Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Joint venture: China Honda 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey guys, I'm new here. I just moved to China this summer and I'm looking to buy a bike (probably a Honda).

I know that there are steep tariffs for any imported bikes, so most manufacturers have joint venture manufacturers located in China. From what I've seen Wuyang Honda is one, and I think there is another company.

My questions are:

1. What are the other joint-venture Honda companies?

2. Is it possible to get a "genuine" Honda in China? (I'm in Haikou, Hainan)

3. Does it make any different to buy a "genuine Honda," or are these Chinese manufactured Honda's ok? What are the differences?

Thanks!

2. #2 Re: Joint venture: China Honda 

3. #3 Re: Joint venture: China Honda 
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Nut View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new here. I just moved to China this summer and I'm looking to buy a bike (probably a Honda).

I know that there are steep tariffs for any imported bikes, so most manufacturers have joint venture manufacturers located in China. From what I've seen Wuyang Honda is one, and I think there is another company.

My questions are:

1. What are the other joint-venture Honda companies?

2. Is it possible to get a "genuine" Honda in China? (I'm in Haikou, Hainan)

3. Does it make any different to buy a "genuine Honda," or are these Chinese manufactured Honda's ok? What are the differences?

Thanks!
    You have three options.

1. Made in China Honda. There are two joint ventures: Sundiro and Wuyang. There are bikes like the CBF150 or CBF190R. Prices start at about 7000 yuan for ma and pa step-thrus up to around 15,000 yuan for the CBF190R. The CBR300R which is made in Thailand and imported into China is now directly sold by Wuyang and Sundiro through their dealerships. Not sure, but guessing the price would be about 25,000- 30,000 yuan or more.
    2. Made in Thailand and imported Honda. Bikes like the CBR500R, which can be ordered legally, but the price starts to get pretty steep at 70,000 yuan or so.
    3. Made in Japan or made in Thailand high-end imports like the VFR1200F for lots of money.

Depends on your budget and your needs.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 11-20-2016 at 03:37 AM. Reason: missed a zero! Thanks V.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

4. #4 Re: Joint venture: China Honda 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    but the price starts to get pretty steep at 7,000 yuan or so.
    I think you missed a zero?

5. #5 Re: Joint venture: China Honda 
    He posted this link in his 'Welcome to MCM' post of a bike he is interested in:

http://zhuanzhuan.58.com/detail/7966...54d5&ClickID=4

I wondered if that bike is legitimate or just a sticker slapped on (probably not because we know how honest Chinese motorcycle dealers are )

6. #6 Re: Joint venture: China Honda 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    You have three options.

1. Made in China Honda. There are two joint ventures: Sundiro and Wuyang. There are bikes like the CBF150 or CBF190R. Prices start at about 7000 yuan for ma and pa step-thrus up to around 15,000 yuan for the CBF190R. The CBR300R which is made in Thailand and imported into China is now directly sold by Wuyang and Sundiro through their dealerships. Not sure, but guessing the price would be about 25,000- 30,000 yuan or more.
    2. Made in Thailand and imported Honda. Bikes like the CBR500R, which can be ordered legally, but the price starts to get pretty steep at 70,000 yuan or so.
    3. Made in Japan or made in Thailand high-end imports like the VFR1200F for lots of money.

Depends on your budget and your needs.
    Yep, that was the information I was looking for. Thanks guys.

Still haven't had any luck finding a used bike. I've been pretty busy, and the language barrier can be an issue because I have to have a friend inquire about bikes for me.

I'd still really like a 150 Honda. A local shop is selling them for about 13,000 new, so I'd definitely like to stick with used (if I can find a nice one).

7. #7 Re: Joint venture: China Honda 
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Nut View Post
    Yep, that was the information I was looking for. Thanks guys.

Still haven't had any luck finding a used bike. I've been pretty busy, and the language barrier can be an issue because I have to have a friend inquire about bikes for me.

I'd still really like a 150 Honda. A local shop is selling them for about 13,000 new, so I'd definitely like to stick with used (if I can find a nice one).
    The only thing I'd say is don't settle with 2nd best if that means a made in China without any Japanese connection eg Shineray, Qianjiang, CFMOTO or Zongshen (some people will argue that their Chinabike is great, that's fine for them, but at the end of the day the quality and resale isn't really there) don't do it. I'm not actually saying those bikes are necessarily bad, just that there is no guarantee. The Honda assembly and components are 2nd to none. Simply remove a bolt from a Honda, you'll see the thread-lock thick and even on good quality parts. The others don't come close tbh. Always cutting corners to save money, even on exported Yamaha YBR125s, the Chinese ones have a bad reputation in western dealerships.

If you want the Honda reliability stick with Sundiro Honda or Wuyang Honda. If needed you can go for a Wuyang or Sundiro non-Honda branded bike, as the engine is the same, but the other parts might be inferior and they might be a bolted together a bit rushed. Also don't totally write-off Yamaha (Jinshe) and Suzuki (Haojue) offerings rather than being bike less in the Spring.

8. #8 Re: Joint venture: China Honda 
    Beijing must have a used motorcycle shop. Even my city Changchun has a few. I was there two weeks ago and they had several used 150cc Hondas along with some used kawasaki bikes. Of course a ton of Chinese stuff.

Maybe you should ask some of the Chinese riders you see in town. That's how I found the used bike markets here.
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone