Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 San Diego, California: SoCal Adv Tourer - Brief Introduction 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob SoCal Adv Tourer's Avatar
    MCM Members,

Hello everyone! I registered on this forum a few minutes ago and thought I should post a brief introduction.

I have enjoyed dual-sport and sport-touring motorcycling for more than forty years. Currently, I own two Honda ST1100A sport-touring motorcycles and two Honda XRV750 Africa Twins dual-sport motorcycles. I have been fortunate to experience many beautiful rides and destinations in North America while living in San Diego, Chicago and a small town in Ohio. My other interests include telecommunications (wireless/cellular networking), photography, cultural festivals, kayaking, scuba diving, swimming and camping. Any questions about San Diego, southwest United States, shared hobbies or interests are welcomed.

While using Shanghai as a homebase, I feel extremely fortunate to have visited China four times with durations as long as two months. Destinations included Guilin, Xian, Suzhou, Beijing, Hangzhou/Qiandaohu, Zhou Zhuang, Jiuzhaigou, Chendu, Wuzhen, Yellow Mountain, Xiamen/Quanzhou City, Zhou Zhuang, Zhangjiajie, Wuxi, Nanjing and many other smaller ancient towns or villages.

I am looking forward to learning more about motorcycling in China with an emphasis on visiting national parks, historical sites, minority cultures and man-made wonders. Also, I would like to share with members who may be interested in motorcycling in the United States, that I may consider a motorcycle swap or ride share with motorcyclist in China, SE Asia and New Zealand.

I wish to offer my first contribution to the forum members who have yet to experience China in person.
    You may travel to China to visit beautiful cities, national parks, historical sites, and man-made wonders, but you will return home with the fondest memories of the Chinese people.

Take care & happy holidays!

Cheers!

David
    Last edited by SoCal Adv Tourer; 12-14-2016 at 05:44 AM.

2. #2 Re: San Diego, California: SoCal Adv Tourer - Brief Introduction 
    HI AND WELCOME TO MCM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: San Diego, California: SoCal Adv Tourer - Brief Introduction 
    Always good to have another motorcyclist in Jiangsu. (or next door to Jiangsu) There are a quite a few good guys in Shanghai to ride with. Let me know if you head out past Yixing.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

4. #4 Re: San Diego, California: SoCal Adv Tourer - Brief Introduction 
    TexasAggie/Prince666 & Others MCM Members,

Thank you for your kind replies and welcome notes.

While recently Googling images of the Lanzhou area, I learned it has the red sandstone seen in Utah (United States). I also learned of a group of Chinese motorcyclist who own Honda XRV750 motorcycles in the Lanzhou area. I was extremely surprised and would like to learn if importing 25 year old 750cc is very difficult for Chinese residents. I think this is extremely rare.... If anyone has visited areas in China similar to Utah or the beautiful alpine or mineral-rich areas similar to Colorado, I would really appreciate learning about them. I will try to catch up on related threads before submitting repetitive posts about travel in China in the future.

Also, I just returned from a two month solo trip to Colorado & Utah and uploaded a few photographs. If any MCM members are not familiar with Colorado & Utah, you may enjoy viewing some of the photographs at the following URL. Also, the images reflect landscapes I enjoy visiting and photographing. I camped 56 of 60 nights while on the road...and am still trying to fine-tune my camping needs before obtaining 'motorcycling-camping nirvana'.

Here's the link/URL: (Please be patient with the free photo-hosting site's advertisements.)

http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/dk...?sort=4&page=1

Cheers!

David
    Last edited by SoCal Adv Tourer; 12-13-2016 at 11:09 PM.

5. #5 Re: San Diego, California: SoCal Adv Tourer - Brief Introduction 
    By the way, I Googled "Gansu Province china red sandstone" and selected images.. absolutely amazing. Are these images for real or are they altered/edited? Check it out. Cheers! David

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gans...HZdfAQ0QsAQIGQ
    Last edited by SoCal Adv Tourer; 12-13-2016 at 11:18 PM.

6. #6 Re: San Diego, California: SoCal Adv Tourer - Brief Introduction 
    Hi SoCal

It's always nice to see pictures from other parts of the world that people have visited thanks for posting links
    China is a very diverse country with loads of great places to see and explore.

Here is just 1 place you could be interested in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Leaping_Gorge

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Ti...+Leaping+Gorge
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #7 Re: San Diego, California: SoCal Adv Tourer - Brief Introduction 
    Prince666,

Hello and thank you for the Tiger Jumping Gorge recommendation. It has been noted. The statistics or fast facts of the Tiger Jumping Gorge are impressive. It must be beautiful motorcycling country!

"At a maximum depth of approximately 3,790 meters (12,434 feet) from river to mountain peak, Tiger Leaping Gorge is one of the deepest and most spectacular river canyons in the world."

Cheers!

David

8. #8 Re: San Diego, California: SoCal Adv Tourer - Brief Introduction 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Adv Tourer View Post

While recently Googling images of the Lanzhou area, I learned it has the red sandstone seen in Utah (United States). I also learned of a group of Chinese motorcyclist who own Honda XRV750 motorcycles in the Lanzhou area. I was extremely surprised and would like to learn if importing 25 year old 750cc is very difficult for Chinese residents....

Cheers!
    David
    Legally, impossible... illegally - maybe possible but remote chance. To legally import a motorcycle especially, there are many requirements one of which the moto must be brand new and a very new model (only 1-2 years old) with zero miles/kilometres, amongst the many other strict requirements. Also, an individuals employer (work unit) must be willing to provide approval/agreement on the importation. Welcome to MC and TIC (this is Ch!na) LFZ (the log!c free zone)...

You'll see...
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

9. #9 Re: San Diego, California: SoCal Adv Tourer - Brief Introduction 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Adv Tourer View Post

While recently Googling images of the Lanzhou area, I learned it has the red sandstone seen in Utah (United States). I also learned of a group of Chinese motorcyclist who own Honda XRV750 motorcycles in the Lanzhou area. I was extremely surprised and would like to learn if importing 25 year old 750cc is very difficult for Chinese residents....

Cheers!
    David
    Legally, impossible... I've a whole thread posted on MCM dedicated to the issues of attempting to import a private motorcycle into PRC.

Welcome to MC and TIC (this is Ch!na) LFZ (the log!c free zone)...

You'll see...
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 12-14-2016 at 02:51 PM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

10. #10 Re: San Diego, California: SoCal Adv Tourer - Brief Introduction 
    And just up the road from Tiger Leaping Gorge you have White Horse Snow Mountain Pass which you can ride over at an altitude of 4292 meters {14,081 feet}
    Which I think just short what you have just done?

ZZIMGP9347_zps7rd6qf7v.jpg

1438843824697200.jpg
    Last edited by prince666; 12-14-2016 at 04:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast