Quote Originally Posted by natesiy View Post
Hey Lewis,

Thanks for starting the thread here and for the opportunity to share stuff that we've been doing in the e-motorcycle industry in China.

From what I understand, local jurisdiction trumps any national regulations, so we'd have to look at each city or region individually.
In Beijing, maximum speed for electric powered vehicle is 48km/h, which requires no license or registration. Riding on an Evoke or any electric powered vehicle under this speed is legal here. Riding over the speed limit in any vehicle is high prohibited in any country and on any vehicle.

Over this speed and the vehicle is actually a 机动车, and currently would fall into the same regulations as gas powered motorcycles with a required 京A or B plate.

Our riders from all over China have not mentioned any issues in smaller cities around Shandong, Jiangsu, Zhejiang and Guangxi. Shanghai is become more challenging, and Shenzhen is off limits.

List price on the Evoke Urban S is 44,999 RMB.
We have a pre-orders going on right now in China and the US. A 600 RMB reservation fee locks in a pre-order price as low as 30k RMB for quantity orders or group buys.

We have brainstormed some alternative business models similar to leasing the batteries, but we feel that people want to own the vehicles outright in China. Perhaps in the future, we will roll something out like that in the US, but in the long run, leasing or financing always ends up being more.

It'll be a little bit until we re-touch street bikes again. We're building out a wide product line focusing on the electric power train and the internet connectivity of our vehicles. Styles will range from street, cafe racers, cruisers, sport bikes and supermotos. Basically anything that can be ridden on the street. Electric power will be a constant, along with our on-board tech, which we call Evoke OS.
Evoke OS comes with on-screen navigation, full color LCD screen (5 - 7" depending on model), rider selectable power modes and user selectable settings from the app, crash notification alerts, diagnostics and real-time bike information.

Power equivalents are hard to compare accurately. I've ridden ICE bikes for the last 2 decades and personally, I think the Urban S pulls like a 600cc to about 80km/h and has a nice gradual power roll off to our electronic speed limit at 130km/h. We wound the motor and programmed the power band in the controller to maximize torque and throttle response from 30 - 80, right where you need in on the street for passing, and accident avoidance.

Feel free to drop in additional question on this thread, and I'll be happy to check in once in a while and update the community.
It may be best to say that local regulation can expand on federal regulations, the word trump has no related meaning.
Under federal law something can be legal, locally it can be restricted. Like I said before China is a republic, they have federal laws for the nation however they are considered to have a weak constitution, the latter is what are in alliable rights.