package.
    Now with the plate removed you need to visit your local Traffic police with.

1. Police registration.
    2.Purchase invoice in you Chinese name and at the same address to No 1 which should be the same as your Chinese C1E name ( I think this need to be an official invoice not just a bit of paper from the last owner}
    3. Passport with valid visa
    4. You will need to get motorbike insurance but most agents at the Traffic police station are unable to supply this document and you may have to go to the local main office.

Now because you live in Ningbo and you are thinking about moving out to an area where you can plate a motorbike will that mean your driving license address could be a problem?
    Sorry I just don't know on that point.
    But what I can say its best to get a Chinese friend or agent to help.
    Well that the best I can come up with for now if I think of something else I will post later.
    I hope this clears up a few question but as I said I could be wrong on a few point but let's hope another member will read the thread and add or correct certain points.

The last 2nd hand bike I purchased was over 3 years ago and my memory is not as it used to be lol sorry
    My last new bike was just over 1 year ago so I am ok remembering that process

Good luck and keep us posted.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: So how does it work? 
    Thanks Prince, very good info. The license address, I m not sure if its an issue.... nothing would surprise me

4. #4 Re: So how does it work? 
    C-Moto Regular
    no, driver's license address wouldn't be an issue. I did register my motorcycle in Qinghai without a problem with my driver's license, issued by Shanghai Traffic Police. all you need - proper registration of living place.

5. #5 Re: So how does it work? 
    Fighting the bike ban!
    I don't get it, why would he remove the plate?
    Isn't the main point of buying a second hand moto just to have a plate???

6. #6 Re: So how does it work? 
    I don't get it, why would he remove the plate?
    Isn't the main point of buying a second hand moto just to have a plate???
    The plate is registered to your name and address so all traffic violation after you sold the motorbike will come back to YOU?
    So the correct thing to do is to de-register the plate and allow the new owner to plate the bike in his name and in a new province if needed.

Remember you are in China now the Logic free zone.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #7 Re: So how does it work? 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    The plate is registered to your name and address so all traffic violation after you sold the motorbike will come back to YOU?
    So the correct thing to do is to de-register the plate and allow the new owner to plate the bike in his name and in a new province if needed.

there's another issue. if you bought 2nd hand bike plated in other province and keep it under that plate, then you have to keep in touch with former owner to perform yearly police inspection (2 years for new bikes). could be not a big deal, but what if owner is some tricky greedy person?

it's better to have bike plated under your name when it's possible

8. #8 Re: So how does it work? 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post

Prince, since when traffic cameras start to catch rules violations done by motorcycles? I am just not well informed about this. two years ago in Shanghai red light crossing, turn from wrong line etc by motorcycle was common action.

9. #9 Re: So how does it work? 
    The good news here Mr steel.
    In 8 years of riding in China, I have never had a Ticket?
    Not because I don't speed or keep in the correct lane its just the way it is here, for some reason the speed cameras sometimes don't pick up motorbikes and seems like there don't enforce lane violation with motorbikes. ( well not in the area I have ridden)
    That said I still try to obey the Traffic laws.

10. #10 Re: So how does it work? 
    I have recently had a guy tell me that I would need to register a particular second hand bike in a local's name, because transferring between foreigners is difficult.
    is this an urban myth?
    Is there any guidelines to what can be done and what can't. I am nervous to buy a second hand bike only to find out that it can't be registered in my name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast