Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Getting a motorcycle license in Xinjiang 
    I have my resident visa now so I try and do the right thing and apply for my motorcycle license.

Here is what I am told by someone in high authority in police traffic bureau.

I can go for my car license but I have to wait 3 years and that will be at the police discretion whether it is 3 years before I can sit for my Motorcycle license.

So I have some options

1:Ride illegally.

I am not going to do that. I agree with Chinabiker that it is just not right.I am told the penalty that you or I would pay here if you or I have a accident even if it is not my fault are quite heavy.
    I get pissed off when people ride/drive with out a license in Australia and have an accident even more so when they have an accident and there from another country try and flee the country.

2: Give up on the idea of riding a motorcycle around here and get a car license and purchase a 4wd.
    This is annoying as I have found the perfect bike for up here and the riding up here would have to be some of the most diverse riding in the world.

[IMG][/IMG]

3: I asked can I go to other provinces in China and get my motorcycle license and come back and ride legally and they said yes reluctantly.

So I am asking other people in China who have got there license legally in China can I come down and can you help me get my license down there PLEASE.
    Last edited by bigdamo; 04-29-2009 at 02:06 AM.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    More than willing to help you in Jiangsu province but I think it probably would not work here. I assume you have a license from your home country in which case you can get your license "transferred" into a Chinese license by only taking the written portion.

My experience in Jiangsu went like this.

1st visit: Suzhou Traffic Office - They told me that my US translated drivers license by my assistant was not acceptable, they told me it would have to be translated at a certain translation office in Suzhou.

2nd visit: Suzhou Traffic Office - They reviewed my documents and told me that I could not get my license from this office because my resident permit was from Wuxi. (I work in Wuxi but live in Suzhou) Asked if the translation would be acceptable in Wuxi - They said no problem

3rd visit: Wuxi Traffic Office - They would not accept the Suzhou translated copy of my license. They said I needed to get a translation in Wuxi.

4th visit: Wuxi Traffic Office - Took medical exam, scheduled time for test.

5th visit: Wuxi Traffic Office - Took test and failed

6th visit: Wuxi Traffic Office - Passed test and got my license!

Anyway, you might try in your local traffic office asking what the procedure is to get your license transferred. The person you talked with may be discouraging you from trying.

Try Fesco. Check their website if they have a branch in XJ.
    If you want an English speaking contact, PM me - I promised not to publish her no
    Have a buddy who just did it through Fesco. He had to go there only ONCE to submit passport, original dl and 5 passport pics, fill the form, pick up the question book and pay. No med check. They arranged the test appointment and this was the only time he had to go to police. After he passed the test, Fesco handed him the license, C1D. 800RMB one week.

Other than this, the normal procedure, as reportet by bill and ZMC888, is more or less the standard. Additional doc requirements may slightly vary from province to province.
    ZMC had to have a letter from his employer and in some places they ask for a work permit.
    Andy

Where they trying to discourage me from getting my motorcycle license emm thought about that one thought my employer might have rung them too then I thought I'm starting to get paranoid.No we spent about one and half hours and spoke to the right people.

They had no problem with me getting my car license.

They didn't say no when i asked could I go to another province to get a license and ride here.

Foreigners where stopped in 2004 from getting a motorcycle license here hopefully they are wrong as I will try in Urumqi next.

Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    Try Fesco. Check their website if they have a branch in XJ.
    If you want an English speaking contact, PM me - I promised not to publish her no
    Have a buddy who just did it through Fesco. He had to go there only ONCE to submit passport, original dl and 5 passport pics, fill the form, pick up the question book and pay. No med check. They arranged the test appointment and this was the only time he had to go to police. After he passed the test, Fesco handed him the license, C1D. 800RMB one week.

Other than this, the normal procedure, as reportet by bill and ZMC888, is more or less the standard. Additional doc requirements may slightly vary from province to province.
    ZMC had to have a letter from his employer and in some places they ask for a work permit.
    Thanks does not look like they have a branch in XJ looks like just Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Thanks does not look like they have a branch in XJ looks like just Beijing.
    Yes, but it's a govt. organization. They should be able to provide that service to you - give it a try.
    Andy

Yes, but it's a govt. organization. They should be able to provide that service to you - give it a try.
    We rang Fresco and unfortunately we where told that since the Beijing Olympics govt policy changed and you can only apply where your address is.

They asked if I had an address in Beijing they might be able to help me

Thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    ... if I had an address in Beijing ...
    Need one ?
    Andy

Need one ?
    Thanks but I think they need my residents card( and they want me to hand that back to the Govt for safe keeping???) with the address on it as Beijing mine has Xinjiang

I am discovering its a strange place up here ?

I just posted a photo of the bike that I would get if I had a license.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast