Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 A bit about me ... 
    Hi Folks

Its great to have joined a community of bikers in China. Just a bit about me:

I'm a South African, living in Chongqing (China's bike heaven I'm told), with my wife, and been here since August 2007. I've lived in a couple of other interesting places, Ulaanbaatar, Vilnius, Cali, Bath, Francistown, Durban, Howick and I started life in Mombasa. :blink:

I have a bike history: Started on a Yamaha 175 back in '75, I soon seized it and realised 2 strokes were not for me, then a Honda XL 250 Motorsport, Honda 400 Supersport, Honda 750 F1, Honda XL 175, then a couple of years break, then a Suzuki GS750, then another Honda 750. Nothing since 1990! Its difficult owning a bike when you're a nomad. My favourite was the 750 F1 , although I also loved the XL 250. :thumbup:

I've been really disappointed that I won't be able to get anything bigger than a 250 here in CQ, and that freeways are off limits to bikes. I would have thought that the Mayor and his team would have been a bit more supportive of the bike industry here. :angry:

I'm hoping to do a bit of off-roading and exploring around CQ and maybe down the 3 gorges, together with my wife, so I hope a 250 will be up to it. I weigh in at about 110Kgs without any gear. Because we have so much rain I was thinking of getting a 250 scooter, in the hope of keeping my feet dry :biggrin:. Got to wear a tie into work everyday.

Hi Chinggis,
    This isn't only a bike community for people in China, but more of a place where riders of Chinese made motorcycles from all over the world can meet and exchange their ideas and experiences.

You can always look at the JH600 or the JH600 with sidecar.

Lots of Chinese factories also make a copy of the XL 185. Enjoy the site and welcome!

Hi Supersignet

Although I haven't managed to get to any dealers yet, I've been told that the authorities (police?) will only licence bikes 250cc and smaller. Who makes the JH600? Even though I live in CQ I really know very little about the bikes in China. I'm looking forward to getting my first set of Chinese wheels. I've asked the wife about a sidecar but she declined.:biggrin: I don't know if a sidecar would suit me exploring around CQ anyway.

Have a look around the site. You'll probably be able to find the information you've been looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinggis101 View Post
    Hi Supersignet

Although I haven't managed to get to any dealers yet, I've been told that the authorities (police?) will only licence bikes 250cc and smaller. Who makes the JH600? Even though I live in CQ I really know very little about the bikes in China. I'm looking forward to getting my first set of Chinese wheels. I've asked the wife about a sidecar but she declined.:biggrin: I don't know if a sidecar would suit me exploring around CQ anyway.
    JH600 is made by Jialing in CQ. You can contact Crazy Carl to get the factory contact. I will be there tomorrow late afternoon. I may be able to help you with translation, if required. Carl also has my China mobile.

Chinggis,

The JH600 should be suitable for your touring just about anywhere. It's a matter of getting on and actually riding...it should have plenty of power for both you and your wife.

Let me know if you want to meet up with or contact Franki. He's a proper stand up dude.

Franki,

Good luck on your ride this week! The weather here has been excellent for riding the past few days and the roads up to JZG are perfect for the JH600.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Franki and CC

Thanks very much for offering to help me connect with the factory and the info about the bike. Unfortunately I won't be able to get there at the moment.

It does sound like the bike I'm looking for, I hope the Chongqing authorities will licence it.

I decided to have a stroll down memory lane today and had a look at couple of old Hondas, especially the CB 750 F1 and the XL 250 Motorsport. Well
    apart from the fact that they look dated now, I see that they are considered 'classics'. I realised that I really am an 'old fart'. A grumpy one at that.:biggrin:
    Chongqing
    '12 Lifan 250 P
    e-biker 48/64/72v
    '77 CB 750 F1
    '75 XL 250

Love those strolls but for now you got a new experience coming around the corner...600cc's of "What have we here?"

Ride whatever bike you can: It makes more lanes for later strolling!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

You sure have a wise head on those young shoulders.:biggrin:
    Chongqing
    '12 Lifan 250 P
    e-biker 48/64/72v
    '77 CB 750 F1
    '75 XL 250

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast