Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 American living in Haikou, Hainan, China 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey everyone, I just moved here in July of this summer, and am working at a local college here as an English teacher.

I've grown up on motorcycles my whole life (and still own one back in the states). Ironically the first bike I ever rode was a Honda Passport 70...one of the most common "bikes" I see here (more of a scooter, really). We took that lil bike places that it was never meant to be taken :) That's how I learned to ride until our dad bought me and my brother a 1980 Honda CR80. When I got too big for that, I bought a 1979 Honda XR250 that I had for about 12 years and did a lot of work to get it the way I wanted it. Once I was of legal driving age I picked up a 1981 Honda CB900F, which is the only bike I still own back in the states. It's been an amazing bike for me, and I've put over 35,000 miles on it in less than 10 years. My last bike I bought and sold was a 1999 Yamaha WR400. I had it registered for the road, and kept it for a year before I moved here to China.

So I love the motorcycle scene, and have a pretty broad experience since my dad and brother have always owned vintage and new(er) bikes. We've all done a significant amount of work on them, and have spent countless hours riding/working. Right now this is the longest I've been without two wheels since before I was 6 years old (I'm now 28 years old). So...with that said I'm really itching to get back on a bike.

Right now I'm looking to buy used since I'm not sure how long I'll be in Hainan. I may move elsewhere in China. But I'm looking at one of their newer 150cc bikes like this: http://zhuanzhuan.58.com/detail/7966...54d5&ClickID=4

So I'll definitely let y'all know when I pick something up! Glad to be here!

2. #2 Re: American living in Haikou, Hainan, China 
    Welcome to here! I cannot help you at all on the domestic China scene, but I am sure there will be many who live and work there chiming in on the ins, outs, do's and don'ts. I like your choice of a basic get-around bike rather than the 'fancy' stuff. I, personally, would look towards some of the enduro offerings available, due to terrain and what-not, although I have no idea of the terrain where you are. But it does seem like there are always rough and/or dirt roads in China, although the basic standard bikes do seem like they can handle the same terrain as enduros. Again, wait until the locals chime in...

3. #3 Re: American living in Haikou, Hainan, China 
    I have no idea of the terrain where you are
    Some of the best riding roads in the whole of China.

No need for a ADV style bike in Hainan.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #4 Re: American living in Haikou, Hainan, China 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the responses. Yeah, the roads in Hainan are pretty good for the most part, though of course there are the usual roads that are falling apart, or the occasional dirt road. That's mainly why I'm looking to stick with a smaller bike (and because it's cheaper :)

5. #5 Re: American living in Haikou, Hainan, China 
    You must post photos! I wasn't aware that Hainan was an island, and very southerly at that--seems like it would be on the more tropical side based on its latitude.