Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    After taking my case all the way to the top through various government dept's and threatening to leave.

I am told that I must do the full Chinese driving test that includes the driving test.To get my car license I can apply for my motorcycle license at a latter date.

Last edited by bigdamo; 06-03-2009 at 01:17 PM.

!

Your driving record shows that you are qualified to instruct their instructors.

Time to get yourself to another province.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

China. Heaven and Hell sometimes at the same moment.

It looks like it is going to cost me somewhere between $2000 and $3000 rmb to get my car license here.

No I haven't given up yet.There is too much I want to do up here.

Me wonders if there trying to rort me?

It was interesting there reaction when I said OK I will just get a car for now.

Xinjiang is an incredibly beautiful place but also a little tense. When I had some troubles in Sichuan getting a license, I asked to talk with the dude in charge and had him write down the exact steps I needed to get my license.

I had to come back three times and each time I always had "something missing" which was total . It's like they were pulling excuses out of their .

Anyway, after getting a dude to write it down I had something to wave around in people's faces. That mixed with some jumping up and down finally allowed me to get my SECOND license. I actually had one before but it expired and they insisted I had to go through the whole process all over again. Fun yeah?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Well I got to sit for my test on Monday.

What a joke.

I have to use their translator.

I have to use the Chinese characters computer test.

The first thing he says to me is "my English is not that good".

I then start a argument with him over what is the point of him being there.

But the clock is ticking I have only 45 minutes no point in wasting time in arguing with him.

Suffice to say I did not pass 83 points.Pretty good considering I was giving him a english lesson at the same time.

Now I'm told i have to wait a month before doing the test again.

then the idiot says "that didn't go to bad you did well"

One month is total !!!

You should be able to take it the next day. Safest thing is to have a Chinese friend (who already has taken the test) go with you. Say they will be your translator.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties but...well you know.

CC

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    One month is total !!!

You should be able to take it the next day. Safest thing is to have a Chinese friend (who already has taken the test) go with you. Say they will be your translator.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties but...well you know.

CC
    Yeah I know its BS.

As they tell me this is Xinjiang China.

He also said I have not been here long enough to have a Chinese license.Should have seen my response to that.

They won't let me have my own translator which I can choose from many.

What did they say when I said I want to bring my own translator oh i forget now something stupid lost in translation .

I don't want to say this...but just f***ing ride anyway!
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

Whenever they made stupid accusations like that to me, I asked them to show me the documented policy that said I had to "wait a month" for example... or that "you can't use your own translator".

Get someone with authority in the office to write it down and put their name on it. They get scared sh*tless when they have to put their name on it. Chances are they are stone-walling you because your living and work in a politically sensitive region and hope you eventually give up. Regardless, if they don't have specific policies on how to handle foreigners in XinJiang, they should have documented policy on how to handle regular Chinese citizens and you can ask to go by those.

If they do not allow a personal translator then they should provide a capable translator. If not, then take a strong-willed and particularly loud Chinese friend and complain. Make some noise if you have to and magic just may happen.

CC

C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Suffice to say I did not pass 83 points.Pretty good considering I was giving him a english lesson at the same time.
    Dude I've failed my written test here in Jiangsu 3 times so don't feel bad. I wrote it the first two times with some friends, and after we all failed we got the nice driving officer to print off our results with the questions we had answered incorrectly. Of course, we all looked up the answers in our textbooks immediately and found 5 questions we had all gotten wrong that were actually right according to the state published textbook. When my friends came back the next time they all passed (I got an 84 ).

Just don't give up on it, and in the meanwhile you might want to get a Chinese friend to help register a bike for you with plates. Just so that it's waiting for you once you get the license, inspirational like.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast