Planning out a tour from Xiamen to Hainan and back. Last time I was around these parts we snuck onto the highway and completely dodged the Guangzhou-Shenzhen area due to notorious banning of gas powered two wheelers. But I've got great friends in SZ and HK and I really want to find a way to visit them.

So, Chinese buddies all tell me that since I have real plate and license, to just say the hell with it and force the Shenzhen police to stop me and give me a ticket which would be the worse of it. Alternatively my Cantonese mechanic in Xiamen tells me they will throw spikes at my tires and confiscate my motorcycle. A Hongkongese biker told me that he heard of people biking home for Chinese New Year riding right to the police station in Shenzhen and parking the bike right in the station. This all seems really ridiculous, but I also welcome ridiculous notions.

I'm more thinking along the lines of, is there a trustworthy motorcycle dealership or some place I could feasibly lock up my bike for a few days, near the SZ metro but outside the motorcycle banned area, whereby I can then hop on the subway and make my cosmopolitan South China dreams come true? Has anybody dealt with this and has any suggestions? I mean, I'm constantly reading about Shenzhen folks who also motorcycle. What is the secret there?