Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Hainan trip - Can I park my bike outside Shenzhen for a stop in HK? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Planning out a tour from Xiamen to Hainan and back. Last time I was around these parts we snuck onto the highway and completely dodged the Guangzhou-Shenzhen area due to notorious banning of gas powered two wheelers. But I've got great friends in SZ and HK and I really want to find a way to visit them.

So, Chinese buddies all tell me that since I have real plate and license, to just say the hell with it and force the Shenzhen police to stop me and give me a ticket which would be the worse of it. Alternatively my Cantonese mechanic in Xiamen tells me they will throw spikes at my tires and confiscate my motorcycle. A Hongkongese biker told me that he heard of people biking home for Chinese New Year riding right to the police station in Shenzhen and parking the bike right in the station. This all seems really ridiculous, but I also welcome ridiculous notions.

I'm more thinking along the lines of, is there a trustworthy motorcycle dealership or some place I could feasibly lock up my bike for a few days, near the SZ metro but outside the motorcycle banned area, whereby I can then hop on the subway and make my cosmopolitan South China dreams come true? Has anybody dealt with this and has any suggestions? I mean, I'm constantly reading about Shenzhen folks who also motorcycle. What is the secret there?

2. #2 Re: Hainan trip - Can I park my bike outside Shenzhen for a stop in HK? 
    ain't gonna happen... most of the people with bikes in Shenzhen live on the outskirts or park their bikes outside the city. You're better off making your way to Chanping/Hummen/Dongguan or some other town with direct railway access to Shenzhen/Hong Kong.

I wouldn't push the "I'm a special foreigner with valid docs" issue. The police in the area don't really take well to people not following rules. They often like to make examples out of expats.

Maybe reach out to the Churchill Motorcycle guys, they're pretty good people.

3. #3 Re: Hainan trip - Can I park my bike outside Shenzhen for a stop in HK? 
    trustworthy motorcycle dealership
    Sounds like you not lived in China that long lol
    Good luck with your trip, Hainan is a must ?
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #4 Re: Hainan trip - Can I park my bike outside Shenzhen for a stop in HK? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    How about help with a route? Where in Guangdong exactly are motorcycles banned? I just know Shenzhen and Guangdong city

5. #5 Re: Hainan trip - Can I park my bike outside Shenzhen for a stop in HK? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    According to this Chinese banned area map, certain parts of Shenzhen aren't banned, such as north rail station - is this incorrect? Screenshot_2017-01-10-05-42-39-442_cn.com.motolife.jpg

6. #6 Re: Hainan trip - Can I park my bike outside Shenzhen for a stop in HK? 
    Hi Steven
    The general rule of thumb I use when I ride into a so called bike ban city?
    Is I keep a close eye open for other local motoerbike.
    When you are riding amongst many other bikes you are fairly safe.
    When you start to notice a big drop in plated motoerbike around you then you are riding in the danger ares.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #7 Re: Hainan trip - Can I park my bike outside Shenzhen for a stop in HK? 
    Fighting the bike ban!
    Hey, where did you get this map?
    If this is true i'm gonna definitely get a motorbike and park it in a friend garage in Baoan.