Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hi there folks

I've been offline since July, sorry to have been away for so long. I've been kind of disillusioned about not being able to own a JH600 as a foreigner, and I don't have the energy or time to learn 1500 questions to get a bike licence.

The good news is that I think I'm still going to be able to get a set of wheels, albeit an electric scooter, which I understand I don't need a licence to ride. It's not a JH600 but at least it's better than walking .

I have some pics and will do a thread on a quad I rode in South Africa in July and the dealership that was very helpful and lent me the bike. However that will have to wait until I return to China after New Year.
    Chongqing
    '12 Lifan 250 P
    e-biker 48/64/72v
    '77 CB 750 F1
    '75 XL 250

Chinggis, I don't really understand you on two counts.

First is: why do you think getting a license will be hard or even necessary?
    While I except that you should really have a license, some Chinese cops consider a western license to be fine. If you have protective clothing, insurance and the bike is legally registered what harm may really come to you? Also I know a few people that have done a Chinese license and were given all the answers to the questions! As well as this Chinese road law is just based on western road rules so you should be able to answer any translated question anyway.

Second is: Why do you feel you need a 600 single?

All the proper roads I ride on in China a 250 4 cylinder bike would be the quickest. (such as a Ninja 250 which isn't legally available) Because it's fast and light. People need to get away from the idea that bigger is better somehow, it's just plain wrong. It's power to weight ratios that matter. A 250cc four cylinder bike will run circles around any 600cc single. It used to drive me nuts when I'd hear about a motorcycle club that wouldn't allow bikes smaller than 500cc because they 'couldn't run with the pack' but what if you wanted to join with a 400 4 cylinder? And lots of people in the club had 500 singles?

Plus you can flick as Ninja 250 around and get out the way of idiots.

Except when reality kicks in and the road turns into a mud-festival because the locals have decided it's time to rebuild the road, or you are in Smallsville western China and there is no other way to ride than through some kinda lunar landscape, when a 150-250cc single with knobbly tires is the best bike. If you can't drag it out of a hole with your body weight then it's just the plain wrong bike! Watch 'long way round' and ask yourself how you would be able to do the muddy bits without other riders in your group or a support crew?

I used to ride bigger bikes in countries that had ''bigger'' roads.

Chingis,

Good to hear from you again as it's been a while! I've heard it's a little difficult to get licenses in ChongQing but it should be possible if you twist enough arms. Have you tried?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Getting a licence is and isn't an issue.

The official route, starting with no Chinese driving licence involves having a medical and then writing a multiple choice test of 100 questions drawn from 1500 questions. Reading through some of the questions I'd say:
    - some are basic, logical, common sense questions, easy to answer,
    - some are confusing because the words used in the English translation aren't clear, eg. pass can mean go,
    - some questions have two answers that are both correct, but only one is recognised as correct,
    - the answers to some questions are just plain wrong,
    - and the answers to some questions are just plain gibberish.

So, getting a licence isn't a problem if one is willing to learn all 1500 questions by rote, which may or may not take some time. I have no desire nor do I have the time or energy to learn 1500 questions like a parrot in order to get a licence. I've had a bike licence since 1975, and I have owned three 750s, a 400, a 250 and two 175s I'm just not going to do it.

I'd really rather not go the bribery route, period. I was offered the chance last year but declined. Aside from my personal view there was a crackdown in Chongqing earlier this year with staff at the licencing bureau being fired and cameras being installed in the testing rooms etc. so this door isn't really open anyway.

I've read many accounts of unlicenced riders in China and seriously considered this option. However I prefer to keep things above board and would rather not have the stress of worrying about being stopped and caught without a licence in some isolated village far from help.

So for the moment I have bought an electric scooter which gets me to work and back and for which I don't need a licence and the vehicle doesn't need to be registered or licenced.

I am currently exploring the option of having my South African licence converted into a Chinese licence, via my international driver's licence. If all else fails I might just be learning those 1500 questions!

In the event that I am successful I'm hoping to get a V3 or a Shineray 250. There was a rather nice looking silver Shineray 250 (more adventure bike than enduro) on display at Chongqing airport last week but I don't know remember exactly what it was.

ZMC I've settled on the idea of getting 250, although I'd prefer the JH600. Why do I want a 600? Well, I guess its a matter of taste, I'd prefer the 600. Still after my electric scooter I'd even settle for a 150. Actually I am hoping to explore some of the countryside outside Chongqing, going as far as Chengdu or even further so I'd prefer a bigger engined bike.
    Last edited by Chinggis101; 04-13-2009 at 05:14 PM.
    Chongqing
    '12 Lifan 250 P
    e-biker 48/64/72v
    '77 CB 750 F1
    '75 XL 250

ZMC I used to own a Honda CB 400 Four and it was really smooth. However I'm not sure a multi-cylinder 250 would be in the same class as the 400. You can bet your bottom dollar if I had an illegal 400 the police would stop me sooner or later. In Chongqing 250 is the largest bike you can licence.

The JH600 isn't perfect, one cylinder and all, but I'd prefer one to a 250. However its not an option for me in CQ so I'd happily settle for a 250. As I said there was a really nice looking Shineray 250 in CQ airport but I don't know the model name. As I remember it, it looked a bit like an adventure bike but I need to find out more.
    Chongqing
    '12 Lifan 250 P
    e-biker 48/64/72v
    '77 CB 750 F1
    '75 XL 250

Chinggis you should really consider transferring your home license to a Chinese license.

I know you feel that you have 'earned your stripes' long ago and that with many years of successful riding, and having passed your test long long ago...you've probably taught many people to ride, and are possibly are an advanced level rider.

I felt this same annoyance with being forced to do the test, and rode for six years with only my European license. When anyone suggested I get a Chinese license I'd laugh. I would say, "most Chinese people can't ride and also don't look where they are going! I have a license which is legal from Finland to Portugal, from Scotland to Poland, why the hell do I have to prove myself to these idiots?"

Remember that...

1. You are TRANSFERRING you license, not having a Chinese complete test.
    2. It will take about 4-8 hours study to pass the multiple choice, questions are here: http://www.shekouonline.com/drivingtest.html
    3. Health check is really only an eye test.
    4. They will give you the final license for free.
    5. They will probably be friendly, and want you to have a license.

Yes there is a pool of around 1500 questions. Really there are a few nonsense questions but once you get a handle on the English there is actually some sense to 98% of the questions, and you do actually gain an understanding that Chinese road law kind of makes sense, and it's just Chinese people who can't mostly follow the rules which causes the problem, it is worth the annoyance.

Please don't be so stubborn, go get the Chinese license and get a bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinggis101 View Post
    ZMC I used to own a Honda CB 400 Four and it was really smooth. However I'm not sure a multi-cylinder 250 would be in the same class as the 400. You can bet your bottom dollar if I had an illegal 400 the police would stop me sooner or later. In Chongqing 250 is the largest bike you can licence.

The JH600 isn't perfect, one cylinder and all, but I'd prefer one to a 250. However its not an option for me in CQ so I'd happily settle for a 250. As I said there was a really nice looking Shineray 250 in CQ airport but I don't know the model name. As I remember it, it looked a bit like an adventure bike but I need to find out more.
    I have seen some Honda CB400's up here in Xinjiang(there are quite a few Japanese bikes up here KTM's as well) illegal of course but they have plates and no one really cares about them I guess that is until you have a accident.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123