Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    Thanks! Clearance isn't an issue for either size and I'd like more lean on the kickstand.

I was more concerned about the change in gearing/acceleration, cornering ability due to side wall flex, and wheel RPM for ABS function.

My underlying assumption was that I need to balance the change in both front and rear. I have no choice in front tire sizes. I am stuck moving to 120/70

To that end, going from:
    110/70 to 120/70 in front is 10mm wider and 9.1% increase diameter
    150/60 to 160/60 in rear is 10mm wider and 8.8% increase in diameter

150/60 to 150/70 in rear is 0mm wider and 16.7% increase in diameter

Does anyone/everyone still think going taller in the rear instead of wider is the better choice?
    Last edited by Mot; 10-20-2016 at 03:55 AM.

2. #12 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    Tire availability is in...

I can get a pair if the Pirelli Scorpion Trail with the wider rear 160/60 for 1550 RMB

or I can get a pair of the Metzeler Tourance NEXT with a choice of rear 150/70 or 160/60 for 2200 RMB

Here are the judges' scores from Motorrad's tire match-up in 2013:
    teste_motorrad_2013_ing.jpg

The Tourance NEXT won the competition overall. The Scorpion Trail came in fourth due to weakness on wet and wear tests, but offers marginally superior dry grip.

I rarely ride in the rain, but I haven't tried to tour yet. The difference in money offsets any difference in wear.

Anecdotally, the Scorpion Trail may be better off-road and the Tourance NEXT may be more "nimble" due to the profile which may help offset the effect of up sizing.

Which would you choose? Any comments vis-à-vis rear tire size?
    Last edited by Mot; 10-20-2016 at 10:13 AM. Reason: prices

3. #13 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mot View Post
    Did you mean Pirelli MT60? I don't think MT90 has any sizes close enough for the DUKE. In any case, my advice is to purchase ahead.

The MT60 was my first choice, there are several listings but nobody actually has the front tire we need in stock, not even Pirelli China. No ETA either.

Similar for the Scorpion Trail II, active purchasable taobao listings, but the sellers don't actually have my sizes instock and don't know when it would ship. Its a bit maddening.

Scorpion Trail and Tourance NEXT are instock, but I realized the NEXT listing was for 150/70 and I want to see if they have 160/60 before deciding. Waiting for them to be back online in the morning.
    Indeed, I fail (cries) Yes the MT60's

What they look like on the duke:
    http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...i-mt60s-2.html

If you do find a place to have these shipped to you let me know. I would like to switch to these. I really wanted the metzeler Karoo 3's but I don't think they have the correct front tire size. So sad...
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

4. #14 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    Tire availability is in...

I can get a pair if the Pirelli Scorpion Trail with the wider rear 160/60 for 1550 RMB

or I can get a pair of the Metzeler Tourance NEXT with a choice of rear 150/70 or 160/60 for 2450 RMB

The Tourance NEXT won the competition overall.
    None of those tires look like they will be great on wet mucky clay and construction roads. I was thinking something a little more aggressive.
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

5. #15 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Asymptomatic View Post
    Indeed, I fail (cries) Yes the MT60's

What they look like on the duke:
    http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...i-mt60s-2.html

If you do find a place to have these shipped to you let me know. I would like to switch to these. I really wanted the metzeler Karoo 3's but I don't think they have the correct front tire size. So sad...
    Will do. Note there are two versions the MT60 and the MT60 RS. The RS is what everyone carries, but it is a soft sticky compound. People reporting of having to replace the rear within 1,500 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Asymptomatic View Post
    None of those tires look like they will be great on wet mucky clay and construction roads. I was thinking something a little more aggressive.
    That's what your Shineray is for

Agreed on the clay, but as usual I'm forced into the same TIC compromise that led me buy the DUKE instead of a real adventure bike.

I haven't encountered any serious mud or deep sand. That requires a true knobby tire. Even the MT60 doesn't stand up to wet clay. The Continental TKC80 is the only knobby tire with our sizing, but it's too aggressive and I would burn up the knobs on the tarmac.

Something in between like the Karoo 3 would be nice, but that requires different wheels or a different bike.

The stock street tires got me through gravel, grass, bare dirt, light mud and light sand, these can only be an improvement.

6. #16 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    What about the Shinko 705 DS tires? They have the right sizes and looked like good reviews on a few forums.

shinko705_dual_sport_tires_detail.jpg

Or if you do want something more street the Shinko SR 880's?

shinko_sr880881_tires_detail.jpg

As far as the wet clay goes, Changchun is always under construction. Every other road has clay from them digging up the roads strung out across the road. If not that then they filled in a large section of the road and never black top over it so it is just hard packed clay which is real slick after rain. Then I also have tons of roads that are dirt and gravel mixes that I ride down every week. Those are also hell on my continental tires in the rain.

Shinko 705 rear tire review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtp-wMlhS18

PS My Shinray does not run...yet
    Last edited by Asymptomatic; 10-20-2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: forgot something

7. #17 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    Shinko? Youtube? TIC

Seriously though, yes I like them, but if they're available here I don't know where to buy them. On Taobao there's a single used Shinko 705, same for Conti TKC70, and TKC80. No Shinko China distributors or website when I searched.

If I am being clueless, somebody clue me in.

8. #18 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    Shinko? Youtube? TIC

Seriously though, yes I like them, but if they're available here I don't know where to buy them. On Taobao there's a single used Shinko 705, same for Conti TKC70, and TKC80. No Shinko China distributors or website when I searched.

If I am being clueless, somebody clue me in.
    Um I have a vpn router, i forget about stuff being blocked.

Front

https://world.taobao.com/item/535637945744.htm#detail

Rear

https://world.taobao.com/item/44442403136.htm#detail

I see at least 30 links for the tire on taobao

9. #19 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    What sorcery is this?!

Shinko as far as the eye can see! Your taobao even looks different. I've never seen world.taobao.com. It's much less of a cluster and shows the USD conversion too.

So my problem appears to be search terms... ”Shinko 705 摩托车轮胎“ returns that one used tire. Searching just "Shinko" returns a bunch of unrelated crap with a couple of odd ball tires buried in there. Searching "摩托车轮胎" alone or with sizes returns pages and pages of tires but no Shinkos.

Also somebody is going to have to school me on getting unfettered access to the outside world. I'm not sure what's ok to discuss in a public forum, but... My connection gets throttled to zero within seconds. Two different services. Its automated, the ports I am using get closed. I gave up long ago.

10. #20 Re: Two flat tires, need help picking new ones... 
    world.taobao.com takes US credit cards too!

120/90-17 that's a super tall front tire... jumping from 74mm stock side wall to 108mm. I don't think will clear the front fender will it? It's actually a even a bit taller than the upsized 150/70 rear tire.

In fact, that 120/90 is a rear tire. I'm not sure about running it on the front.

...and bias ply construction too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast