Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    So I hit a nasty pothole *hard* and blew both tires.

There's a series of small bridges that are about 1 meter too high for the road of which they are a part and the road rises up to meet them at a relatively steep angle. Local civil engineering being what it is, there's also nice square edge of concrete which stands 2 cm proud of the bitumen where each bridge abuts the roadway.

It's always been that way. It's clearly visible and makes for a nice bump. I drive over it several times a week in both the car and on the bike without issue. And the Duke 390 soaks up bumps like a champ so no need to slow down below the allotted 60 kmh.

Unless... the pavement has broken away, exposing a 5 cm square edge of concrete. Which is of course obscured by traffic that can comfortably straddle the broken pavement. So I hit the square edge, at speed, and my Duke now needs new sneakers.

The wheels appear to be ok.

The results:
    388334121917654229.jpg462149984244510197.jpg

2. #2 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    So now that you've read my tail of woe, gather my mychinamoto brothers and bestow your China tire wisdom upon me...

I've needed a more trail capable tire, but my bike came with perfectly good Conti Sport Attack tires and I wanted to see where they could take me. They actually did great on hardpack, but they can't handle any moisture off pavement and no loose stuff.

Stock tires were Conti Sport Attack in 110/70 R17 and 150/60 R17
    Rear Rim is 4.00" wide

I've been looking on taobao and tmall. This being China most of the great tires aren't readily available. I wanted a set of Pirelli MT60 RS, but everyone in China seems to be out of stock on the 17" front tire with no ETA.

The other options I have found on Taobao are:

Pirelli Scorpion Trail, Pirelli Scorpion Trail II, and Metzler Turance NEXT all in 120/70 R17 and 160/60 R17

And of course Cheng Shin Tire (CST) in 110/70 R17 and 140/70 R17

Pirelli Scorpion Trail
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...ucket=2#detail

PSCT.jpg

Pirelli Scorpion Trail II
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...4775211429&f=e

PSCT2.jpg

Metzler Turance NEXT
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...ucket=2#detail

MTN.jpg

CST
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...a-d11f39262d50

CST.jpg

I've searched fairly thoroughly in these sizes and this is all I could come up with in China for mixed use Road Trail tires. Are there other sources? I want to get back on the road ASAP.

3. #3 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    I'd go with either of the Pirellis, I'm not sure that the Metzlers are even available looking at the web. Go with the pattern you like best, and stick with the original sizing numbers if possible, some people advocate going wider, but if the original engineers chose a width why 2nd guess them?

I use the Metzeler Tourance next on my GS for 2nd time and am satisfied with it.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

5. #5 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    ...and stick with the original sizing numbers if possible, some people advocate going wider, but if the original engineers chose a width why 2nd guess them?
    Unfortunately none of the majors make road-trail tires in my stock sizes. So let the second guessing begin!

Only the CSTs are optimal from a sizing standpoint, but I feel from reading on here the rubber and tread will only offer middling performance.

I know the larger tires won't take the optimal shape when mounted on narrow wheels resulting in a smaller contact patch and thus grip at extreme lean angles, plus they're heavier, slower to turn in, etc.

I think the wider heavier tires might be nicer off-road, more stable, protect the wheels from rocks, and add just a bit more ground clearance.

Supposedly, the profile of the Tourance NEXT is steep and narrow offering quick turn-in so it might be the best compromise.

Also Metzler rates the NEXT 2/5 for gravel and trail, whereas Pirelli markets the Scorpion Trails as "Road" only in the US market, "Road" and light "Off-Road" in global markets

The Scorpion Trail II is the better of the two Pirelli's (improved wet and wear), but the original Scorpion Trail is the only one I can find in the official sanctioned retail channel in China. So availability alone may decide it.

6. #6 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    Just a heads up. After reading through several forums. Most 120/70/17's will fit the Duke 390. That really opens up the Dual Sport tire availability. You can also fit a 160 on the back with out issue. I know when I was looking at tires almost nothing came in the 110/70/17 front tire. Everything seemed to be 120/80/17 or fatter.

That being said I was thinking about going with the Pirelli MT90's when it comes down to changing mine out. They were on taobao last i checked.
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

7. #7 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    Did you mean Pirelli MT60? I don't think MT90 has any sizes close enough for the DUKE. In any case, my advice is to purchase ahead.

The MT60 was my first choice, there are several listings but nobody actually has the front tire we need in stock, not even Pirelli China. No ETA either.

Similar for the Scorpion Trail II, active purchasable taobao listings, but the sellers don't actually have my sizes instock and don't know when it would ship. Its a bit maddening.

Scorpion Trail and Tourance NEXT are instock, but I realized the NEXT listing was for 150/70 and I want to see if they have 160/60 before deciding. Waiting for them to be back online in the morning.

8. #8 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    Did you check with the shops in Hong Kong? Most of them have ways of arranging delivery in China now. Be careful on going wider, it actually makes the bike handle worse in many off road conditions.

9. #9 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    No, I hadn't thought of that. Do you recommend any shop in particular? Is there a better way to find/contact them other than start calling HK distributors?

Regarding wider, I don't have much choice. Is it better to go taller instead?

Say to go from 150/60 R17 to 150/70 vs. 160/60. +15mm seems like a big jump in diameter for the 150/70 vs. +8mm for the 160/60

10. #10 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mot View Post
    No, I hadn't thought of that. Do you recommend any shop in particular? Is there a better way to find/contact them other than start calling HK distributors?

Regarding wider, I don't have much choice. Is it better to go taller instead?

Say to go from 150/60 R17 to 150/70 vs. 160/60. +15mm seems like a big jump in diameter for the 150/70 vs. +8mm for the 160/60
    I've never had a problem going up one size on height, but it's hard to say without seeing the clearance on your bike. The other negative effect of the taller tire can be more lean on the kickstand when parked. The place I always got my stuff in Hong Kong was Sanwa. They have a small shop at the Zuhai track so they would usually drop my tires there for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast